The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Because not every SS has the problem (and not every Strat or Strat copy), it is obviously NOT the design of the pickup cavity.

Plastic and low humidity with minimal grounding/shielding.

Solution:
More humidity.
More shielding/grounding.
Less unsupported theories.

Last edited:
Ok I try to find different words.
In my opinion and only my opinion the design of the pickup cavity is not the best choice. There is no wood around the pickups .The whole pickup cavity is basically "empty".
From my limited understanding this could maybe one reason for the static noise issue.
And this should not be a normal "noise" for a new guitar. And it also looks like that not every Silver Sky has this problem. So what exactly causes the problem I don't know but the design of the pickup cavity could add to that.

Is this better?

Sorry to say this but no, lack of wood has nothing to do with static noise.

@rugerpc summed it up perfectly.

So is prs adding more shielding now on current builds?

No, the unfinished pickup cavity and minimal shielding were a purposeful design choice. Mayer talks about it in his long video and Shawn posted some pics in this thread saying much the same.

If they are working on changing anything to address the spuratic cases of static, they have not announced anything.

In my opinion and only my opinion the design of the pickup cavity is not the best choice. There is no wood around the pickups .The whole pickup cavity is basically "empty".
From my limited understanding this could maybe one reason for the static noise issue.
And this should not be a normal "noise" for a new guitar. And it also looks like that not every Silver Sky has this problem. So what exactly causes the problem I don't know but the design of the pickup cavity could add to that.

Is this better?

Dude, I really hate to break it to you, but obviously you are wrong here.

There is no wood around the pickups .The whole pickup cavity is basically "empty".

Really? Is that so?

2117e7ce40a215e76038d1f7978f38ac.jpg~original

(Picture was taken from a JM discussion board).

Doesn't look that way to me, does it?

What you were falsely claiming the Silver Sky has, is the notorious "swimming pool route" which Fender did in the seventies. And it actually looks like this:

SwimmingPool.jpg~original

Don't you think, that the difference is obvious?

No I didn't meant the 'swimming pool'. But you are right there is more wood to the neck and middle pickup than I had in mind.
But it's still an obvious difference to a 'standard' strat.

I still have the plastic protection on my pickguard but it starts to roll off at the edge.
Did anybody experience a difference with the protection on/off regarding the static noise?
What's the best way to get rid of the plastic?

Thanx

Is this better?

Huh? No wood around the pickups?

No I didn't meant the 'swimming pool'. But you are right there is more wood to the neck and middle pickup than I had in mind.
But it's still an obvious difference to a 'standard' strat.

I still have the plastic protection on my pickguard but it starts to roll off at the edge.
Did anybody experience a difference with the protection on/off regarding the static noise?
What's the best way to get rid of the plastic?

Thanx
Peel it off and then use the dryer sheet on the pickguard and neck.
Maybe try with another dryer sheet or even brand just to make sure.

Also, stay away as much as possible from things that generate a lot of statics (e.g. wearing socks on a carpet).

Good luck!

There is a considerable cavity beneath the guard compared to vintage Strat routing, but I don't think it's a factor in the static. I've had two Strats with the swimming pool (still have one) and I have never had static issues. Other people have reported the issue on Strats, Teles, SGs, anything with a large pickguard.

I was poking around on other forums a little for solutions. Looked like fully shielding the back of the guard was a common solution and, interestingly enough, just lining the back of the guard with a dryer sheet and putting it back on seemed to work too!

Long and McQuade? I'm in the same boat, they don't seem to have a lot of information on when they will arrive. I have been told any day now, up to a month, and up to two months by different employees. I was told I have my name on the first guitar they ordered and I haven't seen mine yet, so assuming they are telling the truth...I would guess Canada hasn't got any yet.
Did you ever end up hearing from long and mcquade? I’m still waiting myself. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what strings / gauge are being shipped with the SS?

Back