The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I'm just going to leave this here...

6e274441abc30115132a1cb831bcfbf5.jpg
Cool! The Eddie Van Mayer version. I think it looks awesome.

Hi guys! Was wondering what would happen from a tonal perspective by removing the resistor in the volume pot, has anyone tried it? Is clear its purpose but why using a 300k pot + a resistor to lower it down instead of a 250k pot from the start?. I know, is a signature model but from a technical perspective was curious on that application.

Hi guys! Was wondering what would happen from a tonal perspective by removing the resistor in the volume pot, has anyone tried it? Is clear its purpose but why using a 300k pot + a resistor to lower it down instead of a 250k pot from the start?. I know, is a signature model but from a technical perspective was curious on that application.

TBH, my electronics knowledge isn't up to snuff. There are more technically-oriented folks on this forum who can tell you. IIRC, Strat-style guitars are typically wired with a 500K resistor to tame the treble of single-coils. A humbucker guitar is usually wired with a 250K resistor. I'm not sure the pot's resistance enters into the equation, but you may have a valid point. It may be that the resistor is what determines the tone spectrum of the instrument, be it single-coil, or humbucker-equipped. I humbly defer to more knowledgeable folks...

Can tell you that if you put a 250K resistor on a single-coil, it'd be unbalanced, heavy on treble, super-bright and ice-picky, no doubt.

My white silver sky (5 months old) changes color where I rest my arm. Cant seem to get it off, is this permanent ? I try to wipe it off as much as i can, no idea how this happened so fast.

Any product i could use? For now i just tried water.

Virtuoso unfortunately did not get it off. Removed microscratches though that I had easily, great product! I will live with it. Does this happen also with guitars with a poly finish? Definitely came from sweat where I rest my forearm.

Virtuoso unfortunately did not get it off. Removed microscratches though that I had easily, great product! I will live with it. Does this happen also with guitars with a poly finish? Definitely came from sweat where I rest my forearm.
That looks like your guitar's finish is definitely absorbing your skin oils etc. Nitro is certainly going to be more prone to this than poly-based finishes, unfortunately - nitro never officially fully seals or sets, from what I gather. With most colors you might not notice this (hey JM, that's why tobacco burst is so nice looking, hint hint), but white will be quite obvious.

My Silver Sky is somewhat of a frustrating guitar, in a humorous way. My main Strat inspiration is David Gilmour - my whole reason for sticking with guitar as a teenager and college kid with short stubby fingers is that I can play his stuff, when I was so frustrated with being unable to mimic the then-popular shredders of the 80s.

So when I pick up my SS, I intend to go play some Gilmour-inspired stuff, get all Floydian-spacy, or maybe even jam along to some actual Floyd/Gilmour CDs, re-learning the solos, etc.

Instead, while tuning and warming up, fiddling with what pedal effects I want to mess with, I find some new-to-me riff or chord progression, and end up writing new material that is often nowhere near that Floyd sound (well, except the inherent influences buried deep in my technique).

So I'm not complaining, per se...

:cool:

(i.e., it's a great guitar, and like often happens, very inspiring in its versatility...)

That looks like your guitar's finish is definitely absorbing your skin oils etc. Nitro is certainly going to be more prone to this than poly-based finishes, unfortunately - nitro never officially fully seals or sets, from what I gather. With most colors you might not notice this (hey JM, that's why tobacco burst is so nice looking, hint hint), but white will be quite obvious.
Thanks, this is definitely my last white guitar. I wish they would release the black color again!

Question for you who own more than one Silver Sky - are you noticing enough variation between individual instruments that makes owning more than one Silver Sky a thing?

I have like ten strats from various boutique owners and Fender and they're all different from each other, but I am finding slowly the Silver Sky becoming my main guitar (I have a 2019 with rosewood board in Mesa Gold), and am wondering if it's worth it to pick up another SS because of the variation?

I just operate with this vibe that PRS stuff is so engineered that the differences between individual instruments are pretty minimal - which is my experience with other PRS models, but wondering if the strat origins of the Silver Sky embue some sort of funky individuality into the instruments?

Question for you who own more than one Silver Sky - are you noticing enough variation between individual instruments that makes owning more than one Silver Sky a thing?

