The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Hi there,
does anybody have the same issues with his fretboard of the SS? Bought it new and unused! I've never seen this before on a fretboard. Is it normal? I mean the grey deepenings...

wxe7394y.jpg

kvkmdyns.jpg

Hi there,
does anybody have the same issues with his fretboard of the SS? Bought it new and unused! I've never seen this before on a fretboard. Is it normal? I mean the grey deepenings...

wxe7394y.jpg

kvkmdyns.jpg

Looks like some of the cleaning compound or something that they use. Try a very soft brush or go at it carefully with a toothpick. It should come right out. I don't think it's a big deal to leave it in there unless it bugs you.

Looks like some of the cleaning compound or something that they use. Try a very soft brush or go at it carefully with a toothpick. It should come right out. I don't think it's a big deal to leave it in there unless it bugs you.
Yeah, this. It's just the cleaning compound. Not a defect, or anything like that.

thanks for the quick response and advise for cleaning!

but..., isn't it bad quality, if the fretboard has so many „cracks“? Are your fretboards looking the same? I mean, I know, that those rosewood fretboards mostly have „cracks“, but IMO they are pretty deep. Should I have to return it and order a new one? What would you do?

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE this guitar, the feel, the tone,...

thanks for the quick response and advise for cleaning!

but..., isn't it bad quality, if the fretboard has so many „cracks“? Are your fretboards looking the same? I mean, I know, that those rosewood fretboards mostly have „cracks“, but IMO they are pretty deep. Should I have to return it and order a new one? What would you do?

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE this guitar, the feel, the tone,...

Those aren't cracks they are natural pores in the wood, different woods have different sizes but they all have them, Often they are sanded over and varnished to fill them, which does not appear to be the case with this fretboard (or many others), it appears to simply be oiled or something similar. Either way, give it a month or two and your finger-grunge will fill it all up in my experience. Mine is much the same.

I have a first 500 unit and the sides of the fretboard are smooth as glass with no markings. Not sure that would bug me but if it bugs you swap it out. No fear of getting a bad sounding/playing SS.

My Silver Sky I bought new at end of February is perfect, none of the rubbing compound I’ve seen on a few in this thread and you can’t see the scarf joint like several I’ve seen in the thread either. Maybe I got lucky.

Hello everyone,

New member here, just joined and made my first PRS purchase yesterday with a 2020 tungsten Silver Sky.
Just a few questions, for the ones who’ve had the Silver Sky for a few years now has the finish on the neck darkened at all?
Also I’ve heard the white pickguard yellows a bit once the plastic film is taken off. Is that true?

Overall I’m really happy with the purchase, bought it sight unseen except photos the local store manager sent me. We have a non-essential business lockdown here in Ontario, Canada but because they sell online as well they’re offering curbside pickup. Weirdest thing I’ve ever done. Pull up to the front door, they have a table setup directly in front of it. The manager placed the debit/credit card machine on the table and walked back inside, it was on a long extension cord. Once I paid, he popped back out and placed the guitar on the table, smiled said enjoy and went back in. I had good conversation with him beforehand over email and a 15min call about the guitar before I picked it up.
It was definitely a no contact transaction haha.

Anyways, super happy with the guitar. Really like the neck profile and pickups.

Hello everyone,

New member here, just joined and made my first PRS purchase yesterday with a 2020 tungsten Silver Sky.
Just a few questions, for the ones who’ve had the Silver Sky for a few years now has the finish on the neck darkened at all?
Also I’ve heard the white pickguard yellows a bit once the plastic film is taken off. Is that true?

Overall I’m really happy with the purchase, bought it sight unseen except photos the local store manager sent me. We have a non-essential business lockdown here in Ontario, Canada but because they sell online as well they’re offering curbside pickup. Weirdest thing I’ve ever done. Pull up to the front door, they have a table setup directly in front of it. The manager placed the debit/credit card machine on the table and walked back inside, it was on a long extension cord. Once I paid, he popped back out and placed the guitar on the table, smiled said enjoy and went back in. I had good conversation with him beforehand over email and a 15min call about the guitar before I picked it up.
It was definitely a no contact transaction haha.

Anyways, super happy with the guitar. Really like the neck profile and pickups.

Congrats, and we want pics!!

Also wanted to ask, what material is the truss rod cover made of? I’m guessing plastic?

Thought I'd share a few pictures of the Midnight Rose I came across on Instagram as it is my favorite color of the Silver Sky. Waiting on my Nebula to come in a month or two but may have to order a Midnight Rose to hold me over...

*Note: The flamey neck one at Brian's is already sold (I tried calling to buy yesterday)

QuhEyqf.jpg
h6IGCeX.jpg
yyn50VA.jpg
UFMGzey.jpg
p6cM7oF.jpg
Tm9uipt.jpg

Last edited:
Back