The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Now that I’ve had my SS for a while...and had some time to compare it to some pretty nice F guitars...I’m appreciating even more the thought and incredible detail that went into this design. I took some up close comparison pics...and will post them here with my impressions, as a source of information for those who question the uniqueness of the features or the value of this guitar (most of whom haven’t seen or played one). Since the obvious differences like FB radius, frets, neck profile, headstock angle and shape have been discussed ad nauseum...I’m going to focus on the “little things” that demonstrate the effort and thought that went into making this guitar...and making it feel and sound so good.

Now that I’ve had my SS for a while...and had some time to compare it to some pretty nice F guitars...I’m appreciating even more the thought and incredible detail that went into this design. I took some up close comparison pics...and will post them here with my impressions, as a source of information for those who question the uniqueness of the features or the value of this guitar (most of whom haven’t seen or played one). Since the obvious differences like FB radius, frets, neck profile, headstock angle and shape have been discussed ad nauseum...I’m going to focus on the “little things” that demonstrate the effort and thought that went into making this guitar...and making it feel and sound so good.

Great looking forward to see that.

OK...first up...bridge mounting screws. Theoretically the pullout strength of these screws should be increased with increasing diameter and percentage of threads engaged (and of course the shear strength of the material it is screwed into). I would assume that this would affect sustain and improve tuning stability, as well as durability of the Trem unit.

Fender American Elite (~2K)
QC674Cj.jpg

Fender CS Journeyman Clapton (~5K)
1EURgYR.jpg

Notice...the bottom of the Trem cavity is level all the way to the block on the F guitars, but the bridge mounting screws do not extend 100% through the body of the guitar (they are not visible).

Now note the evolution of the PRS S-types.

NF3
zj90bmG.jpg

Tip of screws just visible, end of cavity near bridge block a bit more shallow (I assume to allow “up bends” on the Trem)

Now the Brent Mason
1OfrICn.jpg

The screws are through a bit farther, the trem cavity a little less shallow near the block...more of the screw thread is in contact with the body wood.

And now the SS

dlHaMTR.jpg

Screws all the way through (rounded to prevent injuring the tinkerer, slightly countersunk to avoid chipping the finish if screw adjustments needed), the body is full thickness, but up-bends can still be accommodated because the bridge block is slightly further away. More contact, 100% through the thicker wood.

If you look closely...you appreciate how they are constantly testing their designs and improving in small increments. Result...the beautiful, full tone, enhanced sustain and tuning stability of the SS.

Next...bridge saddles...part one.

Fender CS Journeyman Clapton
qcznFgN.jpg

And the Silver Sky
frpp9lO.jpg

The steel saddles are thicker and the break angle of the string over them is sharper on the PRS...both of which should increase sustain. They are also more consistently manufactured, look how straight across they sit c/w the Strat. The longer and thicker saddle mounting/intonation screws and the grooves for the height adjustment screws also should increase tuning stability and adjustability.

Last edited:
Here’s a quickie...pickguard and backplate mounting screws.

UA1EFxx.jpg

Left to right, American Elite>CS Clapton (slightly shorter and smaller thread, hard to see)...PRS on the right, longer and thicker...look close at how much smoother the machining on the threads is. Yeah...I know...stupid insignificant detail...but when no detail is too small to improve, you’re a little more sure they got all of the important details right.

And finally...bridge saddles, part two.

Ever find scratches on your picking hand after playing a strat? Ever have to change your picking/muting technique because of an inconveniently located sharp edge?

CS Clapton Journeyman
Orgm8e6.jpg

PTTWjhr.jpg

Ouch...look at those sharp edges on the saddles around where the holes for the height adjustment screws were drilled! The ends of the screws are pretty sharp too.

And just so you don’t think that is just rust/corrosion from the relicing...here’s a pristine new CS Masterbuilt Clapton (a little better).
ZwAXvKM.jpg

And here is the Silver Sky...smooth a silk. Edges of the screw holes are rounded nicely, almost counter sunk.
zi1Wwuw.jpg

I'm really enjoying this new model, and the closer I look I realize why it feels and sounds so good, and I appreciate that it is really a great value.

Next...bridge saddles...part one.

