The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Also great choice! Congrats
Thanks!
What part of 2020? My red has a body that says 2019 but the neck says 2020. Hang tag said finished January 2020. When I wrote to PRS asking the specs they said they couldn’t tell for sure when I gave modcat and serial number. She said it most likely had a nitro finish. I was not aware the red came nitro. I thought they were retired prior to nitro transition
That's a good point and I haven't yet taken the neck off or looked under the pick guard. This is definitely something I'll check out before the GC return period expires just to make sure there's no unexpected modifications from the previous owner, and when I do that I'll make a note of whether or not the body was manufactured in the same year as the neck. The serial number on the headstock is a '20, so I just assumed the body matched, but I guess not necessarily. I don't have the hang tag either, so I don't know what part of 2020. I believe the general word from PRS regarding all this is that they switched over to nitro finishes in mid-2019 and that, theoretically, any body done in 2020 should be nitro. Though, I am not sure if the SS line was an exception to this rule.

I would be thrilled to know it’s nitro

I'll definitely take a look and report back before the month is over (just going to get some more mileage out of this first set of strings before I disassemble and have to replace them).

One promising (if you can call checking promising! I'm not sure how exactly to feel about it...) sign is that I think there is a very slight amount of linear checking behind the bridge on the top. I tried to get a picture of it, but its so faint it doesn't come through - the camera wants to focus on the reflections and not the surface. They're definitely NOT scratches and I've never seen this on a urethane finish, so my tentative conclusion is that this might be the start of some nitro cracking/checking already.

Which is all to say, it seems like nitro to me? I’m no finish expert to be sure…

Last edited:
NGD!

Received my new-to-me SS yesterday and initial impressions are great. Took a bit of fiddling with the setup - I think the prior owner had set it up for a floating bridge and then Guitar Center didn't quite adjust the trem-claw and bridge screws back to stock configuration correctly - but that's to be expected with a used guitar purchased online. It feels great in my hand now and that is, of course, what matters.

Also I had to buy it with almost no pictures (very low res) and I had no idea what year it was. Glad to find out this is a 2020 model, so I believe it has the updated/revised pickups, neck profile, and nitro finish - is my understanding correct?

Either way, I think it's a keeper. Like I said, it feels and plays great and the condition is really excellent. Very minimal play wear. It came with zero of the original accessories though, so have to decide whether I want to pick up the hard shell case or the premium gig bag.

Edit: Decided to save the extra $100 and went with the stock SS gig-bag straight from PRS Accessories - :).

jLUYOtK.jpg

Congratulations, what a beauty!

I'll definitely take a look and report back before the month is over (just going to get some more mileage out of this first set of strings before I disassemble and have to replace them).

One promising (if you can call checking promising! I'm not sure how exactly to feel about it...) sign is that I think there is a very slight amount of linear checking behind the bridge on the top. I tried to get a picture of it, but its so faint it doesn't come through - the camera wants to focus on the reflections and not the surface. They're definitely NOT scratches and I've never seen this on a urethane finish, so my tentative conclusion is that this might be the start of some nitro cracking/checking already.

Which is all to say, it seems like nitro to me? I’m no finish expert to be sure…

Maybe I'm wrong, but given that finish was discontinued when they brought in the new colors that would be nitro, I always assumed they finished up the Horizon builds without nitro (even if it was in 2020). Talking out of my ass but what I always assumed.

Hi all - I have a 2020 SS. But I'm having a lot of noise issues in positions 1, 3, and 5. Bridge, middle and neck pickups. When I run guitar into a Cali 76, into an OD, then into my amp. It's always been like this but now I'm wondering if there is an issue? I've sent a request for the wiring diagram to PRS and for any thoughts they might have...earlier today. So I wonder if this group has any thoughts? I live in MD so I might take a ride to PRS once things are open again in MD. Thanks to all who can provide some thoughts!

Hi all - I have a 2020 SS. But I'm having a lot of noise issues in positions 1, 3, and 5. Bridge, middle and neck pickups. When I run guitar into a Cali 76, into an OD, then into my amp. It's always been like this but now I'm wondering if there is an issue? I've sent a request for the wiring diagram to PRS and for any thoughts they might have...earlier today. So I wonder if this group has any thoughts? I live in MD so I might take a ride to PRS once things are open again in MD. Thanks to all who can provide some thoughts!
I'm no expert, and you've probably already considered these points, but since you didn't mention I thought I'd point it out here: Noise issues that disappear in the out of phase wiring positions (2 & 4) to me suggests a problem outside of the guitar. You don't have this issue with other guitars I take it? Made sure the amp is on a properly grounded circuit and not sharing a line with a noisy appliance?

