The "Official" SE Mark Holcomb Love Thread

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Ok, because I'm not original enough to come up with a cool title on my own, I plagiarized MA Pete's from the 594 Love Thread.

So, here's a spot for all of us new SE Holcomb owners to post some pics of our new love, as well as to provide thoughts on the particular specs of this beast, and what boxes it checks for us. This also should be a resource for people that are curious about this model to come and get their questions answered so they can make an informed purchase. Have at it gang!

Here's a pic of mine. I'll be back later to post some actual thoughts on this beast!

20160712_144849_zpsgq0fl9ga.jpg

Cool! A new thread about the SE Holcomb. What a concept! :)

I like the colors. Different, not my favorite, but nice. Definitely interested in your thoughts on the guitar itself though. Seems to have a lot to offer

Cool! A new thread about the SE Holcomb. What a concept! :)

I like the colors. Different, not my favorite, but nice. Definitely interested in your thoughts on the guitar itself though. Seems to have a lot to offer

Sorry to crowd the forum...
I actually asked him to start a thread like this so that some of us on the fence could get an idea about some of the things on this guitar not common to PRS. Specifically with regard to the board radius and bridge.

Kevin

The bridge is awesome. Very smooth, fits perfectly under my hand when muting. (One of my biggest gripes with 'vintage-style' trems: poky screws)

I've found the radius and chunky frets to be an easy transition, but bear in mind I'm a low-chops player. The crazy thing about it is that I'm so used to looking down at rounder necks that it seems almost concave...

Other than that, standard SE stuff like tight volume pot vs. loose tone pot.

The Alpha and Omega pickups sound INCREDIBLE! The local shop has one and we put it through everything from an Archon to a BluesCube and they KILL! They are very loud and clear without being sterile even in single coil mode. What was shocking was how sweet they sound through tweed style amps playing the blues!

Love the idea of this thread!
After having the guitar for about a week, I can honestly say it's the best SE ever made(or at least the best I've ever owned) For $900, I don't think there's a better guitar at that price range. The ebony board feels fantastic, and has a more percussive sound, and pair that with the scale length...it really accentuates the clarity for down tuned aggressive tones. The pickups are wonderful, and the satin neck has made me realize I need to do that to all my other guitars! Bridge is smooth and comfortable, finish is great and it came setup very nicely.
Here are a few more pics of my Holcomb.... Anyone who's on the fence, try one. I guarantee even if it's not your cup of tea, you will appreciate what PRS & Mr. Holcomb came up with.
image_zpsrgint6a4.jpeg

In the sun
image_zpskoqsltbb.jpeg

image_zpswi0z7z84.jpeg

image_zpsrgint6a4.jpeg

image_zpsm0n7kyw3.jpeg

Ok, so I spent an hour, or so, playing the Holcomb yesterday. Admittedly, I am not a drop/down-tuned kinda guy. I'll go there, but not often. This guitar does that in spades, and everything else wonderfully. I really like almost everything about it. The pickups are very percussive and have great clarity. Punch ya in the gut with a load of gain, and lull ya to sleep with pristine cleans. It really covers a lot of ground. There is noticeable volume drop when split though. Nothing you can't work around, but it's apparent.

I actually recorded a bunch of stuff playing through the different pick up combos. But, being the doofus that I am, I was sitting about a foot away from the cell phone. Too much of me hitting the strings to post. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

As for the 25.5" scale, it's not my favorite, but it's not that big of a change. I can see someone that never goes there having an issue. With time, that can be a non-issue. I LOVE the black satin neck and ebony board. It feels smooth and yummy! I will say that the specs say that the frets are "Standard PRS Fret Wire", but they seem a little on the big side to me. Don't know why, but that's just my opinion. YMMV. The ebony board is looks slick, and feels the same way. Big fan of ebony boards.

I also really like the string through bridge. I find it comfortable for my picking hand position with no sharp edges. Very smooth.

The 20" radius is obviously built for the shredder. It's a little more challenging for chords if you're coming from a 10" or smaller radius, and haven't spent much time with something flatter. You'll feel it in your forearm, that's for sure. Again, if you've spent time jumping back and forth from a small radius to a bigger one, you'll be ok. Otherwise, it may take some getting used to.

My only qualm would be the wide thin neck. It feels really chunky with the 20" radius. At least it does to me. Personally, I would prefer something with a little less neck depth, or a different shape profile (C, D, soft V, V, etc). But that's just my personal preference. To compare; I have a JPX that has the same width measurements as the Holcomb, but the depth is 1/16" less. That feels better in my hand with a flatter radius. There also is a difference in profile. YMMV.

All things considered, this is a killer axe. What you get for the money is beyond ridiculous. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great instrument.

Thank you for the details!

I was thinking that chording would be a bit of a challenge with the larger radius. I imagine bending should be crazy fun, though, no?

I was a bit concerned about the neck being too thin. I am more of a wide/fat and pattern fan. I suppose the larger fretboard radius may compensate.

Very interesting. Thanks so much!
Kevin

The crazy thing about it is that I'm so used to looking down at rounder necks that it seems almost concave...

I'm glad someone else has said this, because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! It really does look odd (if you're not used to it).

I can honestly say it's the best SE ever made

I'll agree with this. The specs on this model push it above and beyond anything else in the SE line.

the wide thin neck. It feels really chunky with the 20" radius

This interested me, and for some reason, I never connected the dots between the radius and the neck carve. I have a SE Tremonti with a wide-thin neck, and the SE Holcomb is definitely chunkier. It feels more like my Custom 24 with the "regular" carve (or whatever they call it). I dig it for sure, though.

I've been playing mine almost every day, and I'm still really impressed by it. PRS and Mark Holcomb should be proud of it!

Thank you for the details!

I was thinking that chording would be a bit of a challenge with the larger radius. I imagine bending should be crazy fun, though, no?

I was a bit concerned about the neck being too thin. I am more of a wide/fat and pattern fan. I suppose the larger fretboard radius may compensate.

Very interesting. Thanks so much!
Kevin

You're welcome!

Mine showed up yesterday. Keeping it in the office till I can sneak it in the house tomorrow. The neck is awesome. Definitely different, however, easy to adjust to

Congrats! I can relate to the office story too. I work from home and pay for Fed Ex Priority on things I don't want coming to the door when the Mrs is home.

Got to plug it in to my Mesa Mark V:25 last night. This thing is mean sounding. great articulation on every note, clean and dirty. The neck is different but not in a bad way. gonna play it some more today. I might drop the tuning down to A# for some Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle songs.

I was gonna pull the trigger on the PRS Holcomb in matte black that Wild West had last October but someone beat me to the punch. Always regretted not doing that, but I'm glad I grabbed one of these.

They sound great and I was really happy to hear that Mark was getting a more affordable/permanent sig model. He is a friend of mine and we both see eye to eye on most specs so this is really good.

We did a video with one here:

Back