The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

For sure Tungsten is available in 2021. I think only onyx (black) and horizon (red) are currently "retired"
So much wiggle room in the future to re-release things with a twist or save up for for special runs. A black silver sky with a maple neck and a blocked tremolo block sound kinda familiar?
Relic'ed guitars? Flamed maple necks? Roasted maple fret boards? I can't wait to see the future of this line.
I doubt we get ash bodies since those are less appreciable in opaque paints. And JM is adamant he does not want bursts finishes or anything that is more vintage related color wise.

First post. NGD. First PRS. 2021 Moc Sand/Rosewood Silver Sky. Preordered and waited about 6 weeks from Prymaxe.

I was a little surprised and expected the finish to be much more flat. This one definitely has some sheen. I’d say that mine looks and feels like a normal Fender non relic finish. Seems thinner than a Gibson nitro. No nitro smell. Not a deal breaker, just different than I anticipated.

Neck is chunky but I wouldn’t describe it as a “baseball bat”. I’m not super particular about necks, but when I learned of the spec change, I was afraid this could be beyond my comfort range. Thankfully it’s all good.

Hang tag says born on April 8 2021. ‘21 serial on the headstock. Any chance they went back to a standard finish? Or do I up just have different definition of satin?

First post. NGD. First PRS. 2021 Moc Sand/Rosewood Silver Sky. Preordered and waited about 6 weeks from Prymaxe.

I was a little surprised and expected the finish to be much more flat. This one definitely has some sheen. I’d say that mine looks and feels like a normal Fender non relic finish. Seems thinner than a Gibson nitro. No nitro smell. Not a deal breaker, just different than I anticipated.

Neck is chunky but I wouldn’t describe it as a “baseball bat”. I’m not super particular about necks, but when I learned of the spec change, I was afraid this could be beyond my comfort range. Thankfully it’s all good.

Hang tag says born on April 8 2021. ‘21 serial on the headstock. Any chance they went back to a standard finish? Or do I up just have different definition of satin?

My satin is satin in the way sheets would be satin - not matte/flat, and not gloss, pretty much right between the two. I love the feel of it. I wouldn’t in any way compare it to either of my strats, not that they are bad, they’re just definitely glossy (same with my 2019 silver sky). Of my 7 guitars, it’s definitely my favorite finish, but that’s just my personal preference.

Hey all,
I’ve had a silver sky since 2019. The scarf joint doesn’t bother me at all but just wanted to know if it’s ‘normal’ to feel the line. It is by no means prominent but if you run your nail over it it clicks.
just wanted to make sure this isn’t a sign of any movement or the lacquer sinking in.
Any info is much appreciated :)

For sure Tungsten is available in 2021. I think only onyx (black) and horizon (red) are currently "retired"

Wow, I didn’t know Horizon was retired. Just looked on Reverb and saw only one red one there, at >150% over new retail! It doesn’t take long. Guess I better hang on to mine!

Congrats on the S/S, and welcome! @RallyFanatic is right on the finish, it’s just less shiny than gloss, but does have a sheen to it. I think it’s a great look.

Hey all,
I’ve had a silver sky since 2019. The scarf joint doesn’t bother me at all but just wanted to know if it’s ‘normal’ to feel the line. It is by no means prominent but if you run your nail over it it clicks.
just wanted to make sure this isn’t a sign of any movement or the lacquer sinking in.
Any info is much appreciated
I checked mine, a 2018, and it’s smooth as silk over the scarf joint. I wouldn’t say that means your’s is doing anything odd unless it was “seamless” and now there’s a seam. A scarf joint like that is stronger than the wood itself, I’m told, so you should be fine. Were it to become more noticeable, give the PTC a call.

Picked up a Silver Sky midnight rose today, the colour is absolutely stunning.

mom so happy with the guitar so far. The pickups are amazing, the finish is fantastic. The neck is so nice, just melts in your hand.

Obviously going to have a honeymoon phase, but I’m so happy with it

7CqHBeh
https://imgur.com/gallery/7CqHBeh

Last edited:
I

It's always interesting to hear Paul talk. There are however things that he says as if they were simple factual truths that are absolutely, demonstrably, patently inaccurate, like, in this video: "nickel silver is mostly nickel and stainless steel is mostly nickel".

Couldn't be more false. Nickel silver is mostly copper (60% or more) and rarely, if ever, even 20% nickel.

Stainless steel is mostly almost 75% iron. It rarely holds more than 15% nickel and derives its property from chromium, not nickel.

I'm not a Silver Sky naysayer because it doesn't have stainless, or a PRS naysayer for that reason; I own 3 PRS, including a Silver Sky.

