The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I did the comparison between an October ‘18 model and the new one which was built in November ‘20. I also noticed the bigger frets / low output pups earlier (January ‘20) but it was in a store so the context could have influenced my perception...

Ok,
So now I've had the Satin Moc Sand for a few days and ready for a fuller review.

My god this thing is amazing. The neck felt good in store and then once home, but it's getting better every day. The satin neck is a dream. I have a similar satin neck on my fender player mustang bass, but this one is next level. I don't know how PRS manages all these micro details. Both necks are satin maple. Yet somehow the PRS has this elevated feel that adds even more pleasure to the satin. And that's kind of the deal with the SS all over. Just a collection of micro details that add up to something really magical. I've got chunky hands and this and the pattern vintage are the best feeling necks I've felt in ages (hint PRS PLEASE make PV in satin on the SE Hollows...)

Silver Sky's have been covered to death so I won't go over the tone, neck carve, etc, but focus on what I know so far about the satin finish since that's not out everywhere.

Have you slept in really good sheets? Like not fake high thread count stuff, but the real deal? That's how this satin feels versus say a satin from Gretsch or some of the others I've felt recently. Hell, I had a Chris Cornell 335 satin that was double the price of this yet felt 3 times cheaper. This finish feels like a chinchilla against my arm. It's not super porous/grainy feeling like the cheaper satins. This is carbon fiber. You can just feel that it's satin for sure, but you just glide over the surface. Just super smooth. Again, the best way to describe is like super good sheets. You know there are threads there somewhere but your skin just glides over it. That's how this satin is.

Unless your arm's sweaty. Then not as much. Still pretty good, but worth playing under an air con for full effect. I'm in Bangkok so it's ALWAYS hot and muggy. But as long as I'm not just out of the shower or back from a walk it's a joy to play. And this would be worse with a gloss finished guitar...so not really a point of issue for me.

THIS WILL RELIC. I sat the guitar on the carpet because I was lacking a stand. It immediately chipped on the back. Just a super tiny one where there was a fraction of a dog bone or something on carpet. But a normally finished guitar would not have broken a sweat with this (I have other guitars that are on the floor constantly). I personally believe S guitars SHOULD show wear though. I don't know I just grew up seeing super beat up ones, so shiny ones to me mean you don't really play LOL (I kid...mostly). But yeah satin and nitro...to me if you're buying this, you're wanting it to age. If you're hoping this will stay pristine...you're definitely barking up the wrong tree. Get you one of the many bowling ball finished PRS's that exist and be happy.

But if you'd like to one day have a journeyman strat. This is the way to go. At 6lbs 6 ounces my version is lighter than many 330's I've played. And you add that silky smooth feeling on my hands on forearm...there's no other guitar I'm reaching for. I'm curious to see how the finish will change. My house is all glass and BKK again is constant sun. So I might accelerate the wear and tear a bit if I'm not careful (which I kind of don't plan to be). So we'll see. I have a nitro Troublemaker Tele Ice Blue that's already greening after two years slightly. I expect this one to change a bit too, but we'll see.

Oh and the color on the satin. It's def a baby light silver. But also often more sand/gold in the right light. You wouldn't think a satin gray guitar would be a chameleon...but it is. It's almost aged firemist in some lighting and then pure gray in others. Here's a link to a couple quick cell phone snaps I did on the floor (probably scored myself another chip here LOL). Any questions I'll be glad to answer. Oh one thing I don't know if it's the shipment over here or what. But the nitro doesn't have that super sweet smell I was hoping for...I guess that's my only complaint LOL.

TLDR not for collectors or those who want their guitars to survive a nuclear winter. But for those who want a guitar to wear with them as they play, I can't imagine better. As someone who detests glossy guitars, this is near perfection (I say near because I imagine without the gloss coat you can't pull off most of the metallics correctly? would love a polar blue satin...)

https://imgur.com/gallery/oVO7hIm

Inline
jgCCTfv_d.jpg

Wife has said, that guitar is so “you” why don’t you get another on...just in another color......... and here I was thinking my 35 anniversary se was more “me” lol. She does not know what she has done lol!

So, why was the world up in arms over the radius again? The biggest change is my technique has become sharper on the rounder radius. I do may fair share of shredding and bending ( think Tony mcalpine) I can still play everything I played before. And what with the complaints of a beefy neck? It’s in between pattern thin and pattern regular. Perhaps I don’t really understand the concerns or they were never a real issue from the beginning.

Ok,
So now I've had the Satin Moc Sand for a few days and ready for a fuller review.

My god this thing is amazing. The neck felt good in store and then once home, but it's getting better every day. The satin neck is a dream. I have a similar satin neck on my fender player mustang bass, but this one is next level. I don't know how PRS manages all these micro details. Both necks are satin maple. Yet somehow the PRS has this elevated feel that adds even more pleasure to the satin. And that's kind of the deal with the SS all over. Just a collection of micro details that add up to something really magical. I've got chunky hands and this and the pattern vintage are the best feeling necks I've felt in ages (hint PRS PLEASE make PV in satin on the SE Hollows...)

Silver Sky's have been covered to death so I won't go over the tone, neck carve, etc, but focus on what I know so far about the satin finish since that's not out everywhere.

