The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Like a friggin surgical scalpel...except I'm allowed to play with it...unlike the scalpel.o_O

2. North

North New Member

Oh, i'm sorry to hear that because i may be misunderstood. I'll enjoy for sure and looking forward to play it. Besides, if i cared rusty saddle so much i wouldnt bother to buy, it is just a part that replaceable. It was my curious, asking about tech stuff; on the other hand i live in Turkey and it is hard to get replacements so i wonder if i could get one from prs when i need it.

#2522 North, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  3. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure the parts will be available eventually, but Paul makes the call as to when he wants to sell accessories. For example, we waited almost 10 years before he would allow us to sell the 57/08 pickups.

4. North

North New Member

I see your point but this is different issue, for example i bought a prs 594 and something is broken or wrong, switch doesnt work the way it should be or etc, prs should send the part which is broken free. I dont demand the part for no reason :) if i have a problem, i'll contact with customer service. We'll see!

5. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

You are correct, if a part was broken we would send a free replacement. We don't consider this plating style to be "broken". Paul and John specifically chose electroless plating for tonal reasons and believe the tone they offer outweighs the potential for surface rust if the saddles aren't wiped down. BTW - this is the same plating that was used on vintage Strats.

JonW, ScottR and Bill SAS 513 like this.
  6. Revelation

Revelation New Member

I really like the Sky a lot but given the choice between owning a new Fender Professional Stratocaster and the Sky, I would pick the Stratocaster. With that being said, I would still be very interested in also getting a Sky as well.

Now as I already have a Fender Stratocaster I am interested in thr Sky but not before I purchase a 594.

7. Hudman316

Hudman316 New Member

I o
    I owned a 2017 Fender Professional Stratocaster. I was not a fan of the V-Mod pickups or the modern tremolo. I sold it.

I like my American Special Stratocaster more than the Professional.

With that said, the Silver Sky has build quality more on par with a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster at a more reasonable price. The SS pickups are outstanding. It’s a great guitar.

8. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

Each to their own...

The Silver Sky though is more comparable to a Fender Custom Shop but also with the tone of a 63/64 strat. If you can find a guitar that sounds as good as a 63/64 strat with the build quality of a PRS for the price of a Silver Sky then congratulations. I know not everyone likes the thought of playing on a 7.25" radius - at least until they have tried it. Its period correct though and it seems, so are the saddles.

The cost of a 63/64 strat, plus the rarity and fact that they were not all 'great', is a big reason that Mayer collaborated with PRS to build the Silver Sky. No longer does he have to go hunting for another vintage strat that has the feel, the sound, the quality etc and have to pay a fortune for something that may not be in the best condition, not sound just right etc, he can walk into any PRS dealer and take a Silver Sky off the wall that feels, sounds and plays perfectly.

Still people just want to see 'Fender' on the headstock regardless - just like some will want to see Gibson on a Les Paul type regardless - even paying more for that than something that may actually be better. As I said at the start, Each to their own...

JonW and Andy80 like this.
  9. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

I Purchased and sold a few strats prior to getting my Silver sky. They were all custom shop..

- 69 RI (big headstock)
    - 57 RI to spec
    - 63/64 NAMM (was defective and had to send it back)
    - Suhr Classic S

I'm sure there's one I forgot too. The silver sky, for me, killed all of them. Better neck, better fret work, even the 57 I got which had a 7.25 radius was harder to play than the SS. The Suhr was nice but I hate stainless steel frets.

So I would 100% agree that the SS is comparable to the 63/64 (since that's what it's based on), except it's built exceptionally well. I've had zero issues with the radius on this guitar.

JonW, Mozzi and veinbuster like this.
  10. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

Here's a pic of me with the 63/64 NAMM strat. I frigging miss this guitar, because the finish was BEAUTIFUL (seafoam green) with a medium relic job which made the neck really nice. Too bad Fender custom shop doesn't seem to think they should use a Plek machine. That being said, my silver sky more than makes up for it.

[​IMG]

Tucson Thump, g.wizz, ScottR and 4 others like this.
  11. North

North New Member

yes. indeed sir. i didnt mean that plating is bad, then it rusted, what i mean is this is fault of store because they should keep it clean after someone try out.

12. Hudman316

Hudman316 New Member

Make the store address the issue.

Tucson Thump and North like this.
  13. Rixstar

Rixstar New Member

Would do questionable things to afford this guitar :D even more so if it came with a roasted maple neck :cool:

ScottR and dmatthews like this.
  14. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

So I picked up the SS today and noticed that the washer came off from the input jack. Then when I tried to put it back on, noticed the input jack is recessed INTO the guitar. I'm going to go ahead and say that's not a good thing.

Is this warranty-able? Bueller?

15. Fro

Fro New Member

It’s an easy fix if you can find the nut.

16. Hudman316

Hudman316 New Member

Take it back to the store and exchange it.

17. Revelation

Revelation New Member

To me PRS guitars are a little more towards Gibson than Fender while Tom Anderson guitars are a little more Fender than Gibson. I would be curious how the Tom Anderson Strat guitar compares to the Sky.

With that being said, I was blown away with the two Sky models I played. I have to admit the headstock on a Strat type guitar I prefer the Fender traditional look over the PRS headstock. But that would not stop me from buying a Sky in black, thank you.

I wonder if they would ever put a maple neck on the Sky?

18. Revelation

Revelation New Member

Guitar.com gave a insightful description on the Sky pickups.

"The Silver Sky’s neck dimensions are reminiscent of a pre-CBS Strat but its 635JM single-coil pickups have been voiced to eliminate some of the very high trebles that Mayer usually dials out of his vintage Fenders."

I have to admit the back pickup on my Fender Strat has too much high end. However in toggle switch 2, it's magic with my Fender Twin amp. Do you find the Sky to lack some of the brightness in toggle switch 2 or 4 and that it offers a slightly darker sound that may be perfect for certain music?

19. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 New Member

Great review!
    Funny that you make the comparison to the Clapton strat in regards to the vintage frets. I too have a Clapton and they feel very similar when it comes to the frets. Love both my SS and "Blackie" , but they are different beasts. Glad I have both.
    I also bought a Horizon for my color of choice. Very cool color, and my only RED guitar. I just received mine about 5 days ago, No static issues or cracked switch tip. Hoping to avoid those issues. Mine was built 4/19/19. Maybe they corrected those issues. I hope so....

Thanks again for the detailed review!

Appreciate it.

20. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 New Member

just regular household oil? a small amount I imagine.