The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

...and only rare Sinker Unicorns’ manes for Private Stock...right?
Reminds me of the other day when I was in my living room, noodling away, after having a wonderful meal at our fav Mexican restaurant. My wife walks through, gives me the “what the...??!!” eye and scrunched up nose look, to which I replied...

“Stinker mahogany...” :D

She looked at me like I was mentally challenged.

Finally collected my Silver Sky last Friday.
Had a quick play in the shop while they sorted all the paperwork out for the trade ins then it went into the back of the car. Until last night when i got home from a training course over the weekend.
I was completely trashed after the weekend i managed to unpack it, check the tuning and play it for about 10 minutes before i fell asleep. I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Hopefully i'll get a chance to try it out a bit more tonight and add the new delay pedal to the board along with the new power supply.
So far it feels really good the neck feels like the Eric Johnson strat i've got so it felt instantly familiar.

Finally collected my Silver Sky last Friday.
Had a quick play in the shop while they sorted all the paperwork out for the trade ins then it went into the back of the car. Until last night when i got home from a training course over the weekend.
I was completely trashed after the weekend i managed to unpack it, check the tuning and play it for about 10 minutes before i fell asleep. I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Hopefully i'll get a chance to try it out a bit more tonight and add the new delay pedal to the board along with the new power supply.
So far it feels really good the neck feels like the Eric Johnson strat i've got so it felt instantly familiar.
Dig in when you're rested... you're gonna love it!

Visited a great PRS dealer today who had just received a Silver Sky. It was already spoken for, but he kindly gave me a chance to play it. Neck is chunkier than I expected....more a PRS-style neck depth/shape than we find in modern Strats. Neck radius not an issue at all. Surprised by this. But bottom line: the bridge P/U is one of the most musical bridge single-coil pick-ups I have ever played....probably THE best bridge single coil pick-up. But mostly, saving the best for last, the sound of the neck pick-up is amazing. What a guitar. I understand that people have the same bias toward Fenders that many of us have to PRS, but if someone's looking for a 3 P/U guitar with a 25.5" scale....can't imagine there's a better choice, especially this build-quality for this price. PRS probably needs to open a new factory just for this model.

Visited a great PRS dealer today who had just received a Silver Sky. It was already spoken for, but he kindly gave me a chance to play it. Neck is chunkier than I expected....more a PRS-style neck depth/shape than we find in modern Strats. Neck radius not an issue at all. Surprised by this. But bottom line: the bridge P/U is one of the most musical bridge single-coil pick-ups I have ever played....probably THE best bridge single coil pick-up. But mostly, saving the best for last, the sound of the neck pick-up is amazing. What a guitar. I understand that people have the same bias toward Fenders that many of us have to PRS, but if someone's looking for a 3 P/U guitar with a 25.5" scale....can't imagine there's a better choice, especially this build-quality for this price. PRS probably needs to open a new factory just for this model.
This is why I can't stop playing it!!!

I'm absolutely not the fashion police, but if I was in a band with someone dressed like that on stage, I'd probably be wearing the same face as the drummer.

Then you’re absolutely the fashion police. I wouldn’t care what another band member was wearing, unless he/she wasn’t wearing anything. In that case, well, all bets are off.

Could somebody answer 2 or 3 questions and help me out about the Silver Sky?

1) How many pieces of wood is the body made out of and is the body like a "pancake" Les Paul from the 70s?
2) Why has it taken decades for PRS to finally bring back Alder to the factory? I love Alder on guitars. Was it price? Availability? Market or Budgetary restrictions?
3) Lastly, not related to the Silver Sky, but can we build a CE or a CU with no pickup rings? Dave Weiner ( I believe, I could be wrong ) has a Swamp Ash CU24 with the pickups directly mounted to the body like EVH ( again, I believe ).

I still own and play my first ever PRS that I bought from Thompson's Music (now defunct) in Lewes Delaware. It is a 1993 CE-Bolt on that I love. The only fault I found was that it feed back rather easily/too quickly. I even repotted the rear pickup to try and stop it, which didn't work.

Then, one day while jamming it started to feed back when I placed my thumb on the rear pickup ring. The feedback stopped!!! All this time (about 15 years) went by when I realized it was the pickup ring vibrating against the body, taking the pickup along with it!!!
Agghh!

Thank you in advance.

I believe the body is a three-piece (non pancake).

I’ve got this from Tim Pierce’s Exp 2018 video. There is a shot of SS bodies, unfinished and stacked up.

I’ll leave the other answers to those more intelligent than me!

2) Why has it taken decades for PRS to finally bring back Alder to the factory? I love Alder on guitars.

Alder’s an inexpensive wood; that’s why Leo used it on Fenders. Mahogany costs about twice as much. Alder’s also a domestic wood that’s readily available. Heck, they make doors and other utilitarian things out of the stuff.

So it wasn’t expense, and it wasn’t unavailability. This leaves us with only one possible answer: They weren’t using alder because they wanted to mess with your head. Bwahahaha!

;)

Last edited:
Paul and Rene Martinez. Rene was the guitar tech for SRV and now is the tech for John Mayer. This man is a legend in the industry and knows his sh!t

Well, I tell you what happened to me. First of all let me state that I own genuine 56,57,65,68 and 72 strats.One each of every year.Each one of them has a certain strength and each one of them is fantastic. I have had them a loooong time. A month my good friend Jurgen at Just Music Munich called me to merely test-drive an onyx first edition SSKY. All I can say, it took me about a minute to buy it, then and there. AND, I am NOT an impulse buyer and not a dentist, but a working musician with enough guitars in my array to never have to browse in music stores. People at PRS, you achieved to build the ultimate whatchamacallit three pu guitar and have by far surpassed any of the other builders who try to rehash Leo's genius from the early 50's. I would go so far to say, if Leo Fender worked at PRS and designed a new three PU alder wood solid body, I think you would get a silver sky.You even make the "wrongly" slanted bridge pu sound right and the haptics of the volume and tone pots are amazing. I could on forever.....well done!

Back