The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Maybe we should take a poll and see if those who have experienced the static noise had also removed the plastic film, or conversely, if anyone who has experienced the static noise still has the plastic film on the pickguard.

I was in the shop with the luthier, from a continuity check. the pick-up mounting posts are connected to GND/return through the 1/4 Jack. however, the blade-switch mounting screws are not connected to GND/return.

as far as person to person stuff goes I suspect how calloused your finger tips are will play a role in the static or human body capacitance being introduced to the guitar.

Also wondering if the pot's are the culprit... as touching the pots creates that microphonic sound.

The guy is obviously having a little fun and enjoying life. What's wrong with that?
Nothing. Not a thing in the world. But as a listener, I'm supposed to have fun too. That song just doesn't do it for me. Nothing wrong with THAT either.

We all like what we like. I like Mayer, but I don't like EVERYTHING he's ever done! I feel the same about Clapton. And George Benson. And Bob Weir. And others... I like some of his pop stuff - but not most of it. I like his blues and Dead stuff quite a lot. Didn't love his Dead stuff much at first, but I think he's grown into it. Or I've gotten used to it more and come to like it. Whatever - just expressed an opinion on this song...

-Ray

If you want to evaluate the Silver Sky to it's real competition, compare it to the John Paige Ashburn.
I gig/play PRS exclusively for the last eight years, but I'm not a Fender guy, so I don't know.
Both sound fabulous.

Nothing. Not a thing in the world. But as a listener, I'm supposed to have fun too. That song just doesn't do it for me. Nothing wrong with THAT either.

We all like what we like. I like Mayer, but I don't like EVERYTHING he's ever done! I feel the same about Clapton. And George Benson. And Bob Weir. And others... I like some of his pop stuff - but not most of it. I like his blues and Dead stuff quite a lot. Didn't love his Dead stuff much at first, but I think he's grown into it. Or I've gotten used to it more and come to like it. Whatever - just expressed an opinion on this song...

-Ray

My post wasn't a reply to your earlier comments, it was just a statement about JM's new video. But you're right, to each his own.

anyone still waiting on theirs? i heard prs is out of the bags for them at the moment. still waiting on mine

I heard on the internet, so it must be true (ok at TGP if you must know) that they are now 18 months backordered. Any truth to this?

So much for hoping that they’d quickly make a flatter maple board with bigger fret model. You guys are buying them so fast they may never see the need to add other versions! LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from another practice. We did two sets like it would have been a gig (except for a couple of mistake fixes).
All I have to say is that as a rhythm player who has gone from HSS to SSS 305, to variations of PRS full humbucker with split, to the Silver Sky, I am finding a home base worthy of sticking to.
No way can my humbuckers be "completely" replaced. The McCarty, Mira, P22 all bring something to the table that the Silver Sky cannot.
What I'm saying is, given the Silver Sky and one amp?
Yes... you can pull it all off if you want or need to.
What a great guitar! This thing rocks and I can't stop playing it.

I just got back from another practice. We did two sets like it would have been a gig (except for a couple of mistake fixes).
All I have to say is that as a rhythm player who has gone from HSS to SSS 305, to variations of PRS full humbucker with split, to the Silver Sky, I am finding a home base worthy of sticking to.
No way can my humbuckers be "completely" replaced. The McCarty, Mira, P22 all bring something to the table that the Silver Sky cannot.
What I'm saying is, given the Silver Sky and one amp?
Yes... you can pull it all off if you want or need to.
What a great guitar! This thing rocks and I can't stop playing it.

Dude I think I can understand what you're trying to say even without having gotten my own Sky yet.
From the vids I watched, it seems like the sky is one of those guitars where you can just grab and pull off/cover a lot of Ground without having to worry about using another guitar.
But with that being said, it can't replace another guitar. In fact, I don't think any guitar could. It's just different.

Dude I think I can understand what you're trying to say even without having gotten my own Sky yet.
From the vids I watched, it seems like the sky is one of those guitars where you can just grab and pull off/cover a lot of Ground without having to worry about using another guitar.
But with that being said, it can't replace another guitar. In fact, I don't think any guitar could. It's just different.
Replace? Likely not unless you are strictly a F single coil player.
If you love humbuckers too... like me... then you get close with some twiddling, but some songs just deserve low down, dirty, gritty buckers.
I love low down dirty.

Should've been more specific. My dealer pre-ordered them at namm. Still haven't seen them

Same. Apparently mine crossed the border 3 weeks ago...... I have been told it would finally arrive at the end of the month, so that theoretically means it will be here today...right?? right???

Hi, I am new forum user , I just picked up my silver sky few days ago, I also removed the plastic from the pickguard cover , when strumming the chord hv some crackle sound , the crackle sound is near under the middle pickup position whenever touching still hv...so I go back to dealer to change the other one, still hv this problem , hv any resolve to fix the problem?

Hi, I am new forum user , I just picked up my silver sky few days ago, I also removed the plastic from the pickguard cover , when strumming the chord hv some crackle sound , the crackle sound is near under the middle pickup position whenever touching still hv...so I go back to dealer to change the other one, still hv this problem , hv any resolve to fix the problem?
If you look back on the thread, there is advice about using a dryer sheet to reduce the static.

Although I haven't experienced this myself, people that have are using one of those dryer sheets to get rid of static.
Seems to work well.

Back