The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

John Mayer with his SS spotted at 2:28 :D
And at 1:45 and 2.45 and about 3:15.

I gotta say, though, as much as I like Mayer as a guitarist, and I like him a LOT as a blues guy and in his Dead related stuff, that's the kind of song that makes JM haters be JM haters. I hope to personally never hear it again, no matter what guitar he used on it...

I dunno what you're on about. That's a great song and a hilarious music video. I've been listening to it daily since it came out and the music video just makes it better.

The thing about haters is that most of them will always be haters, no matter what. And I think John knows that. He's just doing his thing and having fun with it. It's their loss they're missing out on such a great artist.

PS: It's also been trending on Youtube since it's released. There's obviously plenty of people that like it.

I dunno what you're on about. That's a great song and a hilarious music video. I've been listening to it daily since it came out and the music video just makes it better.

The thing about haters is that most of them will always be haters, no matter what. It's their loss they're missing out on such a great artist.
Well, to each their own I s'pose. I like Mayer, don't consider myself a hater at all, but I never need to hear that particular song again. I like enough of his stuff to give any of it a listen. But it's gotta earn the second listen, and that one doesn't for me...

-Ray

The thing about haters is that most of them will always be haters, no matter what. And I think John knows that. He's just doing his thing and having fun with it. It's their loss they're missing out on such a great artist.

PS: It's also been trending on Youtube since it's released. There's obviously plenty of people that like it.

This. One of the things I love about Mayer is he's clearly having fun. I love when artists do that - it's one of the things that initially attracted me to Barenaked Ladies, and once they lost that, I fell off the bus quickly. Nothing wrong with having some joy in your music.

This. One of the things I love about Mayer is he's clearly having fun. I love when artists do that - it's one of the things that initially attracted me to Barenaked Ladies, and once they lost that, I fell off the bus quickly. Nothing wrong with having some joy in your music.

I'm with you and DrDoom!

If you close your eyes or avert your gaze, this is a really catchy song.

It’s only the “young crew” that need a video to sell the song. Us mature guys just switch on the radio or iPod nano;)

DishonestTornAnaconda-max-14mb.gif

welp, already having issues with my Silver Sky. it seems the volume output dropped significantly across all the pickups when I plugged it in today. the three knobs still work and function as they should the volume is just really low and kind of muffled/warm. other guitars work fine so it's not the amp. really disappointed and a little frustrated as this is my first experience owning a PRS guitar, especially one this expensive. according to some of the posts in this thread I'll have to have this shipped back to the factory to be looked at?? at my expense?

welp, already having issues with my Silver Sky. it seems the volume output dropped significantly across all the pickups when I plugged it in today. the three knobs still work and function as they should the volume is just really low and kind of muffled/warm. other guitars work fine so it's not the amp. really disappointed and a little frustrated as this is my first experience owning a PRS guitar, especially one this expensive. according to some of the posts in this thread I'll have to have this shipped back to the factory to be looked at?? at my expense?
Bummer!
Where did you buy it?

You should contact your dealer, or PRS Customer Service. You'll be taken care of.

How does the width of the fret board on the Silver Sky compare to the current Strat models? Wider? More narrow?

How does the width of the fret board on the Silver Sky compare to the current Strat models? Wider? More narrow?

I can't comment on current Strat models but if I'm comparing the SilverSky fret board to my pre-CBS Strats, the Silver Sky is much wider. Not marginally wider, much wider, and it is very noticeable. When they say the neck is based on a 63/64 neck profile, I would agree that it is vintage Strat inspired, but adapted to a much wider board.

How does the width compare to PRS necks? More narrow than a Pattern? Wider than Pattern Regular? Thanks!

Narrower than Pattern. Same at the nut as a Pattern Regular, but probably a touch less taper.

Last edited:
Back