Maybe I'm wrong, but given that finish was discontinued when they brought in the new colors that would be nitro, I always assumed they finished up the Horizon builds without nitro (even if it was in 2020). Talking out of my ass but what I always assumed.
You are probably right. To be honest, my personal preference would be not nitro. But, I think there is still a possibility. According to their main website, PRS transitioned all guitars to nitro finish on the fly during 2019. I took off my pickguard and my body is also a 2019 - even though the guitar is a 2020. But, the body is November of 2019, so fairly late in the year they made the switch. I suppose the only way to be sure is to take a q-tip and some lacquer thinner to a small spot underneath the pick guard...

As a side note, I am surprised I found no shielding paint underneath the pickguard. that's standard?

CpVCn5f.png

Positions 2 and 4 are such that they provide hum bucking hence quiet - no noise so that is normal on most S type guitars...My amp is brand new and I had it made special in Nashville. My other single coil - non quiet coil guitars are not noisy. The fact that PRS has like zero shielding is part of the issue - guess JM didn't want anything messing with the magnets on the pups....but I wonder if I have another issue going on.

You are probably right. To be honest, my personal preference would be not nitro. But, I think there is still a possibility. According to their main website, PRS transitioned all guitars to nitro finish on the fly during 2019. I took off my pickguard and my body is also a 2019 - even though the guitar is a 2020. But, the body is November of 2019, so fairly late in the year they made the switch. I suppose the only way to be sure is to take a q-tip and some lacquer thinner to a small spot underneath the pick guard...

As a side note, I am surprised I found no shielding paint underneath the pickguard. that's standard?

Standard...JM wanted no shielding - read this somewhere.

CpVCn5f.png

Positions 2 and 4 are such that they provide hum bucking hence quiet - no noise so that is normal on most S type guitars...My amp is brand new and I had it made special in Nashville. My other single coil - non quiet coil guitars are not noisy. The fact that PRS has like zero shielding is part of the issue - guess JM didn't want anything messing with the magnets on the pups....but I wonder if I have another issue going on.
Yep :) I just meant that since the noise goes away then it must be coming from outside the guitar (e.g. the 60 cycle hum that humbuckers cancel out). If your other single coil guitars have no noise, then I agree maybe it is the guitar - but as you also pointed out, perhaps shielding has something to do with it. Also, no matter how nice the Amp is, if you put it in a noisy or ungrounded circuit in your house, it's gonna have noise.

Yep :) I just meant that since the noise goes away then it must be coming from outside the guitar (e.g. the 60 cycle hum that humbuckers cancel out). If your other single coil guitars have no noise, then I agree maybe it is the guitar - but as you also pointed out, perhaps shielding has something to do with it. Also, no matter how nice the Amp is, if you put it in a noisy or ungrounded circuit in your house, it's gonna have noise.

Yep - But I doubt it's the amp. The guitar buzzes on all my amps...I bet it's just the way the SS's are. I'll see what PRS PTC says...Thanks!

Yep - But I doubt it's the amp. The guitar buzzes on all my amps...I bet it's just the way the SS's are. I'll see what PRS PTC says...Thanks!
It may not be the amp or guitar is my point. You may just have a noisy circuit in your house. Just something to think about as you troubleshoot. For example, if I run my amp on the same circuit as my PC, there is much more noise

Last edited:
It may not be the amp or guitar is my point. You may just have a noisy circuit in your house. Just something to think about as you troubleshoot. For example, if I run my amp on the same circuit as my PC, there is much more noise

This is very true. If I have a certain light on in my living room all my single coil guitars have noise, and my music room is 40 feet away.

Got my Silver Sky in tungston 2 days ago - what a beautiful guitar. One thing that is driving me mad is that the fretboard has an incredibly strong smell of fish. I am guessing some rancid linseed oil at the factory was used. Curious if I am the only one or if others have seen (smelled) this as well? I tried getting rid of it with some naptha and f one, but not helping much. Once it heats up a little from playing it gets even stronger. Then I can smell it on my hand for hours after. It's pretty sickening and definitely taking away from what should be an awesome honeymoon period with this new piece of art. It freaking wreaks.

Got my Silver Sky in tungston 2 days ago - what a beautiful guitar. One thing that is driving me mad is that the fretboard has an incredibly strong smell of fish. I am guessing some rancid linseed oil at the factory was used. Curious if I am the only one or if others have seen (smelled) this as well? I tried getting rid of it with some naptha and f one, but not helping much. Once it heats up a little from playing it gets even stronger. Then I can smell it on my hand for hours after. It's pretty sickening and definitely taking away from what should be an awesome honeymoon period with this new piece of art. It freaking wreaks.
Someone else mentioned the smell, but I can't remember if it was a SS or another model.

Is it brand new? It may be the lacquer smell. My new one smelled for a hot minute.

I can't say that I noticed the smell, but your guitar is probably too far away. ;)

No smell on my Silver Sky (rosewood). But my BRW 513 still has a smell all these years later - a pleasant smell, to be sure, but it's there.

Is it brand new? It may be the lacquer smell. My new one smelled for a hot minute.
It is brand new. Is certainly the fretboard. Few things used on guitars can have a fishy smell - but rancid linseed oil is one of them. It smells like the deck of a bluefishing boat in the summer!

Back