The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Once again - please pardon me if this has already been covered!

a quick back-tale: I have (2) SS's. Modded one of them with a DiMarzio Chopper in the bridge; and (2) 'The Cruiser' pickups in the middle/neck position. My second SS is completely stock. Really dig both. I've even installed a Vega-Trem, but went back to the stock tremolo. Which leads me to my question:

Even though I really enjoy both guitars...neither of mine are stable when it comes to using the tremolo...and since that's the case, I don't even bother using the arm, etc.

Do any of you have this opportunity and if so - have you found a fix? I know players who have a stock Squire and are able to use their trem without tuning instability. So I am betting with the right corrections, I can utilize mine as well.

Just looking for some input / direction, please. Thanks so much!!

-Scott

Once again - please pardon me if this has already been covered!

a quick back-tale: I have (2) SS's. Modded one of them with a DiMarzio Chopper in the bridge; and (2) 'The Cruiser' pickups in the middle/neck position. My second SS is completely stock. Really dig both. I've even installed a Vega-Trem, but went back to the stock tremolo. Which leads me to my question:

Even though I really enjoy both guitars...neither of mine are stable when it comes to using the tremolo...and since that's the case, I don't even bother using the arm, etc.

Do any of you have this opportunity and if so - have you found a fix? I know players who have a stock Squire and are able to use their trem without tuning instability. So I am betting with the right corrections, I can utilize mine as well.

Just looking for some input / direction, please. Thanks so much!!

-Scott
Have you checked out the nut? Maybe it is worn down or not lubricated enough.

Has anyone here tried removing a trem spring from the block on your Silver Sky? I was trying to remove a spring because I put a .009 gauge set of strings on this time and I just wanted to loosen the tension on the bridge. My goodness, I absolutely couldn’t get the spring to come out and just gave up trying. I ended up backing out the claw screws to relieve tension instead but I’m not sure how long those screws are and I don’t want to back them out too far. I’d rather just remove a spring. I’ve never come across this before and been playing strats and other trem equipped guitars for 25 years now. I would imagine that plenty of guys have really scratched up their trem blocks and maybe even damaged their guitars trying to get one of these springs out. The damn things just won’t budge out of that block. WTF???

Have you checked out the nut? Maybe it is worn down or not lubricated enough.
I came across some lubricant by accident one day and thought I’d get some to try on my guitar and what a difference it made. I just put a tiny little dab of it in the string slots in the nut and can now use the bar as much as I want and the thing just stays in tune. It’s called, “Carbon Honey” and comes in a little 15 ml bottle. It’s got graphene oxide in it so I try really hard not to get it on my skin. I tell you what, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done as far as a trem equipped guitar goes for tuning stability.

Did you try using some needle nose pliers? That's what I use for PRS springs to get them out of the block. They do really make those holes snug. Also, the hooks are a bit angled, so it also helps to unhook the spring from the claw first.

Thankfully PRS is not changing the pickups or other things on the Silver Sky right now. I don't think it's good to make changes to a guitar so often. The one question I have is are the 2024 Silver Sky's getting the new offical PRS tuning pegs or keeping the ones they have had for a while?

The portion of spring inserted in the block is kinked (bent) before insertion to secure it in place. The spring can be successfully removed with pliers by rotating the spring back and forth in the block while pulling away from the block.

Reinstalling a spring requires quite a bit of force to get the kinked part deep into the block.

I have to admit I don't miss my 1982 Fender Stratocaster. I was not aware how the CBS Stratocaster's compared to the models from the 60's when I purchased it. Compares to my Fender , the Silver Sky pickups so better, it's easier to bend the strings, no ice pick on the back pickup and having a tone control that works on the back pickup.

To be fair your comparing guitars designed 40 years apart.
One could easily mod an older Strat to fix what you don’t don’t like. But it’s sure easier to buy a new SS instead
Nobody wants a 3 way switch on a strat like the vintage 50’s and 60’s came with. And a tone control is practically deemed a must for a single coil bridge.

Due to good marketing with tons of videos on the Silver Sky, I did not consider changing the pickups. Besides the tone difference, the back block on the neck, frets and the difficulty bending the strings vs the Silver Sky made me go with the change.

If I swapped out the pickups with Seymour Duncan and put the bridge against the body of the guitar to reduce the string resistance would have been a better idea. But the marketing by PRS worked on getting them another sale. I'm glad I did what I did as you always take a chance on how will your guitar sound with new pickups vs the sample they provide on line.

Last edited:
Back