The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Has anyone changed the string gauge on their silver sky?

I heard from someone changed to 9s but it required some neck work to do so. Didn’t really want to get into crazy setup territory but curious what others have done.

I heard from someone changed to 9s but it required some neck work to do so. Didn’t really want to get into crazy setup territory but curious what others have done.

I’ve always liked 10s so I haven’t changed mine. Any change in string gauge or tuning will require a set up but it’s not super hard and won’t take long so I’d say try it out and see how you like it, it’ll be easy enough to go back if you find you prefer 10s.

If you want to dip your toe in the water without getting too wet, try the 9.5 set. That's my favorite on most guitars.

17ltpy0en2a71.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NpbHZlci1za3ktcm94eS1waW5rLXJvc2V3b29kLWhvcml6b250YWwtMjAyMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxOTIwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjY2MywiZml0IjoiY292ZXIifX19

I changed my set to D'Addario 9-46s. It has the same string tension as 10s in the wound strings, but a lighter gauge on the unwounds. I prefer this to standard 10s, as the unwound strings sound spankier! No neck adjustment needed for me, just some tweaks on the saddles.

I really love that new color (per @John F - "Bazooka Sky"/"Pepto-Musical", or perhaps "Cotton Dandy"), but what I really want is the Moondog Wily version which would be this color, but all black hardware, black pick guard, black pup's, etc. It would look SOOOO HOTTTT and it would sell big I bet! I know, go buy a PS, right? Should not have to for different color hardware. Besides, I am at my limit (financially) for the year, except maybe a Vela (semi hollow, satin, black or natural cherry) near the end of the year. Unless they were to release the MW SS in Cotton Dandy (this new color with metalic bits) with Space Canvas hardware (that would be black with shiny stars on pickguard and headstock, ok getting pretty down PS road now, but still)! In which case, I would probably sell one of my Martins to get it ;~))

On some pics it looks like a metallic paint, on others (Mayer's video in particular) it looks more like a regular/flat pink paint.
Which is it ?

Back