The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

To each his own & I'm glad you guys have found an instrument you connect with, but $2200 US for a bolt on production guitar?

What am I missing?

To each his own & I'm glad you guys have found an instrument you connect with, but $2200 US for a bolt on production guitar?

What am I missing?
You are missing:

An insanely comfy neck
Awesome SSS tone without ice picky crap
Excellent linear controls
5 completely usable switch settings
Wonderful locking tuners
Overall craftsmanship that is second to none.

If you haven't tried it, you deserve to.

You are missing:

An insanely comfy neck
Awesome SSS tone without ice picky crap
Excellent linear controls
5 completely usable switch settings
Wonderful locking tuners
Overall craftsmanship that is second to none.

If you haven't tried it, you deserve to.

On another note an Eric Johnson Strat is 2K and a Jeff Beck Strat is between 1700 and 4.5 K , and Custom Shops are pushing 4K
Most Dealers deal on the MSRP price.
The Silver Sky is a really nice guitar and well worth the $$$ to me.
It is one of the best guitars of this style I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them since 1972, I would put my SS against any Custom shop or Master Built.

On another note an Eric Johnson Strat is 2K and a Jeff Beck Strat is between 1700 and 4.5 K , and Custom Shops are pushing 4K
It is one of the best guitars of this style I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them since 1972, I would put my SS against any Custom shop or Master Built.
I've played a few nice American made strats, but never owned any. Your statement carries a lot of weight, and says a lot!

Also, to buy a 63/64 Strat, you would need to spend a LOT more - the Silver Sky offers the same tones for just $2200. In numerous A/B tests, the Silver Sky is indistinguishable - and if anything, offers 5 very useable positions too.

This was the basic design Parameter - to build a PRS S-type guitar that can match a 63/64 Strap tonally as well as reproduce that guitar consistently so that anyone, particularly John Mayer - can walk into any music store and pick up a Silver Sky off the shelf and have the exact same sounding and performing guitar as his guitars at home. That's a LOT more difficult and much more expensive to do if you want to find 63/64 strat that sounds as well as plays like other 63/64 strats!!!

I guess if I think of it as a signature model it makes sense.

I saw a guy, at a local event, hand back a real deal '57 Strat for the SS last week because they were indistinguishable. BTW, the '57 was $28k

I saw a guy, at a local event, hand back a real deal '57 Strat for the SS last week because they were indistinguishable. BTW, the '57 was $28k

I would be a LOT happier playing a Silver Sky, taking it on tour etc than a 'genuine' 57 (or even a 63/4) strat. If I owned a vintage instrument like that, I would have it stuffed somewhere exceptionally safe and secure, never taking it out of its case or letting anyone know I was in possession of such an instrument. It would be kept in the perfect environment so that it does not warp, crack etc and it would be my 'retirement' fund guitar.

I don't necessarily think 'vintage' instruments are better instruments, just old 'antiques' which is why the cost is high. I certainly wouldn't look to buy a vintage instrument as a 'tool' to make music with, it would be only for its market value - like buying a 'vintage' car and keeping it in a garage in the hope that one day, its worth a LOT more than it cost to acquire it. Maybe, like a vintage car owner who takes his car out for special occasions, I would take a vintage car out and give it a little gentle playing and/or check its still in the condition it was in the last time it was checked.

A Silver Sky could easily be the instrument that offers that old tone that I would be looking for and as such, I wouldn't need to play a real vintage Strat. If it came down to buying one or the other, the decision wouldn't be based on the tone, it would be based on whether I want an 'instrument' to be played or whether I wanted an 'investment' to make more money in the future.

I would be a LOT happier playing a Silver Sky, taking it on tour etc than a 'genuine' 57 (or even a 63/4) strat. If I owned a vintage instrument like that, I would have it stuffed somewhere exceptionally safe and secure, never taking it out of its case or letting anyone know I was in possession of such an instrument. It would be kept in the perfect environment so that it does not warp, crack etc and it would be my 'retirement' fund guitar.

I don't necessarily think 'vintage' instruments are better instruments, just old 'antiques' which is why the cost is high. I certainly wouldn't look to buy a vintage instrument as a 'tool' to make music with, it would be only for its market value - like buying a 'vintage' car and keeping it in a garage in the hope that one day, its worth a LOT more than it cost to acquire it. Maybe, like a vintage car owner who takes his car out for special occasions, I would take a vintage car out and give it a little gentle playing and/or check its still in the condition it was in the last time it was checked.

A Silver Sky could easily be the instrument that offers that old tone that I would be looking for and as such, I wouldn't need to play a real vintage Strat. If it came down to buying one or the other, the decision wouldn't be based on the tone, it would be based on whether I want an 'instrument' to be played or whether I wanted an 'investment' to make more money in the future.
I respect that viewpoint, but I would play it. I might not broadcast that I had it, but I wouldn’t hide it. I have a fundamental belief that I am wasting my money if I buy something for it’s possible future value. If I am not going to get enough joy out of it just by owning it, I walk away.

Back