But to hear Paul imply that the fretwire he uses is comparable to stainless because they both contain mostly nickel is disappointing. We should all be comfortable enough with the truth to base our decisions on that without trying to influence based on half thruths or, in this case, false truths.

Hey all, I've scrolled through this thread relentlessly searching for answers, but still coming up short. Loving all the pics of your beautiful axes though.

I'm wondering if someone can give me a rundown of how the Midnight Rose finish looks in person.

I've seen pictures that make it look almost pastel pink, while others make it look like a heavily saturated copper. Honestly love the pale pink look, but not too fond of orange hues. It's totally possible it takes on both of these hues depending on the light, but how does it typically present in normal indoor lighting?

Thanks!

Hey all, I've scrolled through this thread relentlessly searching for answers, but still coming up short. Loving all the pics of your beautiful axes though.

I'm wondering if someone can give me a rundown of how the Midnight Rose finish looks in person.

I've seen pictures that make it look almost pastel pink, while others make it look like a heavily saturated copper. Honestly love the pale pink look, but not too fond of orange hues. It's totally possible it takes on both of these hues depending on the light, but how does it typically present in normal indoor lighting?

Thanks!

hey! I just picked up a midnight rose SS less than a week ago (see above) so I’ll try and describe it as best as possible.

first off, I’ve noticed nearly every time I pick up the guitar, it gives off a different vibe. It’s almost like a light version of the flip/flop colours, which is what I love about it.

In regular indoor lighting, to me it’s more pink. This doesn’t necessarily mean every single room in my house gives off the same vibe though. In my basement with not a lot of natural light it’s more pink. In one of my rooms with lots of windows it’s almost more coppery/ rose goldy.

to me, it never really gives off intense orange hues, it always feels more rose gold than copper, but the copper vibe is still there in certain lights.

I showed my wife the pictures when I got it, and the first thing she said when she saw it in person was “oh wow it’s more copper in the pictures and rose gold in real life”

the best thing to do is obviously see one for yourself in person.

hey! I just picked up a midnight rose SS less than a week ago (see above) so I’ll try and describe it as best as possible.

first off, I’ve noticed nearly every time I pick up the guitar, it gives off a different vibe. It’s almost like a light version of the flip/flop colours, which is what I love about it.

In regular indoor lighting, to me it’s more pink. This doesn’t necessarily mean every single room in my house gives off the same vibe though. In my basement with not a lot of natural light it’s more pink. In one of my rooms with lots of windows it’s almost more coppery/ rose goldy.

to me, it never really gives off intense orange hues, it always feels more rose gold than copper, but the copper vibe is still there in certain lights.

I showed my wife the pictures when I got it, and the first thing she said when she saw it in person was “oh wow it’s more copper in the pictures and rose gold in real life”

the best thing to do is obviously see one for yourself in person.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of testimony I've been looking for.

Congrats on the new baby -- it sounds like I might be joining you soon in the Midnight Rose club. It just seems like the most dynamic and mesmerizing of the normal finishes, yet without immediately demanding one's attention like the Nebula or Lunar finishes.

Looks fantastic. I went back and forth between the midnight rose and tungsten and still think about getting a midnight rose one day.

Btw, is that Tim's guitar (Canada)?

And I'm assuming the @RMFTR is a Bama brother? :cool:

Roll Tide! 2014 alum here. I can't help but low-key project my allegiance whenever I create an online pseudonym.

Appreciate the feedback though -- tungsten is another top contender for me. It's like the equivalent of a nicely tailored suit as guitars go. Just downright classy and powerful at the same time.

The third option I'm toying with (Lord help me), is Polar Blue. I actually gut-ordered the Polar Blue, and it will be here today. It's going to take a lot to send it back, but the elusive, dynamic nature of the MR might be too unique to pass up.

I've been eyeing a SS since the initial release, and tried my hardest to get my hands on a Lunar Ice preorder. At this point, I know it's time to bite the bullet, but never in my life have I had this much difficulty discerning a color palette. The choices seem so innocuous at first, but then you google around and quickly realize that all of these colors have something deeper to offer what what initially meets the eye. Pretty cool how PRS managed to pull that off, but WOW it makes the decision tough.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of testimony I've been looking for.

Congrats on the new baby -- it sounds like I might be joining you soon in the Midnight Rose club. It just seems like the most dynamic and mesmerizing of the normal finishes, yet without immediately demanding one's attention like the Nebula or Lunar finishes.

No problem! I hope you join the Rosie crew!

yeah I really love the finish. I’m not really one for flashy finishes, but this one straddles the line of being flashy but still really classy.

Back