The "Official" PRS Custom 24 love thread!!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by BrianC, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

Agreed....something about the tighter-grained quilt (I'm usually drawn to flame over quilt, but this one is perfect) with Vintage Yellow just looks so elegant, yet ballsy. Also, this would be my ideal Custom 24 setup, with the Vol/Tone/3-way toggle controls...super functional for what I do.

Absolutely love this guitar.

2. pjdude

pjdude New Member

My '91 - one owner. This one's getting buried with me.

[​IMG]

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It’s weird - I almost didn’t buy the guitar because of the quilt. I’m more of a flame maple guy, too. I was going to get a Core Artist in the same color with a flame top.

But I was curious as to which one had a tone I preferred, so I asked Jack Gretz to compare the two in a clip. He had his associate play both through a PRS amp for me, and in comparison, the tone of this particular PS literally haunted me for two days. It was my ideal of a CU24 tone, and spoke to me more than the other one.

After a lot of mental gymnastics, I decided to pull the trigger. I’m really happy with it, and even though it’s a quilt, that feeling has lasted four years, which is really unusual for me.

4. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

After starting with a CU22 instead of a CU24, it took me 13 years to come around. I bought this a few hours after Mrs bought a Westie.
    [​IMG]

Andy80, BrianC, grausch and 5 others like this.
  5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I keep seeing things I had no idea you had. I'm gonna need to make a road trip, at some point, to check out the collection.

6. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Spare room is ready.

sergiodeblanc, bodia and Black Plaid like this.
  7. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

8. alantig

alantig SSBMA

I've noticed that tree in several of your pictures, and I have to know - are you trying to motivate it by showing it what it could be some day?

9. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

My Custom 24(mine is a 30th anniversary wood library with a birdseye maple neck and African blackwood fretboard) - and I agree with Les, it's the best "rock guitar":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my Custom 24 piezo (just a plain old non-10 top) - Just about as versatile as a guitar can get:

[​IMG]

I've really got to take some new pictures one of these days.

Andy80, KrisCHS, Black Plaid and 3 others like this.
  10. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

Doing that looks better than leaning them up against the hot tub. If I could grow Mahogany, Maple and Rosewood trees in my yard, I'd do it. I've also considered planting a Redwood tree back there too.

11. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

My 1992 Custom Quilt 10 Top:

[​IMG]

KrisCHS, Black Plaid, grausch and 3 others like this.
  12. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

I had hoped for a thicker back CU 24 to get a fatter tone. The P24 then came out and has a thicker McCarty body. To be honest the tone is NO fatter than my other Customs.

Maybe you need to go all the way to single cut thickness to make a real difference???

I also had wondered about a thicker neck (WF) and what that would do. I say a video with Peter Frampton and his magical LP that there has been so much talk about. He said the reason he fell in love with it was that the neck was MUCH smaller and fit his hand. Much different than the baseball bat necks of the day. His tone kills, and I love the pattern regular so no need to worry about neck shapes any more....

bodia likes this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Really liked the maple neck that I had on my former Cu24. Just love that feel. And, that second one may not be a 10, but really dig that top!

14. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

May I post my Cu24? It's not a Core (or better), it's an S2. It's the best playing and best sounding guitar I have.

It has probably the homeliest top I've ever seen on a PRS. But it is mine. :)

[​IMG]

15. Emtcustom24

Emtcustom24 New Member

Got mine new in 2014, never truly bonded with it till recently, I have played it with an Orange Rockerverb and a evh 5150iii and just couldn’t fully get along with it , almost sold it till....... my wife got me an axe fx 3. Now me and that guitar are inseparable!!!! I don’t know what it is about the combination of the 2 but it just works for me and playing has never been more fun. I actually just finished up about an hour of practice with the two of them. I absolutely love my custom 24.

16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 New Member

I'd been on the lookout for a great looking older Custom 24 for a killer price for many years.

I finally hit pay dirt in February of this year, when I happened upon my '95 Purple Custom 24 10-Top in a pawnshop.

This guitar is going to be a lifer in my collection for sure.

Some people hate the VB & HFS pickups in these guitars,but I think with the right amp and EQ they work.

To me there's nothing like the singing sustaining lead tone of an HFS pickup for a heavy rock song.

My '95 PRS Purple Custom 24 10-Top

[​IMG]

Alnus Rubra, bodia, grausch and 6 others like this.
  17. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

My beloved 25th Anniversary Custom. This was the third Custom 24 that I owned, and the guitar that made me fall madly in love with Paul Reed Smith guitars... The neck binding and early 57/08s are what makes it a little different, but in truth it's just one of those exceptional examples we are always looking for... It's been played incessantly since new, gigged quite heavily, and is covered in small scratches and dings and scars to prove it. If I had to choose just one guitar today, this would make the short list; oh hell, sentiment assures it'd be the one, or I'd regret it the rest of my life... Truly a wonderful guitar.

[​IMG]