The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome. While I’m still awaiting the guitar, I’ve been reading a few posts and I am genuinely curious: what made you pull the trigger on the SS? Was it a particular characteristic like the pickup tone, or the feel of the neck, or the fact that it’s the JM signature model, or something else? Anything goes!

This is going to be my first PRS guitar, and after 2+ years of going back & fourth with my decision I can honestly say this: I bought it because the pickups sound outstanding and they feel unbelievably well tuned in.

Thanks for sharing your insight :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the kind welcome. While I’m still awaiting the guitar, I’ve been reading a few posts and I am genuinely curious: what made you pull the trigger on the SS? Was it a particular characteristic like the pickup tone, or the feel of the neck, or the fact that it’s the JM signature model, or something else? Anything goes!

This is going to be my first PRS guitar, and after 2+ years of going back & fourth with my decision I can honestly say this: I bought it because the pickups sound outstanding and they feel unbelievably well tuned in.

It was the whole package for me. When the Silver Sky was announced and got so much internet hate, I wanted to try one out just to see how they turned out. (Ignore all the other forumites groaning, "Not this story again...") My local dealer was having a PRS day. Someone else on the forum was going to check out the guitar and planned on buying it. I went just to try it out - I really had zero intention of buying one because I don't think of myself as a single-coil guy. Never found a Strat I could really bond with, plus I have a 513 that gets close enough to those tones for my purposes.

So we end up passing the guitar back and forth for 15-20 minutes, giving each other ideas to try out. And the more we're playing, the more I'm liking the guitar - it reminded me of all the things I liked about Strat tones but never found. I found out later the PRS rep told the other guy that we were the only people who checked out the guitar for more than a minute or two, and that we'd passed it back and forth for about an hour. In the end, he passed on it, and I beat myself about the head and shoulders for close to an hour deciding whether to pull the trigger or not. And I did.

I stopped back in the shop after I ate lunch that day because I forgot to get strap locks while I was there (unrelated to the Silver Sky, although it did get a set). The salesman said, "Weren't you just here?" I said, "Yeah, but I was thinking about selling in this Silver Sky I bought. What can I get for it?" His eyes got wide and he said, "Dude - don't even joke about it. I've had a few people who came to see it and offered to pay over list price for it."

It was the whole package for me. When the Silver Sky was announced and got so much internet hate, I wanted to try one out just to see how they turned out. (Ignore all the other forumites groaning, "Not this story again...") My local dealer was having a PRS day. Someone else on the forum was going to check out the guitar and planned on buying it. I went just to try it out - I really had zero intention of buying one because I don't think of myself as a single-coil guy. Never found a Strat I could really bond with, plus I have a 513 that gets close enough to those tones for my purposes.

So we end up passing the guitar back and forth for 15-20 minutes, giving each other ideas to try out. And the more we're playing, the more I'm liking the guitar - it reminded me of all the things I liked about Strat tones but never found. I found out later the PRS rep told the other guy that we were the only people who checked out the guitar for more than a minute or two, and that we'd passed it back and forth for about an hour. In the end, he passed on it, and I beat myself about the head and shoulders for close to an hour deciding whether to pull the trigger or not. And I did.

I stopped back in the shop after I ate lunch that day because I forgot to get strap locks while I was there (unrelated to the Silver Sky, although it did get a set). The salesman said, "Weren't you just here?" I said, "Yeah, but I was thinking about selling in this Silver Sky I bought. What can I get for it?" His eyes got wide and he said, "Dude - don't even joke about it. I've had a few people who came to see it and offered to pay over list price for it."

That is a really cool story with some twists, ha ha! Well, I have never fully understood the hate that ensued once the original SS had been introduced. "Don't judge the book by its cover" - I kept reminding myself when I saw the first "first impressions" videos in 2018. The only factor stopping me from getting one at the time was the rosewood fretboard, as I am one of those 10 people on this planet who genuinely prefer maple boards over anything else .

Now, with the maple boards (and in satin!) being available (and also with somewhat chunkier neck, a plus for me), I felt that all the stars had aligned and that I should finally give it a try. It is supposed to arrive later today, so I am counting the hours (minutes?).

