The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I’m going to switch out the 180pf treble bleed capacitor that I put in for a 1000pf capacitor that I would normally use on a F style guitar. I’ll let you all know if that makes any big difference. In theory, it should retain more highs than the 180pf. Now I have to take those super tight screws out again :D

Yep, the 1000pf, which is what I typically use on *any* single coil guitar, definitely retains more highs as you roll off the volume. Some would probably call it "brittle," but I am a "guitar straight into amp" kind of guy. I don't use a pedalboard. I use the 3 knobs on the guitar to control the tone. The tone knobs are super effective in rolling off the "brittleness," and I'd rather have that ability to roll it off than not be able to get it.

Again, personal preference. YMMV.

I'm loving it more and more as I get comfortable with it.

Long time PRS player, first time posting...I just got a SS...Like a lot of people, I was worried about the small frets and radius, but I got to play one briefly just after they were announced and I was sold. Got to play this one for the past few hours, and I have to say, it all just feels right to me. And the sound is there...good Lord. I like to have a little gain on my amp and to use the guitar volume/tone/selector to get my clean/dirt/solo sounds, and this guitar does that better than every custom shop strat I've owned, and plays better as well. I could go on all day...just wanted to throw my 2¢ in here, in case anyone is on the fence.

DDiKCXw9ptIHXoQ72

WQGg4DH9oBekoWwL2

kVm8RWZNd9fqKF4P2

td7NjVcLviwU9byU2

Last edited:
Yep, the 1000pf, which is what I typically use on *any* single coil guitar, definitely retains more highs as you roll off the volume. Some would probably call it "brittle," but I am a "guitar straight into amp" kind of guy. I don't use a pedalboard. I use the 3 knobs on the guitar to control the tone. The tone knobs are super effective in rolling off the "brittleness," and I'd rather have that ability to roll it off than not be able to get it.

Again, personal preference. YMMV.

I'm loving it more and more as I get comfortable with it.
This is really interesting to me, since I generally detest stepping on stomp boxes and like to use my guitar in a similar way. I've never tried that!

For a while, the story was that there were three songs that Frank said he didn't want anyone to play after he died - Watermelon, Black Napkins, and Zoot Allures (I believe). So to hear Dweezil break it out gave me chills - I didn't think I'd ever hear it live again.

And I get what you're saying about Joe's Garage. Act I is a solid album beginning to end. Acts II & III (released as a double LP) tend to meander a bit. There are some definite high points ("Stick It Out", "Dong Work For Yuda", "Outside Now", "Watermelon..." - at least - for me), but also some points where you think, if this wasn't on here, it really wouldn't make a difference. I had Act I for several years before I ever got II & III, and it grabbed me way harder than those two.

My high school percussion teacher got me into Zappa and Captain Beefheart, and I'm sure I've spent literal years of my life listening to Zappa...I have EVERYTHING, and that Watermelon In Easter Hay playing/tone gets me every time. Amazing .

This is really interesting to me, since I generally detest stepping on stomp boxes and like to use my guitar in a similar way. I've never tried that!
Here’s where I got it from. I use the “simple” method. I also use alligator clips so that it’s non-invasive and ddoesnt require modifying the stock solder in case you want to return it to stock some day.

Here’s where I got it from. I use the “simple” method. I also use alligator clips so that it’s non-invasive and ddoesnt require modifying the stock solder in case you want to return it to stock some day.

I use the values of 150K and .001uf on all my single-coil guitars (or guitars with low-output pickups, like my Grestch with Filtertrons), and it works well across the board.

I even used the same values on my PRS SE (which had DGT pickups in it), and it worked great. Better than PRS' simple cap treble bleed, imo.

Reactions: TCB
I use the values of 150K and .001uf on all my single-coil guitars (or guitars with low-output pickups, like my Grestch with Filtertrons), and it works well across the board.

I even used the same values on my PRS SE (which had DGT pickups in it), and it worked great. Better than PRS' simple cap treble bleed, imo.
Yeah the resistor modifies the quickness with which the treble rolls off, right? I keep it simple. 1000pf on single coils and 180pf on humbucker sand p90s. I realize p90s are single coils, but to me, 1000pf is too harsh for them.

Not sure if this has been brought up and overlooked by me throughout this thread. Question, is the volume knob/pot placement slightly further away from the bridge pickup when compared to the placement on a fender strat? Of course the other knobs/pots would be slightly shifted down/away as well. I have a SS on order and can only compare pix with the guitars I currently have. I'm excited and looking forward to this guitar. I've never really liked how the volume knob/pot is that close to the bridge pickup on a fender strat, but have just adapted to it. Always wanted it moved away just a bit.

Not sure if this has been brought up and overlooked by me throughout this thread. Question, is the volume knob/pot placement slightly further away from the bridge pickup when compared to the placement on a fender strat? Of course the other knobs/pots would be slightly shifted down/away as well. I have a SS on order and can only compare pix with the guitars I currently have. I'm excited and looking forward to this guitar. I've never really liked how the volume knob/pot is that close to the bridge pickup on a fender strat, but have just adapted to it. Always wanted it moved away just a bit.
It is yes, I find it quite nice because it gives you a little more picking space while still being right there within reach. It's really the little things with this guitar.

I'm surprised that I have not come across any videos bringing this up. You are so right, it is all the little things that make this a really special and different instrument.

Just for fun, which color did you opt for if you pre-ordered one (or already have one or might get one later!). I went with Frost but really dig the Tungsten and Horizon, as well. I’m wondering which will be most popular in the long run.

I ordered one in Tungsten. I like all the colors. At first I was going to order one in Horizon, since I really love candy apple red. However I can't tell from the pictures if Horizon is a CAR variation or just a deep red. I've have/had several PRSi over the years(started playing in 1980) and they are all amazing. Frost is a fantastic color!

Back