The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I got a chance to play this last night for about an hour and I plan on going back for more later today. If you're looking to add a guitar with 3 single coils to your arsenal, you'll want to check out a Silver Sky!

Onyx with Birds!

IMG_1238.jpg

I got a chance to play this last night for about an hour and I plan on going back for more later today. If you're looking to add a guitar with 3 single coils to your arsenal, you'll want to check out a Silver Sky!

Onyx with Birds!

View attachment 6245
Awesome pic Shawn! From all the reviews I am looking the Silver Sky is just has an AMAZING warm and very vintage tone! every video blowing my mind off!!! Really cannot wait to get mine!!! Cheers guys for bringing new sound to the Single coiled guitar world :):):)

Onyx with Birds!

View attachment 6245

Awesome pic Shawn! From all the reviews I am looking the Silver Sky is just has an AMAZING warm and very vintage tone! every video blowing my mind off!!! Really cannot wait to get mine!!! Cheers guys for bringing new sound to the Single coiled guitar world :):):)

This is what's making me so pumped too.
When it was first announced, honestly I just wanted to buy it as a collectible since I'm getting one with hardcase and because I'm a Mayer fan.
But with every review it seems like although it was made for JM specs, it's a really good guitar that can be used for anyone apart from JM to get that S-style guitar tone. And since I don't actually own a S-style. This could be my end all.

Alright, after playing this guitar for 4 hours+ through my rig, here are my thoughts. First, the tone is clear, articulate and chimey. The neck pickup sounds amazing as do the neck/middle settings and the middle/bridge settings. Like vintage single coils, these pickups are not forgiving. If your playing is sloppy, this guitar will let you know. I find the bridge pickup to be particularly exacting. But this simply gives me an incentive to become a better player. The guitar takes gain very well and it offers a full throated growl when call upon, without loosing the articulation of the notes.

The tuners are the bomb. I love how the buttons feel and I love the precision of the gears. This was a big surprise for me because I wasn't expecting to like the tuners all that much. And of course, they hold the guitar in tune extremely well.

The tuning stability on this thing is effing ridiculous! Even with trem use, the guitar did not want to go out of tune. To be honest, I only had to tune the guitar when I was tuning down a half step (or back up). All of m PRS hold tune extremely well, but the Silver Sky beats them all in this department.

The neck. It feels great, as you knew it would. John and Paul aren't going to do anything half assed and the neck reflects their amazing attention to detail. It doesn't feel like a PRS neck carve, but it's comfy nonetheless. The frets and fretboard radius were complete none issues for me. We've all heard the talk about a 7.25 radius or the vintage style frets being a deal breaker for some. If that's you're thinking, but aside your preconceived notions and give the guitar a try. I believe JM said in a video, these really aren't an issue for him and I found the same to be true. This guitar simply plays like an well built instrument. The headstock has a scarf joint unlike an S guitar, which has no headstock angle. Because the other guys don't use a headstock angle, they rely on string trees to pull the strings down from the nut. The Silver Sky has an actual angle to the headstock and we use the scarf joint to achieve that angle. The scarf is smooth and flows seamlessly into the neck. I also believe the scarf joint adds to the tuning stability, because of the grain of the headstock and the grain of the neck work in opposite directions making for a extremely stabile neck.

Trem arm. I know this is a minor thing, but I really love the trem arm on the Silver Sky. The "leg" on this arm is slightly longer than a traditional PRS trem arm which allows the arm to sit a little higher off the body than a typical PRS trem arm. This provides extra clearance above the control knobs and switch. A real plus considering the controls don't sit in the body divots you would find on a PRS carved top.

The nut. The nut is a polished piece of bone which is cut beautifully. This is another reason the guitar stays in tune so well.

Ergonomics. The guitar hangs "right" and feels very comfortable and familiar. One of the reasons I never bonded with S guitars in the past is that they just don't "hang" right on me. However, the biggest reasons I never cared for the S style guitars is because of the way the e strings always slide off the edge of the fretboard. That drives me crazy! Paul pulled the string spacing in and this give the string a little extra real estate on the fretboard and this prevents the strings from roll off the board. Not once in 4 hours of playing the Silver Sky did the low e (in particular) slide off the edge of the board.

Finish. Of course the finish is up to PRS standards and there is a slight metallic sheen to the Onyx color that doesn't show up in photos. If the light catches it right, it almost looks deep, deep blue and other times it has a color almost resembling battleship grey. The color has a lot of depth. The scoop in the treble horn has a slightly lighter color sprayed in there. It's a neat feature I guess, but I can't say I really noticed it while I was playing. The back of the guitar was smooth with no rough edges. Neither the open trem cavity, nor the neck plate screws, snagged on my clothing.

Complaints. We all have them, right? Complaint #1 The side dots are kind of hard to see. This is because like a vintage instrument, the side dots are half way into the rosewood and half way into the maple. It makes it a little difficult for my aging eyes to see them. Complaint #2. I wish the back of the tuners had PRS stamped into the housing. It's minor, I know, but I think it would be cool to see.

So that's my honest take on the new Silver Sky. I'm a set-neck, maple and mahogany kind of guy, but when I go to add a three single coil guitar to the line up, it will most certainly be a Silver Sky.

IMG_1253.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg
IMG_1251.jpg

After watching ALL of the videos everywhere I now want one.

I am also now very use to the headstock. It now seems normal and not shocking anymore.

The big question is color. I like them all equally. This is good and bad. Maybe I need to wait for the next gen to find the ONE that speaks to me!

