The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I’m in that category. I don’t consider myself a Strat player, but like I told probably too many people at too much length this weekend (insert Robert Hays story sequence from “Airplane!” here), playing the guitar and passing it back and forth with beerbatteredphish reminded me of what I do love about a Strat. I had no intention of buying one, but I did.

The way the pickups respond to the controls is just unreal - it doesn’t seem like going from 10 to 8 should make a note change like it does.

Best of all, you can really feel the PRS quality in the guitar, and the care that PRSG and John Mayer put into the instrument. I was commenting to Jeff in the amps department that I’m in awe of how much the various artists with signature products care about how they turn out - Mark Tremonti with the MT15, Mayer with the Silver Sky, David Grissom with the amps and above all the DGT. It all shines through in the final product, and it’s a great tribute to them and the people who build the stuff.

Thanks Alan. We pride ourselves on making the "Signature" guitars/amps for production, the exact same way that we build them for the Artists.

I spotted in a pic or two from Experience that there are now strips of copper shielding tape connecting the pickup mounting screws to the shielding foil for the pots. Hopefully that will reduce all the "my Silver Sky is static-y" posts.

I’m in that category. I don’t consider myself a Strat player, but like I told probably too many people at too much length this weekend (insert Robert Hays story sequence from “Airplane!” here), playing the guitar and passing it back and forth with beerbatteredphish reminded me of what I do love about a Strat. I had no intention of buying one, but I did.
It seems like from various reviews / impressions I've seen, people who didn't consider themselves strat players love the Silver Sky immensely and it's a way into strat-world for them and maybe the pinnacle of strat-world. But it seems like people who DO consider themselves strat players like the Silver Sky a lot but not more than their favorite strats. Sometimes differently, but rarely more. I recall an Anderton's video where they were passing a Silver Sky back and forth and loving it and gushing over it and then picked up a custom shop strat "inspired by" John Mayer and after it was obvious from their reactions, kind of sheepishly admitted they felt and sounded VERY similar.

I find this kind of interesting. That lots of people who, for whatever reason, haven't bonded with strats, fall in love with the Silver Sky and like it much more than any strat they've tried. While those who HAVE bonded with strats like the Silver Sky plenty but not more than strats. Like it's a very particular flavor of strat, but nothing terribly groundbreaking and a flavor you might or might not prefer.

I AM a strat guy, for 40 years or so, and I can say that if I ever find myself in the market for an upscale strat, I'd surely included the Silver Sky in my list of guitars to try and would give it full consideration. But I wouldn't buy one without playing both a Silver Sky and other stuff as well and deciding what I liked most. I currently have a MIM Robert Cray ** that I like more than any MIA or MIM I've had or played before, so I can't imagine ever being in that "upscale" strat market. That said, I've only had it a couple months, so it could still be a honeymoon thing, but I've played a LOT of strats and haven't needed a honeymoon since the first one. And the Cray is a hardtail, which gives it a different flavor that I REALLY like (having blocked all of my trems previously) and I have trouble imagining myself buying anything with a trem over maybe a custom Suhr or Ron Kirn hardtail if I ever did decide to upgrade.

But I'd LOVE to play a Silver Sky so if anyone want's to send me one to check out, I'm available!!!

** A ridiculously well priced $925 guitar that due to an accounting error by a national retailer I seem to have paid less than $140 for (15% rather than 15% OFF). When I discovered their mistake, I called them and let them know about it, but the poor kid on the phone didn't seem to know how to handle it, thanked me for pointing it out and said he'd see what he could do. It's been a good long while and nothing's happened, so I think he pretty much hung up and got on with his day. I fulfilled my ethical obligation by trying to fix it, but if they're gonna insist, what's a guy to do?

-Ray

Last edited:
Just a question for you Silver Sky owners:

I noticed a slight chance in the the color of the pick guard. Seems to me that it reacts with sunlight. It is (yet?) subtle,but noticeable nevertheless. I think it is cool, kind of a vintage vibe. Same with your guitars?

Dealer picture from April:

29511504_2140719235943715_6697554855872954368_o.jpg~original

A picture I took last week:

7c2956cb-f296-408a-83c4-49a8ecf04d3e.jpg~original

Have noticed on mine. Although, it's never seen sunshine!

Those of you who attended the Experience and who got to play a Silver Sky, what are your thoughts? Or, those of you who own a Silver Sky, what are your thoughts now that you've had some time with the guitar?
As the others said, great comfortable neck!

My favorite tones so far are on the clean channel in positions 4 (middle+neck) and 5 (neck). I really like position 4 when playing with my fingers instead of my pick.

I also confirm that the controls are very responsive. I like the fact that there is the perfect amount of brightness on the neck pickup so it's not too bassy/boomy like on a regular s-type guitar. You can roll back the tone knobs without loosing clarity or the tone becoming muddy.

The only few changes I would have made if it was my signature are the tuning pegs (they feel great but look cheap) and the material used for the knobs (they look ok but feel cheap and don't have much grip). But I am no JM. :)
If I could ask John Mayer, I'd be curious to know if he sanded down the necks of his Silver Skies he currently owns... That's something I might do at some point and I know he did that with his previous s-type guitars.
Also, I am not sure why PRS chose to use a headscarf joint instead of a one piece neck. I heard it's for stability/solidity reasons but maple is a super hard wood and my PRS Custom 24 has a mahogany neck, angled headstock and no headscarf joint. Is this a JM design choice?

