The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Can we stop the love-fest and get back to hating this guitar please? Thank you

Hey Shawn!
Do you know if the first 500 will come with anything that indicates that it's amongst the first 500, and that it came with a case?

I'm asking because...I got a Frost with hardcase, and I'm thinking of getting a tungsten with gigbag, and swapping them. Ha!

DDYFCkk.jpg

I was at my dealer's last night (that's a story for another thread), and I was chatting to him about the Silver Sky. Sound like they've got 5 or 6 coming in. I told him I'm very interested in trying one out - it doesn't really fit my usual style all that well (the S-type, that is), but never say never. Above all, I just want to try one to see what they're like. Ironically enough, yesterday was Fender day at this dealer, and I overheard the Fender rep talking to someone about a Strat, and he said something like, "...and one of the nice things is this has a flatter radius, not like the vintage ones which were 7.5 or so, kind of harder to play."

My dealer did laugh at me when I said, "Never say never". He's seen me buy stuff I said I had no interest in.

I was at my dealer's last night (that's a story for another thread), and I was chatting to him about the Silver Sky. Sound like they've got 5 or 6 coming in. I told him I'm very interested in trying one out - it doesn't really fit my usual style all that well (the S-type, that is), but never say never. Above all, I just want to try one to see what they're like. Ironically enough, yesterday was Fender day at this dealer, and I overheard the Fender rep talking to someone about a Strat, and he said something like, "...and one of the nice things is this has a flatter radius, not like the vintage ones which were 7.5 or so, kind of harder to play."

My dealer did laugh at me when I said, "Never say never". He's seen me buy stuff I said I had no interest in.

You're gonna like it;)

Looking forward to the NGD!

The video comparing the 3 guitars was as I expected - all were REALLY close and it would be hard to do a blind taste test. Playability is a key for me and I am sure PRS will beat F there. S is also good in this category but of the 3 that was my least fav as far as tone.

Sure:

-Let's face it, this is just a stupid $xxxx S-type knock off;
-It's got a stupid radius that you can't bend on, I mean, at all. You can try but you'll instantly self-combust;
-The frets are a stupid size and they're not made out of titanium;
-They only come in 4 colours, and they're all stupid;
-They only come with a case if you get one of the first 500, and after that is a stupid gig bag;
-People are stupid and will buy anything with JM's name on it;
-The headstock is just a reverse PRS one, which is just the same as a stupid pointy guitar;
-The finish isn't made from stupid unicorn tears;
-It hasn't got fretlights, how stupid is that?
-Silver Sky? Stupid.
-What does 635 even mean? PRS are so confusing with their stupid 3 numbers. It used to mean "no. of pickups/pickup combinations" then it was "a metric conversion of the non-whole imperial component of the scale length" and now it's, well, I must be too stupid to work it out;
-The VIBRATO is flush with the stupid body, and there's way too much spring tension;
-They coloured in the stupid cutout on the lower horn, what's with that?
-They didn't put a backplate on it, stupid cheapskates;
-They built it to stupid John Mayer's specifications and NOT MINE. Now I won't buy one. I might pretend I might though, just so I can keep talking smack about a guitar I won't ever touch because of all of the above.

Sure:

-It's got a stupid radius that you can't bend on, I mean, at all. You can try but you'll instantly self-combust;
-They only come with a case if you get one of the first 500, and after that is a stupid gig bag;
-The headstock is just a reverse PRS one, which is just the same as a stupid pointy guitar;
-Silver Sky? Stupid.
-What does 635 even mean? PRS are so confusing with their stupid 3 numbers. It used to mean "no. of pickups/pickup combinations" then it was "a metric conversion of the non-whole imperial component of the scale length" and now it's, well, I must be too stupid to work it out;
-The VIBRATO is flush with the stupid body, and there's way too much spring tension;
-They built it to stupid John Mayer's specifications and NOT MINE. Now I won't buy one. I might pretend I might though, just so I can keep talking smack about a guitar I won't ever touch because of all of the above.

-You forgot no maple fretboard option!!
-JM's name is on the BACK...how am I supposed to show off that I bought a JM guitar with his name on the BACK!!
-635 => 6 + 3 + 5 = 14; 1 + 4 = 5. Stay with me here...
-$2300=> 2 +3 + 0 + 0 = 5. It's super mojo man!!
-it doesn't make me sound any more like JM than I did before
-should have done a JM portrait inlay on the headstock, ala the Ace Frehley sig Gibson. C'mon...for $2300 for a S-copy?? Put some effort into it!

Sure:

-Silver Sky? Stupid.

THAT"S what I'm talking about! Here are some additional details to complain about.
-While the finish isn't made from unicorn tears, it is buffed using a unicorn mane. So there is that.
-The first prototype we sent John was the Tungsten color. He fell in love with it and named the guitar "Silver Sky". The name stuck.
-635 in this case refers to the year of inspiration, 1963 and 1/2. (no lie)
-You can set up the guitar to have a floating trem if that is what you want. Although the neck would need to be shimmed to achieve the proper neck angle for a floating trem. (Who'da thunk there was so much math involved with building a stupid guitar?)
-John wanted the lower horn to be accentuated with a complimentary color. (Has it been mentioned this is a JM signature model?)
-Back plate (please see "signature model" comment above)

Back to the Thomann video, I liked the rich lower mids of the Silver Sky, and the very articulate highs that still sounded round, not too spiky.

The SS and Fender definitely had a more vintage vibe; between the two, the SS sounded (to me) more like the guitar you find after a long holy grail 60s Strat search, but the Fender sounded very nice in a different way.

The Suhr definitely was more what I call “LA Modern”; Suhr’s amps sound that way to me as well. Picking between them might be kind of a John Mayer style vs Pete Thorn style thing.

Damn nice guitars!

I don’t get the hate. Different instruments suit different players...differently. They might even suit different songs more for a given player. F’rinstance, the SS really was most awesome on that little “Sultans of Swing” snippet.

People need to get over themselves. :)

Last edited:
THAT"S what I'm talking about! Here are some additional details to complain about.
-While the finish isn't made from unicorn tears, it is buffed using a unicorn mane. So there is that.

Really lame. All the good companies are using unicorn tails for buffing.

-The first prototype we sent John was the Tungsten color. He fell in love with it and named the guitar "Silver Sky". The name stuck.

-John wanted the lower horn to be accentuated with a complimentary color. (Has it been mentioned this is a JM signature model?)

-Back plate (please see "signature model" comment above)

Too much catering to John Mayer's whims on this. Just because his name is on it doesn't mean he should have any say. Plus, I prefer a satin, non-sticky name.

-635 in this case refers to the year of inspiration, 1963 and 1/2. (no lie)

Huh - I thought it was the cost of a better S-copy from a good company.

-You can set up the guitar to have a floating trem if that is what you want. Although the neck would need to be shimmed to achieve the proper neck angle for a floating trem. (Who'da thunk there was so much math involved with building a stupid guitar?)

No, no, no - I don't want ANY shimmy in my necks. I want them to be solid!

You used to have some credence! I believed you lived/loved the brand!!

“Disappointed” doesn’t even begin to cover it.

Now I know how you work! You got that “15 year employee” guitar and you showed your true colours.

A signature model, single-coil, double-cutaway, that most of your customers having been hoping for, for years!

You come on here and act like this?!

Explain yourself?!

:D;):D

Back