The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Why exactly is that?

I was joking mainly, however in photos to me it’s getting close to that too flashy territory. I haven’t seen one in person so I can’t say for sure, but they definitely are beautiful guitars. I’m more in the vintage style finish, down low camp. So for me over the top flame or curly maple, lots of shiny inlays and binding is a no go. Thankfully PRS makes vintage type finishes as well so it’s all good.

Edit: I like looking at these over the top finishes PRS does, just wouldn’t want to play one that’s all.

Every now and then (today being one of those) I get the idea to go search out all the 2018 interviews with John and Paul on the Silver Sky. It always seems to put all of the commentary on the Silver Sky into perspective. The guitar was exactly what it was intended to be. With a scarf joint. With pickup buzz. With a non-current Fender or PRS neck size or shape. It was more than as-planned, it was the intended result for things not known until they were discovered. I have a 2018, and it’s the best Strat-non-Strat I’ve ever played.

Interestingly, unusually for the industry, and usual for both PRS and JM, it was intended not to stay the same no matter how successful the 2018 became. It was intended to evolve, change, adapt... to move forward. Talk about musically inclined and not-business-as-usual-in-the-musical-instrument-business!

I understand people wanting this or that changed to make it their perfect guitar. And I believe Paul or John would give their hearty approval to your modding it to that end. They are doing what they think makes it their perfect Stratesque guitar, and that answers all the “why” or “why not” questions. For me.

Every now and then (today being one of those) I get the idea to go search out all the 2018 interviews with John and Paul on the Silver Sky. It always seems to put all of the commentary on the Silver Sky into perspective. The guitar was exactly what it was intended to be. With a scarf joint. With pickup buzz. With a non-current Fender or PRS neck size or shape. It was more than as-planned, it was the intended result for things not known until they were discovered. I have a 2018, and it’s the best Strat-non-Strat I’ve ever played.

Interestingly, unusually for the industry, and usual for both PRS and JM, it was intended not to stay the same no matter how successful the 2018 became. It was intended to evolve, change, adapt... to move forward. Talk about musically inclined and not-business-as-usual-in-the-musical-instrument-business!

I understand people wanting this or that changed to make it their perfect guitar. And I believe Paul or John would give their hearty approval to your modding it to that end. They are doing what they think makes it their perfect Stratesque guitar, and that answers all the “why” or “why not” questions. For me.

Completely agree with all of this. I’d love a variation myself, but only as an addition to my Silver Sky, not as a replacement. But sadly with the current state of swamp ash, my want list for a variation is out the window.

If you have one on order, hang on to your hats, because there are several within the factory that are getting ready to ship.

Nebutantes
nebutantes.jpg

Random Silver Skys with maple Neck ( and fretboards for those that get in a bunch saying the SS has a maple neck )
I am waiting on one and need some encouragement :)
I would LOVE a Nebula with a maple neck , I didn't order because I thought they were only rosewood boards and I didn't need a third.

If you have one on order, hang on to your hats, because there are several within the factory that are getting ready to ship.

Nebutantes

:D

So now does "several" mean 4 like I see there, or does it mean closer to 60 like I saw in your photo from last week, hmmm...?

No maple board option on the Nebula, that's why I asked Rider1260 to clarify what he was looking for.

All these updates are so cool and much appreciated! Eagerly awaiting my Nebula.

Curiosity questions:
1. How many of the nebulas have gone out the door so far?
2. I know there was mention of how difficult the paint finish process for them can be especially with nitro. Have the workers encountered any issues with mass producing them?

All these updates are so cool and much appreciated! Eagerly awaiting my Nebula.

Curiosity questions:
1. How many of the nebulas have gone out the door so far?
2. I know there was mention of how difficult the paint finish process for them can be especially with nitro. Have the workers encountered any issues with mass producing them?

I have no idea how many have shipped at this point, maybe half?
They aren't really mass produced, we're only doing 500 of them. But yeah, the finish is a pain in the butt because it has to be laid on perfectly even, across the board.

Back