Last edited:
Hi @Shawn@PRS, are there any updates on shipping to the USA for Silver Sky's in Horizon? I placed my order with the dealer on the day they were announced and am still patiently waiting.

Also, I am not sure why PRS chose to use a headscarf joint instead of a one piece neck. I heard it's for stability/solidity reasons but maple is a super hard wood and my PRS Custom 24 has a mahogany neck, angled headstock and no headscarf joint. Is this a JM design choice?

Strictly a guess here, but I’d bet it’s to help keep the cost down. The scarf joint uses less wood, and it’s a pretty significant amount. I don’t know for sure, but based in the neck blanks I saw at previous Experiences, the neck blanks for the S2 necks looked to be a little over half the size of a core neck blank, so it’s almost double the necks for the same amount of wood. Much less wasted, too.

Hi @Shawn@PRS, are there any updates on shipping to the USA for Silver Sky's in Horizon? I placed my order with the dealer on the day they were announced and am still patiently waiting.

The guitars for that initial order bump should be completed by the end of September, but we are building and shipping guitars every day so it might be sooner.

Those of you who attended the Experience and who got to play a Silver Sky, what are your thoughts? Or, those of you who own a Silver Sky, what are your thoughts now that you've had some time with the guitar?
I’d love to answer this, but I’m still waiting on the one that I PRE-ORDERED!
Loving my other PRSs tho...

It seems like from various reviews / impressions I've seen, people who didn't consider themselves strat players love the Silver Sky immensely and it's a way into strat-world for them and maybe the pinnacle of strat-world. But it seems like people who DO consider themselves strat players like the Silver Sky a lot but not more than their favorite strats. Sometimes differently, but rarely more. I recall an Anderton's video where they were passing a Silver Sky back and forth and loving it and gushing over it and then picked up a custom shop strat "inspired by" John Mayer and after it was obvious from their reactions, kind of sheepishly admitted they felt and sounded VERY similar.

I find this kind of interesting. That lots of people who, for whatever reason, haven't bonded with strats, fall in love with the Silver Sky and like it much more than any strat they've tried. While those who HAVE bonded with strats like the Silver Sky plenty but not more than strats. Like it's a very particular flavor of strat, but nothing terribly groundbreaking and a flavor you might or might not prefer.

I AM a strat guy, for 40 years or so, and I can say that if I ever find myself in the market for an upscale strat, I'd surely included the Silver Sky in my list of guitars to try and would give it full consideration. But I wouldn't buy one without playing other stuff as well and deciding what I liked most. I currently have a MIM Robert Cray ** that I like more than any MIA or MIM I've had or played before, so I can't imagine ever being in that "upscale" strat market. That said, I've only had it a couple months, so it could still be a honeymoon thing, but I've played a LOT of strats and haven't needed a honeymoon since the first one. And the Cray is a hardtail, which gives it a different flavor that I REALLY like (having blocked all of my trems previously) and I have trouble imagining myself buying anything with a trem over maybe a custom Suhr or Ron Kirn hardtail if I ever did decide to upgrade.

But I'd LOVE to play a Silver Sky so if anyone want's to send me one to check out, I'm available!!!

** A ridiculously well priced $925 guitar that due to an accounting error by a national retailer I seem to have paid less than $140 for. When I discovered their mistake, I called them and let them know about it, but the poor kid on the phone didn't seem to know how to handle it, thanked me for pointing it out and said he'd see what he could do. It's been a good long while and nothing's happened, so I think he pretty much hung up and got on with his day. I fulfilled my ethical obligation by trying to fix it, but if they're gonna insist, what's a guy to do?

-Ray

The MIM Robert Cray Strats are killer guitars, I started my guitar playing life as a hard tail Strat player !!! they are different and special.
I'm hoping it get my hands on a SS soon :)

I spotted in a pic or two from Experience that there are now strips of copper shielding tape connecting the pickup mounting screws to the shielding foil for the pots. Hopefully that will reduce all the "my Silver Sky is static-y" posts.
Do you have a link you could share with us by any chance?

Hang in there, please. We're trying to whittle down the backorder without losing sight of our quality standards.
I’m hanging indeed. And would much rather wait than see quality slip!! Without question.
I’m an impatient human and ya can’t really fault me for wanting to be playing one! ;)

Do you have a link you could share with us by any chance?

Don't remember exactly, but I saw it in pics from several sources between a couple Facebook groups, PRS Facebook page, and/or the Experience photo thread on the General forum here.

There was an in-progress Silver Sky out on a bench and you can clearly see the copper tape, which wasn't a feature on the first ones out.

Don't remember exactly, but I saw it in pics from several sources between a couple Facebook groups, PRS Facebook page, and/or the Experience photo thread on the General forum here.

There was an in-progress Silver Sky out on a bench and you can clearly see the copper tape, which wasn't a feature on the first ones out.

You have to zoom in, but you can see it here in my pic. Just posted it so you’d see it sooner.

https://instagram.com/p/Bj-aSz1l6Wc/

Back