The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Can't wait! Wondering if mine's one of the ones with a hard case. Doesn't really matter to me, honestly kind of prefer gig bags.

Back to the Thomann video, I liked the rich lower mids of the Silver Sky, and the very articulate highs that still sounded round, not too spiky.

The SS and Fender definitely had a more vintage vibe; between the two, the SS sounded (to me) more like the guitar you find after a long holy grail 60s Strat search, but the Fender sounded very nice in a different way.

The Suhr definitely was more what I call “LA Modern”; Suhr’s amps sound that way to me as well. Picking between them might be kind of a John Mayer style vs Pete Thorn style thing.

Damn nice guitars!

I don’t get the hate. Different instruments suit different players...differently. They might even suit different songs more for a given player. F’rinstance, the SS really was most awesome on that little “Sultans of Swing” snippet.

People need to get over themselves. :)

First of all, what a great comparison video! Thomann is to be congratulated for that format: shut up and play! ;)

Plus, I have a special place in my heart for Thomann, my only Private Stock came (across the pond) from them. (McCarty 594 based)

This is all subjective, but I'd be happy with either the Fender or PRS models, I guess the Suhr is "too modern" for my tastes. (Although a fabulous guitar in it's own right.) I think that means the objective of a "slightly modern" version of a vintage Strat-type guitar was achieved! It's clear he prefers the "feel" of the PRS, and I'm not surprised by that. Congrats on the attention to detail PRS!

Last edited:
I started imagining a PS version of this guitar. Then I thought, with the exception of inlays and decor, what would I actually want to change? If what I liked was the exact way the thing sounds in the videos, the smart thing would be to have one exactly like the stock model in the videos.

Change anything like wood species, or even pick guard material, it’s going to sound a little different!

So my take-away is that this guitar really needs to be the stock model for most authentic sound, unless decor is really one’s thing. For a lunatic like me, that’s kind of a relief.

I suppose I should add, “if I decided to buy one,” which might happen, despite my aversion to Strats.

Gig bag vs. case
- For me, all of my guitars have a case. When I had an SE EG and sold it I kept the gig bag. I find even the SE gig bag to be great and my go to when ever I go anywhere with a gtr.
This includes gigs or jams at friends houses. One of my gtrs is a wood library that was pricey and I have NO problem with the bag.
Cases are so heavy and I also like the backpack feature so I can carry other gear and save trips.

I started imagining a PS version of this guitar. Then I thought, with the exception of inlays and decor, what would I actually want to change? If what I liked was the exact way the thing sounds in the videos, the smart thing would be to have one exactly like the stock model in the videos.

Change anything like wood species, or even pick guard material, it’s going to sound a little different!

So my take-away is that this guitar really needs to be the stock model for most authentic sound, unless decor is really one’s thing. For a lunatic like me, that’s kind of a relief.

I suppose I should add, “if I decided to buy one,” which might happen, despite my aversion to Strats.

TOO FUNNY. I was considering this as well, this morning. I came to the same conclusion. The BIGGEST thing I could come back with is a color change. Not digging the choices. For Strats I am all about Lake Placid Blue or Ocean Turquoise with rosewood. THAT is not worth a PS cost increase, lol....

I may bite the bullet and buy it. The demo videos are killing me (in a good way) - I must stop watching. I even commented to the wife yesterday (after watching the Mayer Instagram video) that despite the fact that I have always considered JM a colossal DB, his attitude and explanation of the guitar actually ALMOST turned me into a fan. ACKKK - I must pull away from the online world ASAP!!!!

First of all, what a great comparison video! Thomann is to be congratulated for that format: shut up and play! ;)

Plus, I have a special place in my heart for Thomann, my only Private Stock came (across the pond) from them. (McCarty 594 based)

This is all subjective, but I'd be happy with either the Fender or PRS models, I guess the Suhr is "too modern" for my tastes. (Although a fabulous guitar in it's own right.) I think that means the objective of a "slightly modern" version of a vintage Strat-type guitar was achieved! It's clear he prefers the "feel" of the PRS, and I'm not surprised by that. Congrats on the attention to detail PRS!

I loved the tone of all three.

I wonder how much of the difference in the Suhr tone is due to the pickups. The Classic Pro comes with V70 pickups, which are their cleanest sounding single coils. Their V60 set would make for a more direct comparison. They would have oomph on par with the 635 set. A Classic Antique with the ML pickups would also make for a great comparison.

When I started collecting guitars, I wanted all of them to have a case. After 3 I sold all of them and now it's all gig bags, can't stand hard cases anymore, just found them to be unpractical. They're still beautiful tho :)

Sorry, sorry.

IMG_4625.jpg
Thanks for making it a picture that one could do some serious zooming on! NICE!

Was really interested in this until I saw the price, and unless you were one of the first 500 it comes in a gig bag? 2200$ guitar in a gig bag? That’s a joke.

A joke to whom? The other "non-fancy" painted guitars (NF3, DC3, etc.) were all more than $2200 with a case. And that was 5 years ago. So calling it a joke is...
trolling.

Back