I have like ten strats from various boutique owners and Fender and they're all different from each other, but I am finding slowly the Silver Sky becoming my main guitar (I have a 2019 with rosewood board in Mesa Gold), and am wondering if it's worth it to pick up another SS because of the variation?

I just operate with this vibe that PRS stuff is so engineered that the differences between individual instruments are pretty minimal - which is my experience with other PRS models, but wondering if the strat origins of the Silver Sky embue some sort of funky individuality into the instruments?
I have had 10 different ones through some crazy trading and selling and aside from individual weight of the instruments, they are the most consistent guitars I’ve ever played.

The caveat being that the maple board necks have slightly more shoulder so if you want variation, I would do one maple and one rosewood. Otherwise it comes down to weight or color.

The pre-2020 SS had a poly coat and from what I hear, slightly hotter pickups.

I have had 10 different ones through some crazy trading and selling and aside from individual weight of the instruments, they are the most consistent guitars I’ve ever played.

The caveat being that the maple board necks have slightly more shoulder so if you want variation, I would do one maple and one rosewood. Otherwise it comes down to weight or color.

The pre-2020 SS had a poly coat and from what I hear, slightly hotter pickups.
Any tonal/playing differences with the maple board vs rosewood in your experience in particular with the SS, other than the usual maple/rosewood differences?

Any tonal/playing differences with the maple board vs rosewood in your experience in particular with the SS, other than the usual maple/rosewood differences?
The maple has a saying finish on the back so it did feel “smoother/faster”, but the rosewood was by no means sticky feeling.

Tonally I would say they are very similar. I did play all of them through the same rig and they ALL were extremely consistent from one to the next. On another level.

Yes I have an 18 and a 19 and they are different enough that I can't pick a favorite.
Silver Skys by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

I can’t lie: the SE version is a steal. The satin neck with roseboard frets hit the spot perfectly. Took what I love about the core necks and combined them!!!

The only change I did was to upgrade to locking tuners. But that was convenience and not because of a faulty tuner. Even the single coil tones sound good. Sub $1k fenders either sound ice pickish or have horrendous frets. The action is a tinge higher than I prefer but I have come to find this is very common in guitars with a radius under 9.5”. Any lower and I get buzzing in the upper frets.

I bought my used. The person flushed the bridge in the front. This destroyed the resonance. I only realized it was not proper when I read a review that mentioned the bridge was angled. I backed off the screws and voila. I also returned the pickups to proper height and it sounds great to me!

I can’t lie: the SE version is a steal. The satin neck with roseboard frets hit the spot perfectly. Took what I love about the core necks and combined them!!!

The only change I did was to upgrade to locking tuners. But that was convenience and not because of a faulty tuner. Even the single coil tones sound good. Sub $1k fenders either sound ice pickish or have horrendous frets. The action is a tinge higher than I prefer but I have come to find this is very common in guitars with a radius under 9.5”. Any lower and I get buzzing in the upper frets.

I bought my used. The person flushed the bridge in the front. This destroyed the resonance. I only realized it was not proper when I read a review that mentioned the bridge was angled. I backed off the screws and voila. I also returned the pickups to proper height and it sounds great to me!
I agree. I got a moon white that is my number 1. If someone told me I’d be happily playing an SE (nothing against them) more than a core I wouldn’t have believed it. The neck is amazing. Pickups are amazing.

Hey, doods!
Please pardon me for this elementary question - but first I will preface:

Just received a brand new SS Maple / Midnight Rose.

This thing feels fantastic. I'm coming from a 60's style Les Paul - and the weight difference is so comfortable.

I have a wimpy question. wImpy for a couple of reasons, actually.

#1 - I want to change the strings to 08's (I been using 08's on my LP and I have become used to them)

#2 - I'm afraid to change the strings right away because I need this guitar for a show this weekend...I'm nervous that changing to a lower gauge will mean I have to adjust the neck (which I SUCK at doing) and I don't want to bring it to a "guy" for adjustment, etc.

I suppose my question for y'all is: do you suppose a lower gauge string will require neck adjustment, etc?

Thanks so much

-Scott

Back