The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Would you PLEASE get that case out of the way, so I can see the stuff on the wall? :D HOLY CRAP!
Sorry, sorry.

IMG_4625.jpg

I believe this is correct Brian. Only the first 500 have a badge, the hard case available for seperate purchase will not have the badge.

I see, ok thanks for clearing that yup. So my Frost is going to come in a hardcase with the badge. Not like it's going to make much of a big deal etc. but at least now I know what to expect. Because I was considering getting a Tungsten one if there was no diff btwn the first 500 and subsequent ones.

It’s collectible if the collector wants it to be.

A very true statement. One that emphasizes the emotional construct of collecting.

But the underlying emotion is different for different people, and that colors the things they collect and why.

Some people collect as a status thing - “I have it and you don’t.” (Insert spoken or unspoken denigration of listener here.)

Some collect with a monetary view - “In 20 years, it’ll put the kids through college.” (Insert bank balance here.)

Those seem to be the main two reasons, though there are too many others to list. (Insert favorite color here.)

People obviously collect for more than one reason, but there is usually a main, overriding reason that can be recognized upon honest reflection.

I’m a completion kind of collector, fueled by a bit of OCD (which comes in very handy in my vocation). I see and understand the rarity and financial motivations, but they pale for me when I think about the notion of something missing. Just look at the ‘location’ under my avatar. It’s been there since I joined the Forum. Here’s your other clue: I bought one each of the reclaimed wood guitars. Investment? That wasn’t my motivation.

That makes the case with the badge more attractive to me since I see it as being part of the set that is the model. It also means that I’ll be watching for a case someone is willing to part with. But it’s not so attractive that I’ll pay a crazy price for one.

A friend once said something that stuck with me, “I don’t want it more than money.”

Last edited:
I see, ok thanks for clearing that yup. So my Frost is going to come in a hardcase with the badge. Not like it's going to make much of a big deal etc. but at least now I know what to expect. Because I was considering getting a Tungsten one if there was no diff btwn the first 500 and subsequent ones.
I'm a bit confused. Are you really going for a guitar color that is less desirable to you so that you can have a badge on the case?

Kevin

A very true statement. One that emphasizes the emotional construct of collecting.

But the underlying emotion is different for different people, and that colors the things they collect and why.

Some people collect as a status thing - “I have it and you don’t.” (Insert spoken or unspoken denigration of listener here.)

Some collect with a monetary view - “In 20 years, it’ll put the kids through college.” (Insert bank balance here.)

Those seem to be the main two reasons, though there are too many others to list. (Insert favorite color here.)

I think we can add a 3rd "Main Reason". That being collecting as a measure of self worth. A measuring stick for what you have done in life. People are insecure and have fragile egos by nature. There is no better reassurance mechanism than surrounding ones self with material possessions. That includes cars, guitars, and your house. Look at how many people have way more home than they need. Maybe some want to have the better one than their friends and that is a whole other psychological discussion. But, do you feel better about yourself if you are walking around in your mcmansion or a small shack? Same thing with guitars. I personally don't have 30 expensive guitars and that is by choice. I just don't like things taking up space in my house. But, it must feel darn good to walk into a dedicated room with all of those hanging on the wall. Kinda like... "yeah, I've made it in life" type of feeling. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a bit confused. Are you really going for a guitar color that is less desirable to you so that you can have a badge on the case?

Kevin

You are quite right. The intent was to get the Tungsten in the Hardcase with badge, ie. the first 500. The reason would be whatever Rugerpc mentioned here: I just feel that it's a "collectible" to me, if I have it in the Tungsten and that it's the first 500 with the Badged hard case.
My dealer had some of each colour for the hardcase (500) batch. I didn't make it in time for tungsten, so my options were either:
a) hardcase with badge (500) in the remaining 3 finishes
or
b) place an order for tungsten that wont be in the 500 batch, ie. comes with gigbag.

I ended up weighing the fact that having the hardcase with badge was more "valuable" to me, hence I went for a Frost one instead of ordering a tungsten that would come with a gigbag.

People obviously collect for more than one reason, but there is usually a main, overriding reason that can be recognized upon honest reflection.

I’m a completion kind of collector, fueled by a bit of OCD (which comes in very handy in my vocation). I see and understand the rarity and financial motivations, but they pale for me when I think about the notion of something missing. Just look at the ‘location’ under my avatar. It’s been there since I joined the Forum. Here’s your other clue: I bought one each of the reclaimed wood guitars. Investment? That wasn’t my motivation.

That makes the case with the badge more attractive to me since I see it as being part of the set that is the model. It also means that I’ll be watching for a case someone is willing to part with. But it’s not so attractive that I’ll pay a crazy price for one.

A friend once said something that stuck with me, “I don’t want it more than money.”

Last edited:
Can't wait to see all your NGD's. I'm in Asia and will only get mine in JULY, yessir, July.. Even though mine will come in the hardcase.
US, Eur/UK gets them first. Be sure to post loadsa reviews!

@evanjlim How you’ll get the case if you’ll get it in July? The store keep it for you?

I think we can add a 3rd "Main Reason". That being collecting as a measure of self worth. A measuring stick for what you have done in life. People are insecure and have fragile egos by nature. There is no better reassurance mechanism than surrounding ones self with material possessions. That includes cars, guitars, and your house. Look at how many people have way more home than they need. Maybe some want to have the better one than their friends and that is a whole other psychological discussion. But, do you feel better about yourself if you are walking around in your mcmansion or a small shack? Same thing with guitars. I personally don't have 30 expensive guitars and that is by choice. I just don't like things taking up space in my house. But, it must feel darn good to walk into a dedicated room with all of those hanging on the wall. Kinda like... "yeah, I've made it in life" type of feeling. Just my 2 cents.

Not really that different from the first reason I listed. I think this just the backside of the same coin. Very few people gauge their self-worth entirely internally. There an enlightened few, but outside validation is part of the equation for the vast majority.

Back