Trem arm. I know this is a minor thing, but I really love the trem arm on the Silver Sky. The "leg" on this arm is slightly longer than a traditional PRS trem arm which allows the arm to sit a little higher off the body than a typical PRS trem arm. This provides extra clearance above the control knobs and switch. A real plus considering the controls don't sit in the body divots you would find on a PRS carved top.

NICE! The arm has always been my one complaint about the PRS trem. I have used a Hipshot arm on my PRS trems for years because it's longer and has a better bend in it.

Hey Shawn, is it me or are the tuner buttons darker on this one??
Is this some sort of prototype before the full release? Headstock serial number starts with 17

Alright, after playing this guitar for 4 hours+ through my rig, here are my thoughts. First, the tone is clear, articulate and chimey. The neck pickup sounds amazing as do the neck/middle settings and the middle/bridge settings. Like vintage single coils, these pickups are not forgiving. If your playing is sloppy, this guitar will let you know. I find the bridge pickup to be particularly exacting. But this simply gives me an incentive to become a better player. The guitar takes gain very well and it offers a full throated growl when call upon, without loosing the articulation of the notes.

The tuners are the bomb. I love how the buttons feel and I love the precision of the gears. This was a big surprise for me because I wasn't expecting to like the tuners all that much. And of course, they hold the guitar in tune extremely well.

The tuning stability on this thing is effing ridiculous! Even with trem use, the guitar did not want to go out of tune. To be honest, I only had to tune the guitar when I was tuning down a half step (or back up). All of m PRS hold tune extremely well, but the Silver Sky beats them all in this department.

The neck. It feels great, as you knew it would. John and Paul aren't going to do anything half assed and the neck reflects their amazing attention to detail. It doesn't feel like a PRS neck carve, but it's comfy nonetheless. The frets and fretboard radius were complete none issues for me. We've all heard the talk about a 7.25 radius or the vintage style frets being a deal breaker for some. If that's you're thinking, but aside your preconceived notions and give the guitar a try. I believe JM said in a video, these really aren't an issue for him and I found the same to be true. This guitar simply plays like an well built instrument. The headstock has a scarf joint unlike an S guitar, which has no headstock angle. Because the other guys don't use a headstock angle, they rely on string trees to pull the strings down from the nut. The Silver Sky has an actual angle to the headstock and we use the scarf joint to achieve that angle. The scarf is smooth and flows seamlessly into the neck. I also believe the scarf joint adds to the tuning stability, because of the grain of the headstock and the grain of the neck work in opposite directions making for a extremely stabile neck.

The nut. The nut is a polished piece of bone which is cut beautifully. This is another reason the guitar stays in tune so well.

Ergonomics. The guitar hangs "right" and feels very comfortable and familiar. One of the reasons I never bonded with S guitars in the past is that they just don't "hang" right on me. However, the biggest reasons I never cared for the S style guitars is because of the way the e strings always slide off the edge of the fretboard. That drives me crazy! Paul pulled the string spacing in and this give the string a little extra real estate on the fretboard and this prevents the strings from roll off the board. Not once in 4 hours of playing the Silver Sky did the low e (in particular) slide off the edge of the board.

Finish. Of course the finish is up to PRS standards and there is a slight metallic sheen to the Onyx color that doesn't show up in photos. If the light catches it right, it almost looks deep, deep blue and other times it has a color almost resembling battleship grey. The color has a lot of depth. The scoop in the treble horn has a slightly lighter color sprayed in there. It's a neat feature I guess, but I can't say I really noticed it while I was playing. The back of the guitar was smooth with no rough edges. Neither the open trem cavity, nor the neck plate screws, snagged on my clothing.

Complaints. We all have them, right? Complaint #1 The side dots are kind of hard to see. This is because like a vintage instrument, the side dots are half way into the rosewood and half way into the maple. It makes it a little difficult for my aging eyes to see them. Complaint #2. I wish the back of the tuners had PRS stamped into the housing. It's minor, I know, but I think it would be cool to see.

So that's my honest take on the new Silver Sky. I'm a set-neck, maple and mahogany kind of guy, but when I go to add a three single coil guitar to the line up, it will most certainly be a Silver Sky.

View attachment 6246 View attachment 6247 View attachment 6248

Last edited:
After watching ALL of the videos everywhere I now want one.

I am also now very use to the headstock. It now seems normal and not shocking anymore.

The big question is color. I like them all equally. This is good and bad. Maybe I need to wait for the next gen to find the ONE that speaks to me!

I went from Tungsten, to Frost (because Tungsten's were out) and back to Tungsten. But I think Onyx and Frost looks great too.

If I had my choice, I'd go for a red one (Horizon), but I had to take what I could get. :)
I am anxiously waiting on my Horizon Silver Sky from Moore Music Guitars @Shawn@PRS. I ordered it the day they were announced. Don’t suppose you might know if it’s on the way yet?

View attachment 6246 View attachment 6247 View attachment 6248
Yeah yeah yeah. That’s all well and good. But why doesn’t the Silver Sky turn into its own hard shell case, or gig bag (based on my preference at any given time), when I tap the tremolo arm 6 times while complaining about its existence? Also, from what I can tell, it won’t search for the best prices on international flights for me. I mean, wtf?
EVERYONE knows that Drs, lawyers (investment bankers, oh my!) expect PRS guitars to be self maintaining personal assistants, in addition to, and above, musical instruments

Back