The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

That flamed neck looks great! Now I’m sad mine is sans flame. Maybe some day they’ll do a thin nitro finished body with a roasted AND flame maple neck/board...

Which PRS strings does the Silver Sky come with, the Signature or Classic set?

@Shawn@PRS do you have any insight on if the neck construction is changing as the SS evolves?

From what I understand, the 2018-2019 SS models were made with scarf joints and the neck profile has a significant shoulder area.

In 2020, I'm seeing necks without scarf joints and people referring to the neck profile as "de-shouldered"

Also, Paul mentioned at NAMM all 2020 guitars will be shot in nitro, I'm assuming that means the 2020 SS models will be shot in nitro

Last edited:
@Shawn@PRS do you have any insight on why the neck construction is changing as the SS evolves?

From what I understand, the 2018-2019 SS models were made with scarf joints and the neck profile has a significant shoulder area.

In 2020, I'm seeing necks without scarf joints and people referring to the neck profile as "de-shouldered"

Also, Paul mentioned at NAMM all 2020 guitars will be shot in nitro, I'm assuming that means the 2020 SS models will be shot in nitro

My 2020 has a scarf joint. I believe the nitro finish is for core guitars only.

and odd they wouldnt include the SS in the nitro finishing, not only because it's in the price range of core instruments, but because John's moc sand is shot in nitro

Maybe it is in nitro, I’m not sure.

The neck is labeled as JM64 on my hang tag. Go back a page or two in this thread, I posted photos of the guitar and hang tag.
Here’s a photo of the neck joint I took just now.

97005700_10157406024686089_2561293774055538688_o.jpg

and odd they wouldnt include the SS in the nitro finishing, not only because it's in the price range of core instruments, but because John's moc sand is shot in nitro
I don't think Bolt On are considered Core. They are like > 1k less.

But *Paul* did say the Nebula Finish was extra hard to do because of having to do it in Nitro. Maybe that's the only one that was supposed to be nitro?

Maybe it is in nitro, I’m not sure.

The neck is labeled as JM64 on my hang tag. Go back a page or two in this thread, I posted photos of the guitar and hang tag.
Here’s a photo of the neck joint I took just now.

97005700_10157406024686089_2561293774055538688_o.jpg

This is not a comment about those that dislike scarf joints, more of an observation.

It’s strange that most are accepting of a joint on a guitar top, three-piece back, even a splice of five timbers lengthways making up a guitar neck.

Nothing else to see here, move along please.

This is not a comment about those that dislike scarf joints, more of an observation.

It’s strange that most are accepting of a joint on a guitar top, three-piece back, even a splice of five timbers lengthways making up a guitar neck.

Nothing else to see here, move along please.

Well the three or more piece necks like Ibanez has is supposed to be for stability cause they’re so thin. Dunno, never had one as I’ve never liked thin, flat radius necks like they are known for.
I really like the neck on my ‘83 Kramer Pacer Special. The Silver Sky profile is very similar minus the rounder radius and smaller frets. This is the first PRS I’ve ever owned and I gotta say I’m very impressed. Nice neck, no glued on wings up top, the scarf joint is very well done, very clean and has that played in feel that I find most new guitars don’t have unless you go custom shop. That’s one of the reasons I’ve always looked at used guitars and then this thing was released.

I don’t understand the concern over the scarf joint. Scarf joints have been around decades. I have a 2018 Silver Sky. I never wasted a minute obsessing over the scarf joint. It’s the highest quality SSS style guitar I’ve ever played or owned. The angle of the headstock plays a big role in the tuning stability and design aesthetics.

@Shawn@PRS posted this in another thread:
These are flying changes. The 594 guitars were the first ones to make the transition to nitro, but by November 2020, all Core guitars have nitro finish and TCI pickups. January 2020 all Bolt-on guitars have nitro and TCI, February 10, 2020 all S2 models will have nitro finish, although the pickups are still making the transition to TCI.

I don’t understand the concern over the scarf joint. Scarf joints have been around decades. I have a 2018 Silver Sky. I never wasted a minute obsessing over the scarf joint. It’s the highest quality SSS style guitar I’ve ever played or owned. The angle of the headstock plays a big role in the tuning stability and design aesthetics.

I had an 80's RG 550, wizard thin neck with a scarf joint. Guess where it broke when I cracked the headstock off? Not the scarf joint. It broke right at the nut where the least amount of wood was from the holes being drilled for the locking nut.

Strength is definitely not an issue with the joint.

It's possible there's some tonal difference. A single piece of wood is probably going to resonate differently than one made of glue and 2 pieces, but I haven't seen any scientific studies of this conducted.

@Shawn@PRS posted this in another thread:
These are flying changes. The 594 guitars were the first ones to make the transition to nitro, but by November 2020, all Core guitars have nitro finish and TCI pickups. January 2020 all Bolt-on guitars have nitro and TCI, February 10, 2020 all S2 models will have nitro finish, although the pickups are still making the transition to TCI.

So it looks like my Jan 20, 2020 Silver Sky is all nitro? Nice!

Back