Have you slept in really good sheets? Like not fake high thread count stuff, but the real deal? That's how this satin feels versus say a satin from Gretsch or some of the others I've felt recently. Hell, I had a Chris Cornell 335 satin that was double the price of this yet felt 3 times cheaper. This finish feels like a chinchilla against my arm. It's not super porous/grainy feeling like the cheaper satins. This is carbon fiber. You can just feel that it's satin for sure, but you just glide over the surface. Just super smooth. Again, the best way to describe is like super good sheets. You know there are threads there somewhere but your skin just glides over it. That's how this satin is.

Unless your arm's sweaty. Then not as much. Still pretty good, but worth playing under an air con for full effect. I'm in Bangkok so it's ALWAYS hot and muggy. But as long as I'm not just out of the shower or back from a walk it's a joy to play. And this would be worse with a gloss finished guitar...so not really a point of issue for me.

THIS WILL RELIC. I sat the guitar on the carpet because I was lacking a stand. It immediately chipped on the back. Just a super tiny one where there was a fraction of a dog bone or something on carpet. But a normally finished guitar would not have broken a sweat with this (I have other guitars that are on the floor constantly). I personally believe S guitars SHOULD show wear though. I don't know I just grew up seeing super beat up ones, so shiny ones to me mean you don't really play LOL (I kid...mostly). But yeah satin and nitro...to me if you're buying this, you're wanting it to age. If you're hoping this will stay pristine...you're definitely barking up the wrong tree. Get you one of the many bowling ball finished PRS's that exist and be happy.

But if you'd like to one day have a journeyman strat. This is the way to go. At 6lbs 6 ounces my version is lighter than many 330's I've played. And you add that silky smooth feeling on my hands on forearm...there's no other guitar I'm reaching for. I'm curious to see how the finish will change. My house is all glass and BKK again is constant sun. So I might accelerate the wear and tear a bit if I'm not careful (which I kind of don't plan to be). So we'll see. I have a nitro Troublemaker Tele Ice Blue that's already greening after two years slightly. I expect this one to change a bit too, but we'll see.

Oh and the color on the satin. It's def a baby light silver. But also often more sand/gold in the right light. You wouldn't think a satin gray guitar would be a chameleon...but it is. It's almost aged firemist in some lighting and then pure gray in others. Here's a link to a couple quick cell phone snaps I did on the floor (probably scored myself another chip here LOL). Any questions I'll be glad to answer. Oh one thing I don't know if it's the shipment over here or what. But the nitro doesn't have that super sweet smell I was hoping for...I guess that's my only complaint LOL.

TLDR not for collectors or those who want their guitars to survive a nuclear winter. But for those who want a guitar to wear with them as they play, I can't imagine better. As someone who detests glossy guitars, this is near perfection (I say near because I imagine without the gloss coat you can't pull off most of the metallics correctly? would love a polar blue satin...)

https://imgur.com/gallery/oVO7hIm

Chips finish on new guitar and shrugs it off. That, friend, is rock n’ roll!!

Thanks for the write up on the finish, I’m interested in checking one out in person. I’d have really liked satin black if it were an option...maybe someday.

Chips finish on new guitar and shrugs it off. That, friend, is rock n’ roll!!

Thanks for the write up on the finish, I’m interested in checking one out in person. I’d have really liked satin black if it were an option...maybe someday.

I heard a story once where a guy got a new truck. His dad hands him a rock and says throw it at the truck. The guy is shocked. The dad says it’s going to happen sooner or later and you won’t be able to enjoy it until it happens and it might as well be you that does it. Lol

Sorry last thing. I saw a few mentions of sharp bridge screws. I palm mute and was worried about this. Don’t know if those were exceptions or mine represents a new build feature but I do not have those problems. All the areas are well worked and smooth to the touch. I made a video of me grinding my palm all over it but haven’t uploaded it yet.

anyways, I’ve only played a handful of newer builds over here (all 2020 or later) and haven’t felt a rough bridge...

Sorry last thing. I saw a few mentions of sharp bridge screws. I palm mute and was worried about this. Don’t know if those were exceptions or mine represents a new build feature but I do not have those problems. All the areas are well worked and smooth to the touch. I made a video of me grinding my palm all over it but haven’t uploaded it yet.

anyways, I’ve only played a handful of newer builds over here (all 2020 or later) and haven’t felt a rough bridge...
The saddle have countersunk screws. I was worried about that as well because I palm mute. Was going to change the saddles until I discovered that.....no issues palm muting at all.

Hell I almost tore the strings off my SE 35 doing a bend yesterday!!! The size 9 stings (or maybe I have EB slinky’s on). Was the first time that I noticed it was easier to chord/comp on my SS than on the wide thin neck.

As far as soloing, I can’t say it’s easier on a flatter radius fingerboard, just different. I can still rip with pace on the SS.

Well it’s here.

I can’t believe it’s a 25.5” scale it plays so easy, I was shocked.

it really gets along well with this amp too, having had an AVRI reissue strat and an Anderson version I didn’t really expect so much balance across the positions and the bridge pup is just so useful.

171527529.jpg

171527525.jpg

Last edited:
Well it’s here.

I can’t believe it’s a 25.5” scale it plays so easy, I was shocked.

it really gets along well with this amp too, having had an AVRI reissue strat and an Anderson version I didn’t really expect so much balance across the positions and the bridge pup is just so useful.

171527529.jpg

171527525.jpg

that’s a mighty handsome hue on that silver sky!

Back