The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Yeah sorry, Guitar Shop. I was going to order from them but decided to just put some money down at my local store. They told me they ordered as soon as the guitars were available for order so I don't know why the wait has been so long. They are pretty sure mine will come with the hardshell case (since it was shipped several weeks ago), but I guess I'll see when it finally arrives.

I live in Montreal but I have dealt with them a couple of times online and once in store when I was visiting GTA and I really recommend these guys. Excellent customer service and great people.

I wish you a prompt delivery! Believe me (and all the others who own a SS), it's worth the wait!

Last edited:
New to the forum, but has it been determined how many times you can call the local shop to check on shipping status before it is considered stalking?
Welcome BCDenver!
Now... are you gonna pipe down, or am I going to pull this car over right now?!!???:mad:
:D
Anyway... no. Waiting for your numbers, and maybe there'll be a contest!

Located in Ontario. Ordered mine from Jack Gretz and received my Tungsten about a month ago.

HI! New forum user here. just bought a Silver Sky. First off wow...what a guitar! Strange thing with it tho....when my fingers brush against the pickguard it makes a static sound...I tried different amps and different cords with the same effect. Its under the middle pickup between the pickup and selector switch. Going to have to take it back and have it looked at. I rub my finger on the pickguard in that area and it creates a static noise. Anyone run across anyone having this issue?

HI! New forum user here. just bought a Silver Sky. First off wow...what a guitar! Strange thing with it tho....when my fingers brush against the pickguard it makes a static sound...I tried different amps and different cords with the same effect. Its under the middle pickup between the pickup and selector switch. Going to have to take it back and have it looked at. I rub my finger on the pickguard in that area and it creates a static noise. Anyone run across anyone having this issue?
Welcome to the forum.
There was a thread about the static a little while ago. I’m too lazy to search for it but it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

Hi, also a new forum member.

I ordered a Silver Sky in Tungsten on the 9th of March. Monday i received a email that i could pick it up (with a tank of a case!!) at the dealer, here in the Netherlands, so i thought i'll share my thoughts and first impression on the guitar.

The moment i took the guitar in my hands when i was in the shop, i noticed this guitar is on the lighter side, maybe it also feels that way because it feels and looks so well balanced. The finish looks really nice, nice sparkle when the light hits the surface. It also seems like they've use a really thin layer of lacquer. In the sunlight you can see where they've sanded the guitar on the edges. And that is a good thing in my opinion. They made sure (by hand) the shapes of the guitar are all perfect and smooth like it should be. And i think the thin layer also helps (like all the other extra's details) the guitar to vibrate like it does.

So i 'threw' the guitar in the car, i drove home for almost 3 hours though traffic jams and what not.

When i finally arrived at home, i took it out of the case, plugged it in a well known 6L6 tubed amp and played a tune i was dreaming away with that morning, on a strat.

The first thing i noticed is how punchy it is. With the tone on 10 it's probably a little to bright for me in some cases, but it's still a usable tone. Roll it back a little and the tone is still there, but extremly usable for my taste, instead of losing all of the flavor and getting all muddy, if that makes sense. What i also noticed and what in my opinion is a big difference compared to my other guitars, is that all the strings sound just as loud.

And then we have the neck. For me, all the fuzz about the radius and the frets, i just don't get it. I'm used to really large frets, which all my guitars are equipped with. But man, this neck is just so great!! The smaller frets, i dig it. It feels fast, super smooth, easy to handle, very familiar, like i've played it for 20 years. About the radius, i'm not a guy who talks about the radius of the guitar, i just don't care. I just play it and if it happens to be 7.25 or 9.5, then that's that. If i like it, i play it. And this neck, to be honest, incl. the well discussed frets, i LOVE it.

The guitar outperforms my expectations. It looks even more classy in real life compared to the pictures, it looks like a expensive tool you don't want to keep in the case all day, which you shouldn't anyway.

So there you have it. I hope the rest of the Silver Sky owners will enjoy it just as much!

Cheers,

Paul

I ordered a Silver Sky in Tungsten on the 9th of March. Monday i received a email that i could pick it up (with a tank of a case!!) at the dealer, here in the Netherlands, so i thought i'll share my thoughts and first impression on the guitar.

The moment i took the guitar in my hands when i was in the shop, i noticed this guitar is on the lighter side, maybe it also feels that way because it feels and looks so well balanced. The finish looks really nice, nice sparkle when the light hits the surface. It also seems like they've use a really thin layer of lacquer. In the sunlight you can see where they've sanded the guitar on the edges. And that is a good thing in my opinion. They made sure (by hand) the shapes of the guitar are all perfect and smooth like it should be. And i think the thin layer also helps (like all the other extra's details) the guitar to vibrate like it does.

So i 'threw' the guitar in the car, i drove home for almost 3 hours though traffic jams and what not.

