The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I had an 80's RG 550, wizard thin neck with a scarf joint. Guess where it broke when I cracked the headstock off? Not the scarf joint. It broke right at the nut where the least amount of wood was from the holes being drilled for the locking nut.

Strength is definitely not an issue with the joint.

It's possible there's some tonal difference. A single piece of wood is probably going to resonate differently than one made of glue and 2 pieces, but I haven't seen any scientific studies of this conducted.

I understand the logic and mechanics behind using a scarf joint. I don’t understand people obsessing over the scarf joint. The scarf joint isn’t a weakness.

That’s one of the reasons some guitar companies went away from the neck through holes on the Floyd Rose nut as it weakens the neck there on some setups and instead opted for the top mount screws like Ibanez does. For a thin Ibanez Wizard neck it makes sense, and it’s cheaper, however I’ve never seen Strat type necks that were drilled through break easily there. Kramer necks in the 80’s only broke at the headstock if you had a pointy headstock and shipped it without packing it properly or it fell, but then again all pointy headstocks are more fragile.

Edit:
Reason I talked about Kramer is because all their top guitars were equipped with an OFR in the 80’s. The only problem they had with scarf joints was they used the wrong glue and some necks shifted there and were unplayable one production year, which they replaced free of charge. I believe it was in ‘85. I doubt PRS, or any high end company, would ever have that problem nowadays.

Has anyone adding shielding to their SS pickguard? Any noticeable change in tone? i have some static crackles and pops coming from my pick guard and dryer sheets only last a day before it needs another wipe down, which doesn’t seem like a practical solution.

Has anyone adding shielding to their SS pickguard? Any noticeable change in tone? i have some static crackles and pops coming from my pick guard and dryer sheets only last a day before it needs another wipe down, which doesn’t seem like a practical solution.
I don’t know if anyone else has this experience, but washing my hands before I play reduces the buildup of static on the pick guards of my guitars.

Reactions: akh
That's pretty much in the neighborhood of what a lightly used Silver Sky will go for. And they're new enough that most are pretty lightly used. This one's kind of surprising because the maple fretboard models are so new. Probably some poor guy (or woman) who's taken a big economic hit from the virus and needed to sell some stuff.

That's pretty much in the neighborhood of what a lightly used Silver Sky will go for. And they're new enough that most are pretty lightly used. This one's kind of surprising because the maple fretboard models are so new. Probably some poor guy (or woman) who's taken a big economic hit from the virus and needed to sell some stuff.
Sure, it's in the neighborhood, but it's for a guitar that unless you are a PRS dealer with good standing you'll have to wait months for. Terrific deal.

Anyone waiting to take the plunge on midnight rose pre-order will snag that without hesitation. Shame someone had to sell that beauty, trying times...

Nebulae

Nebulae.jpg

Haha that Nebulae photo.
The guitars are definitely cool but you better be able to play your ass off if you show up with something like that at a gig or open mic.
I still thing the original tungsten is the perfect color for the Silver Sky (with rosewood board) but yea the nebula looks gorgeous.

Back