The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. slang05

slang05 Guest

OK, was able to set it up a bit (been tweaking on it still). A quick thought on it...
    SOUNDS: Sounds amazing. Been comparing the pickups to my 63 John Cruz CS Strat and they are similar. Can't say I like the sound of one better than the other, just a bit different. Sounds like it's a Strat for sure.
    PLAYABILITY: Plays good to great. Very even sounding, chords sound great in any position. Same thing with playing lead. No volume lose between pick up positions. The neck is very comfortable, very strat like but I'm not sure I can get use to the little frets.
    FINISH: It's a PRS dumb a$$! It's perfect!

I think they got it right with this one. If they wanted to make a great sounding strat, then mission accomplished.

#681 slang05, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  2. bigcohoona

bigcohoona big~C

Well, now I've got a new dilemma as I was all set to get an American Professional model!

I'll have to try them both out side by side. Obviously the QC of PRS will be better but the sound of the blended Alnico's is what is attracting me to the Fender Am Pro.

Kudo's to PRS on another great guitar! I've listened to GC's, PRS's, and John Mayer's demo's and they all sounded outstanding, but the tone wasn't exactly what I have in mind... that being said, if I can get the tone I want, I'd much prefer the excellence in a PRS fit, form, and finish... especially at that price point for a PRS. I spent about 6 months before buying my S2 Singlecut, and it is everything I needed without the price tag... and I absolutely love my, now somewhat rare, Vanilla blank! :D. Still looking for a Bigsby model to come about.

Would love to hear any demo's of the Silver Sky against the American Pro models.

3. slang05

slang05 Guest

Honestly, this is more like a Fender Signature model. Closer to an Eric Johnson or maybe one of their American Vintage models. But, it's beyond those to me. The Fender Pro models are cool, but I don't think those will have the sonic character that this guitar has. Just my thought. Tone is in the ear of the beholder!

dogrocketp, VHTStark, g.wizz and 3 others like this.
  4. bigcohoona

bigcohoona big~C

Completely agree... I should have been a little more specific. I have most of the lead tones I'm looking for with the S2 SC... lots of delays and long sustained leads, it's that amazing bell-like, wide open, sound that one or more of the Fender 5-way gives... I don't even know which position, I just know when I hear it! Of course I love that Pink Floyd lead sound as well, but it's mostly for hard strumming that I'm looking to utilize it for, I'm primarily an acoustic player... and even more a keys guy, lol!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gvhbngh likes this.
  5. rmg471

rmg471 New Member

So one of us got their’s and it wasn’t even a preorder?! Oh the agony!

bodia and Gvhbngh like this.
  6. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

It’s hard for me to understand that kind of mechanism. Here’s my take.

I think people simply get the best they can afford. So if you’re affluent, the best would tend to be the Ferrari, that opulent mansion, that 59 Les Paul.

When you drive your Ferrari out on the streets and it receives the envious gawks and awes, sure it does remind you subconsciously that ‘you’ve made it’, but that’s just an incidental by-product and hardly the reason you bought the car.

The more likely reason is because it’s beautiful, it’s a performance marvel, and it’s the best you could afford. It’s a treasure, basically.

You hardly need any more reason to know ‘you’ve arrived’ than knowing your bank account balance.

It’s the same with guitars, only it’s even less likely guitars are a status symbol, because besides the ultra small PRS fanclub community, hardly anyone out there even knows what a private stock guitar costs. Non-guitarists would look at Bernie Marsden’s 59 Les Paul aka ‘The Beast’ and go ‘meh’. How could you glean emotional status affirmation from others when casual observers don’t even know what the item is worth? The worth is really only known to you.

I think people collect guitars because they see them as treasure. Because of some intrinsic value apparent to them. Because monster tone, unobtanium wood, beauty, rarity etc. The guitars don’t make them feel rich or ‘I’ve arrived’. It makes them feel blissful to be around such treasure, to be able to open up that case and feel the awe.

The elegant way to put it - because of passion.

The not so elegant way - greed. Greed for the best treasure they can afford.

I’m greedy. Very. Guilty as charged. I just wish I was affluent!!

#686 Tonart, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. aufgangs

aufgangs Gooz

Great words!

LSchefman and Tonart like this.
  8. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Aww thanks!!

dogrocketp and LSchefman like this.
  9. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Does I hasta call you Johnson?

DreamTheaterRules, bodia and g.wizz like this.
  10. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

:D:D:D

11. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Anyone heard Phil McKnight playing the Rosewood necked F! Imagine an SS with a Rosewood neck, yum!

#691 Alnus Rubra, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    autotunz and aufgangs like this.
  12. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Could not have put it better myself.

Kevin

dogrocketp, Tonart and bodia like this.
  13. BALIstic

BALIstic New Member

kes7u likes this.
  14. slang05

slang05 Guest

Ok, I took mine back to the store. I could not get use to the small frets. Just a preference thing. Wonderful guitar though!

15. Ruxster

Ruxster New Member

Whats the size compared to a typical American Standard Strat?

16. evanjlim

evanjlim New Member

17. evanjlim

evanjlim New Member

18. Drew

Drew New Member

The American Pro strats are 6105 wire now. I believe it was posted that this wire is similar to a 6230 wire, which is pretty tiny in comparison. That was my only gripe about the guitar. Its the one thing that ruins the MM Luke series as well. Vintage height wire on that too. I've argued on the MM forums that artists personal guitars should be whatever the artist wants, obviously, but mass produced versions should have fret wire that is more universally accepted.

ruger9 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. slang05

slang05 Guest

Pretty close. Maybe a bit larger but extremely comfortable

20. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Yep. Most of the wealthy 'LOOKING' people I know are in debt like crazy. So thankful I found Dave Ramsey many years back. (no affiliation!!!)

Kevin

Tonart, rmg471 and markd21 like this.