Thanks, that was a really interesting read. I think there are a lot of people who either openly (some still secretly) dig the SS for what it has become - an overall fantastic tone machine that looks like "we-all-know-what", but sounds consistently better unlike that other guitar, ha ha! I think Paul & John have done an amazing job with the SS, no question :)

I found a "First 500" with case on CL about an hour from me. The price was pretty much retail, but no tax of course.
When I got there and opened the case I saw the flamed maple neck and that was it.
Played it unplugged for about 10 seconds, payed the lady and ran.
Figured if I ended up not bonding with it I'd easily get my money back.
This thing ain't going nowhere...:D

Well, here it is…
UPqYejg3YnXhNRDy8

First impressions - very positive. Extremely resonant (the sustain!), the neck is nothing like a Fender (no surprise there, ha ha!) & it's exceptionally comfortable. The pickups are the real sh*t, and the satin finish… well, I could have opted for a different one, ha ha! Nah, it's a keeper for sure. I am also quite surprised by the weight - not that heavy. On top of that exceptionally well balanced, but that I was expecting :)

The only thing that spoiled (if at all) the fun was the neck plate bearing some smudges of wax (I think from the waxed screws) - can't seem to remove them, but I can't be bothered with that kind of nonsense with the guitar sounding so good.

I am a happy camper, Gang!

Yea...damn my electrifying personality...maybe its the headscarf :p
Anyone have a definitive cure for this. Both of mine are now doing this, rosewood one more so, even picking up static noise from back of neck. Anyone cure this other than drier sheets please????

So since I last posted, I exchanged a few different ones to get a different color/neck shape, etc., and have settled on a polar blue with rosewood neck. This thing plays itself. I recently made a trip out to Nashville and swung by Gruhns Guitars. I played several Fender Custom Shop strats and I was nonplussed with each of them. I was amazed. The Silver Sky was miles above in fit, finish, and consistency. Every one I’ve played feels rock solid and just “alive”. Not so on the Fenders. I am glad I got to play all those guitars because I have no illusions about the next “nice” guitar. I already have it! This is just my experience of course, to each their own, but there is also some magic in the Silver Sky’s pots. So much usable range that I’m not used to having. I am really really impressed. I use this through a Princeton Reverb Reissue and have found my “tone”. My favorite pedal to use is the 1981 DRV right now. Just perfect!

So since I last posted, I exchanged a few different ones to get a different color/neck shape, etc., and have settled on a polar blue with rosewood neck. This thing plays itself. I recently made a trip out to Nashville and swung by Gruhns Guitars. I played several Fender Custom Shop strats and I was nonplussed with each of them. I was amazed. The Silver Sky was miles above in fit, finish, and consistency. Every one I’ve played feels rock solid and just “alive”. Not so on the Fenders. I am glad I got to play all those guitars because I have no illusions about the next “nice” guitar. I already have it! This is just my experience of course, to each their own, but there is also some magic in the Silver Sky’s pots. So much usable range that I’m not used to having. I am really really impressed. I use this through a Princeton Reverb Reissue and have found my “tone”. My favorite pedal to use is the 1981 DRV right now. Just perfect!

On two separate occasions I set out to buy a Custom Shop Strat. Now I have 2 silver sky’s. I thought the custom shops were nice, they just weren’t as good sounding/feeling for my tastes and obviously more expensive.

Always happy to hear about people enjoying them as much as I do!

Well, here it is…
UPqYejg3YnXhNRDy8

First impressions - very positive. Extremely resonant (the sustain!), the neck is nothing like a Fender (no surprise there, ha ha!) & it's exceptionally comfortable. The pickups are the real sh*t, and the satin finish… well, I could have opted for a different one, ha ha! Nah, it's a keeper for sure. I am also quite surprised by the weight - not that heavy. On top of that exceptionally well balanced, but that I was expecting :)

The only thing that spoiled (if at all) the fun was the neck plate bearing some smudges of wax (I think from the waxed screws) - can't seem to remove them, but I can't be bothered with that kind of nonsense with the guitar sounding so good.

I am a happy camper, Gang!
Dayum fine mate! Such a great guitar!

For me the feel of the neck and playability sold me on it. (Cork sniffing) the acoustic resonance was great as well.... I don't need an amp most of the time it is loud.

Back