Fender CS Journeyman Clapton
qcznFgN.jpg

And the Silver Sky
frpp9lO.jpg

The steel saddles are thicker and the break angle of the string over them is sharper on the PRS...both of which should increase sustain. They are also more consistently manufactured, look how straight across they sit c/w the Strat. The longer and thicker saddle mounting/intonation screws and the grooves for the hieight adjustment screws also should increase tuning stability and adjustability.

And finally...bridge saddles, part two.

Ever find scratches on your picking hand after playing a strat? Ever have to change your picking/muting technique because of an inconveniently located sharp edge?

CS Clapton Journeyman
Orgm8e6.jpg

PTTWjhr.jpg

Ouch...look at those sharp edges on the saddles around where the holes for the height adjustment screws were drilled! The ends of the screws are pretty sharp too.

And just so you don’t think that is just rust/corrosion from the relicing...here’s a pristine new CS Masterbuilt Clapton (a little better).
ZwAXvKM.jpg

And here is the Silver Sky...smooth a silk. Edges of the screw holes are rounded nicely, almost counter sunk.
zi1Wwuw.jpg

I'm really enjoying this new model, and the closer I look I realize why it feels and sounds so good, and I appreciate that it is really a great value.

These posts take the cake. Esp the saddle one. Thanks for sharing.

Great pics and info, Tosca.

As many here know, I think Fender is a terrific company, and goodness knows they’ve been great working with my son’s band. But I became a PRS guy not long after he was born, because I like what PRS does with electric guitars, and that’s that.

It’s the details. They matter. I like different details than my son does. Both views are “right.”

Great pics and info, Tosca.

As many here know, I think Fender is a terrific company, and goodness knows they’ve been great working with my son’s band. But I became a PRS guy not long after he was born, because I like what PRS does with electric guitars, and that’s that.

It’s the details. They matter. I like different details than my son does. Both views are “right.”

Agreed...both companies are aiming for a slightly different target...and there is certainly room for both. Obviously I’ve got nothing against Fender...that’s where I started...and the “keepers” pictured above will remain part of my collection, hopefully for a long, long time. These posts are merely a response to rampant comments that PRS is making unimaginative overpriced copies. The company is constantly innovating and refining. I just wanted to represent the viewpoint of those of us who will take a closer look and appreciate PRS’s effort and commitment to quality.

leo is dead, so when prs finally buys fmi, paul will be making real fender stratocasters. think of that.

Agreed...both companies are aiming for a slightly different target...and there is certainly room for both. Obviously I’ve got nothing against Fender...that’s where I started...and the “keepers” pictured above will remain part of my collection, hopefully for a long, long time. These posts are merely a response to rampant comments that PRS is making unimaginative overpriced copies. The company is constantly innovating and refining. I just wanted to represent the viewpoint of those of us who will take a closer look and appreciate PRS’s effort and commitment to quality.

Has anyone seen a Frost Silver Sky for sale that isn't preorder? I've seen these randomly popping up at stores for sale over the last few weeks but not too many in Frost. Only one I can find in-stock is overseas in the Netherlands for about $4k. Is my best bet putting myself on a waitlist at a local dealer?

I've been reading every forum post and watching every YouTube clip and really want to track down this guitar.

Side note: Thank you Shawn for all your responses on here. Love to see a company answering questions and posting much wanted pictures (the gig bag looks great!).

Thanks,
Longtime reader, first time poster

Has anyone seen a Frost Silver Sky for sale that isn't preorder? I've seen these randomly popping up at stores for sale over the last few weeks but not too many in Frost. Only one I can find in-stock is overseas in the Netherlands for about $4k. Is my best bet putting myself on a waitlist at a local dealer?

I've been reading every forum post and watching every YouTube clip and really want to track down this guitar.

Side note: Thank you Shawn for all your responses on here. Love to see a company answers questions and posting much wanted pictures (the gig bag looks great!).

Thanks,
Longtime reader, first time poster

Hi and welcome!

Occasionally I'll see a dealer post an available guitar on social media. The next time I see one, I'll post a link for anyone who may be looking.

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for replying my email to customer service regarding my concern about the neck profile on my Silver Sky being slightly asymmetrical with more meat on the treble side and lower shoulders on the bass side, opposite to what is conventionally out there and to some might even consider counter-intuitive. You mentioned this is a feature that John Smith and John Mayer built in to the Silver Sky neck profile. Could you tell us more about it?

Thanks.

Back