When i finally arrived at home, i took it out of the case, plugged it in a well known 6L6 tubed amp and played a tune i was dreaming away with that morning, on a strat.

The first thing i noticed is how punchy it is. With the tone on 10 it's probably a little to bright for me in some cases, but it's still a usable tone. Roll it back a little and the tone is still there, but extremly usable for my taste, instead of losing all of the flavor and getting all muddy, if that makes sense. What i also noticed and what in my opinion is a big difference compared to my other guitars, is that all the strings sound just as loud.

And then we have the neck. For me, all the fuzz about the radius and the frets, i just don't get it. I'm used to really large frets, which all my guitars are equipped with. But man, this neck is just so great!! The smaller frets, i dig it. It feels fast, super smooth, easy to handle, very familiar, like i've played it for 20 years. About the radius, i'm not a guy who talks about the radius of the guitar, i just don't care. I just play it and if it happens to be 7.25 or 9.5, then that's that. If i like it, i play it. And this neck, to be honest, incl. the well discussed frets, i LOVE it.

The guitar outperforms my expectations. It looks even more classy in real life compared to the pictures, it looks like a expensive tool you don't want to keep in the case all day, which you shouldn't anyway.

So there you have it. I hope the rest of the Silver Sky owners will enjoy it just as much!

Cheers,

Paul

Well said! I got mine yesterday and completely agree with your assessment!

Cheers,

Paul
Couldn't agree more! You nailed it! Congrats on your purchase!

And then we have the neck. For me, all the fuzz about the radius and the frets, i just don't get it. I'm used to really large frets, which all my guitars are equipped with. But man, this neck is just so great!! The smaller frets, i dig it. It feels fast, super smooth, easy to handle, very familiar, like i've played it for 20 years. About the radius, i'm not a guy who talks about the radius of the guitar, i just don't care. I just play it and if it happens to be 7.25, 9.5 or 10, then that's that. If i like it, i play it. And this neck, to be honest, incl. the well discussed frets, i LOVE it.

Cheers,

Paul
I 100% agree with you!
I don't understand either the fuss about the radius. 7.25 vs 9.5 or 10, I cannot tell the difference with my Custom 24. Also, I have 12in, 15in and 17in radius guitars and I don't have a particular preference as far as the radius.

Last edited:
OK, here is a belated NGD for my Onyx Silver Sky.

The guitar is on the light side compared to the ubiquitous S-type guitar that it is supposedly modelled after. 6lbs 15oz to be exact. Balance is great.

The finish is very good, and thin, at certain areas you can see the sanding marks below. This could be considered good or bad, depending on your point of view. The metallic black (Onyx) has a nice silver sparkle in it that is much more obvious in the flesh than in pictures.

The nitro finish on the neck is glossy but has a very very slight satin in it. Almost imperceptible unless you compare it to the S-Type equivalent, then it becomes obvious. The finish is polished flawlessly and glass smooth.

The hardware like the bridge, strap pins, heel plate, and especially the jack cup and the tremolo block are top notch quality items. The plastic tuner tips are a little disappointing, but they are very functional and positive when tuning, so one can't really complain. The bird inlays are just plain off-white and have no swirl or any effect in them. The pickup covers are nicely rounded/radiused at the edges. The pickguard is pure white, would have been nice if it had some tint to it, though.

I like the headstock shape. Has the familiar transitions at the bass and treble sides like S-types.

I did not like that new strings get caught at the tremolo plate/block transition when you try to put it through the hole.

The tremolo scews through body into the rear cavity are so neat. No splinters. Good effort.

The neck profile is like my pre-CBS '63, except that it has much more "reverse" asymmetry and has a wider fretboard, so the strings don't fall off the sides and you have more playing room at the edges. I've conversed with a couple of owners on the forum and I have confirmed that the treble side has more meat and shoulder than the bass side. PRS customer service has also confirmed this to be true. @Shawn - I didn't intend to imply that you were lying, just wanted to have empirical evidence from actual owners in the field to see if they notice it - true or false was really meant to be yes or no in the scientific sense - rather than truth or falsehood (lying). At first I couldn't understand why some others could not perceive it, as it was glaringly obvious to me, but I have accepted that is subjective.

The sound is tremendous. It is punchy and dynamic and has such a broad range, it's amazing. However, I am not sure if such a rich timbre is good for recording, performing or for effects - as I play mostly clean or with a touch of crunch. There is too much treble at 10, though - same as what PaulsGear mentioned in his NGD above - and I find that I play it permanently with the tone at 8, then it sounds "normal".

This guitar rivals my pre-CBS Strats. I have a '61, a '62 and a '63, and at the moment I find myself grabbing the Silver Sky more than them.

We need more pictures in this thread:

1-silverstarall_grande.jpg

Like this ?

L1000816.jpg~original

Back