The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

For others who have them, I read some literature that says the trem is flush with the body, are yours set up that way?

Mine is not. It's resting against the body, but the screws / knife edge are set up so that it could float a bit (which I do not want).

I'm wondering if PRS changed their default setups, possibly due to people wanting floating options being easier than having to adjust all the screws and add shims to the neck.

This guitar is amazing, no way I'm sending this one back. Has anyone else here changed the trem setup on one of these? Anything to look out for on the SS in particular? I've done adjustments on these 6-screw PRS (or at least a Mann Made one that's in my kit guitar), so I know the normal caveats there.
Ok, to answer my own question, they have a tech note on this!

too-lazy; won't click: mine is the current factory setup.

Still interested in if it was always like this. Would love to hear from others with OG SS if the front end of the trem is off the body by almost half a mm.

Some techs recommend loosening the middle four higher than the two outside screws so the heads of the middle four don't interfere with it returning to tune. That's for the six screw vintage style vibrato.

It's far easier to float the trem on a SE Silver Sky.

But here's the official PRS method of floating the trem on a USA Silver Sky:

Thanks for finding that! It looks like they don't really understand what the word "flush" means, as it's always been angled, LOL.

Thinking about ii, it needs to be like this to avoid colliding with the top of the guitar for the full range of forward tip.

hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a PRS Silver Sky Arctic Frost from 2018 used. The bridge and string saddles are unfortunately already a bit tarnished. But all other metal parts are in very good condition. In my country the price would be 800€ under new price.
The Silver Sky comes from an estate, I got a picture of the frets and wonder: Do they look like this normally? I have already read that it has flat frets, but in the picture they look almost played down. For comparison I have a PRS CE22 from 2006 that has been played regularly. While there are slight signs of wear, they are still rounder than this Silver Sky.

And another question: Do you have information about new SS SE colours? I just want a white or black guitar, so it all comes down to the core model.
If forgot to attach a picture of the frets: Silver Sky Fret Wear

The SE models are beautiful but I am more interested in the Core Model :)
From the picture you posted, the flatness appears uniform across the width of the fret indicating it was not caused by excessive playing. The latter would cause valleys under the most used strings at a given fret. As someone else said, it looks like the frets were leveleld and not crowned. If they are level, crowning could still be done.

Silver Sky sound amazing and I enjoy how every string can be individually heard because the pickups have wonderful clarity. Each position on the 5-way blade switch sounds unique and emphasizes certain strings over the others. I notice it when playing repeated passages in all 5 positions. I find that my Paul’s Guitar also has the same clarity of strings and switch positions. My Custom 24 and McCarty 594 don’t exhibit the same performance, yet still sound fantastic. All of these guitars mentioned are the core versions, and only the SS has TCI pickups.

From the picture you posted, the flatness appears uniform across the width of the fret indicating it was not caused by excessive playing. The latter would cause valleys under the most used strings at a given fret. As someone else said, it looks like the frets were leveleld and not crowned. If they are level, crowning could still be done.

Silver Sky sound amazing and I enjoy how every string can be individually heard because the pickups have wonderful clarity. Each position on the 5-way blade switch sounds unique and emphasizes certain strings over the others. I notice it when playing repeated passages in all 5 positions. I find that my Paul’s Guitar also has the same clarity of strings and switch positions. My Custom 24 and McCarty 594 don’t exhibit the same performance, yet still sound fantastic. All of these guitars mentioned are the core versions, and only the SS has TCI pickups.
That someone was me and what you said is what I think too.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2021 Silver Sky Tungsten Maple for a good price. I just wanted to know if it needs special treatment, especially regarding a stand.

I purchased a 2021 Silver Sky Tungsten Maple for a good price. I just wanted to know if it needs special treatment, especially regarding a stand.
It has a Nitro finish, so that means you want to avoid leather straps, and stands with regular foam rubber cushions. To be safest, look for ones that say they're "safe for Nitro". Alternatively, you could cover the cushions with cloth so they don't directly touch the finish. For straps, I've actually found you can use anything - BUT, don't keep the strap attached when you're not playing. It's the long term contact that allows the chemical reactions that mess up the finish. And if you use cleaners/polishes, definitely make sure they're labelled safe for Nitro.
Congrats on the guitar, I'm sure you'll love it!

Leather straps are fine with Nitro , I've used Eric Ball leather ended straps for decades ( and leave them on the guitars hanging on the wall
I've seen Vinyl / plastic and foam burn Nitro

Leather straps are fine with Nitro , I've used Eric Ball leather ended straps for decades ( and leave them on the guitars hanging on the wall
I've seen Vinyl / plastic and foam burn Nitro
IIRC, the problem depends on what chemicals were used in tanning the leather. So while some straps certainly may be fine, I'd say better safe than sorry - but to each their own

I use straps made from Bison skin and made by Lakota Leathers up on the Pine Ridge Reservation by native craftspeople.

And I've used leather straps from other companies most of my playing carreer.

Never had a problem with leather ruining a nitro finish on any guitar (Gibson, Fender, PRS, Hamer, etc.) I've owned.

Hi all, newbie here and this is my first ever post on the PRS forum. I’m familiar with JM but I didn’t choose the SS because of him at all. I ordered a SS because of all the years of playing guitar, and strats always being my favorite, PRS guitars have been the only guitars I have ever bought that didn’t have some quirky little something that irked me about them and didn’t need anything changed about them whatsoever. 10 years ago I bought a PRS swamp ash special because it was the closest model to a strat at the time. I always said if PRS ever produced an actual strat that I would get one because the quality control and build quality of a PRS is as good as you can get. I am looking forward to getting it next week and can’t wait!

Hi all, newbie here and this is my first ever post on the PRS forum. I’m familiar with JM but I didn’t choose the SS because of him at all. I ordered a SS because of all the years of playing guitar, and strats always being my favorite, PRS guitars have been the only guitars I have ever bought that didn’t have some quirky little something that irked me about them and didn’t need anything changed about them whatsoever. 10 years ago I bought a PRS swamp ash special because it was the closest model to a strat at the time. I always said if PRS ever produced an actual strat that I would get one because the quality control and build quality of a PRS is as good as you can get. I am looking forward to getting it next week and can’t wait!
Welcome paddy50!
Great story and thanks for starting out with an avatar.;):)
When you get a chance, definitely post up some pics of your SS after it arrives.

Getting something new or used? You'll like it either way if you're a Strat lover.

I'm not into John Mayer either, although I like what he does when I accidentally hear something by him.

More into Jeff Beck, Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler...the usual suspects.

But especially Jeff Beck.

I got a new one. I know there’s a lot of guitars on the used market right now. I should have probably got a used one but since these cost so dang much I wanted one that hasn’t been messed with by anyone but me. I got the moc sand because I love the feel of satin finish on a guitar. My favorite strat had a satin finish but someone stole it last year.

Welcome paddy50!
Great story and thanks for starting out with an avatar.;):)
When you get a chance, definitely post up some pics of your SS after it arrives.
Thanks for that reply Louguitar! I’ll definitely post some pictures when I get it. I have a SoundCloud account too that I need to start using. I’ll post some sounds there.

I got my new Silver Sky yesterday evening and played it until bedtime. My fingers are kind of sore! I really REALLY like this guitar and will post some pictures later today. Oh, I only slept about 5 1/2 hours because I woke up thinking about that Silver Sky and couldn't go back to sleep. I'm having coffee now and it's about 6:40 AM. I live in a tiny house and everyone is asleep so I have to wait patiently for others to wake up before I can play it again.

prs-silver-sky-scaled.jpg

Something showed up from Righteous Guitars by UPS!!!

Back