The "Official" PRS Custom 24 love thread!!

BrianC

more toys than talent
Why not??!!

The Custom 24 is the bedrock of the PRS line. It is the reason PRS exists today!

Let's talk about this model as well as the P24 - why you love them, how it works for you, what changes you have made to yours etc.

I have 3 24 fret models, 2 customs and 1 P24. I have owned many other core models but this is the one that speaks to me. I like the ability to have upper fret access without have to change my hand position. The scale length is another key issue, 24.5 is too tight in the upper frets and 25.5 is too wide at the 5th fret area. (though a CU 24 in 594 would be very interesting!!)

I get all the tones I need out of this model as I find the right neck pup and tone adjustment compensate for any compromise in pup placement.

I still like the three way switch better than a 5 way rotary or blade - less fumbling during live playing.

The only changes I make to mine are a slight bend to the trem arm using a vise to raise it off the body more. I also change the pups a bit. One has an Aldrich bridge and 5708 neck, one with 5708's in both spots and one with Aldrich pups in both spots.

I always stretch the strings a number of times before playing, lube the nut now and then and try to tune bringing the string UP to pitch. I think these moves help with tuning stability.

Thanks to Rider here I also do my own set ups with frequent truss rod adjustments as needed to get the perfect playing feel for me.

What's your story????

The Custom 24 for me was the guitar to aspire to when I started playing back in the late 80's. Before I had heard of PRS, I wanted a Wine Red Burst Gibson Les Paul Custom as the Les Paul was the guitar that my favourite artists played that inspired me to want to learn to play and therefore it made sense that my guitar to aspire to would be a Gibson.

However, when I started to look for a guitar, U saw this stunning red guitar with bird inlays and I thought it was the most stunning instrument I had seem. The curves and the carve had me hooked and replaced the Gibson as my guitar to aspire to. Life, marriage and kids stopped my progress, stopped me playing in a band and even had to sell my first electric and amp but I still yearned for a PRS Custom 24.

Now my kids are adults and I am divorced, I can spend my money on what I want and so now have my Custom 24!

1xL88Ns.jpg

Mine is completely stock, the 2018 spec, and Its my guitar to go to for more modern sounds thanks to the 85/15's. I don't have anything else in my collection that is like my Custom 24, not just because all my other guitars are 22 frets, but because of the position of the neck HB in relation to the bridge and the sounds that offers. Its also my only Pattern Thin neck - not that it really affects me or my playing or at least not that I notice.

It may of taken me ~30yrs but I have my Custom 24 and in the 'best' colour too. I love the Chevron style Book matched top this has. Aesthetically, this is possibly my favourite top (although my PRS Special has a fantastic top that makes picking a favourite quite difficult). I have no intention of changing anything with my Cu24 and would add the Cu24-08 or P24 although they are not a priority right now.

For me, the Custom 24 is the definitive PRS. I think every PRS player should have a Cu24!

I agree 100% mine is vintage yellow , wide thin neck which I love , same on my tremonti .
everyone loves the CU-24

The Custom 24 is the guitar I owned for the longest by far, I played it for 13 years and then stupidly got rid of it. Either my ears started to change over that time, or the pickups started to die down. They were HFS and vintage bass. I replaced them with Lollars, high wind and low wind. I hated the pickups. Just was not the sound I wanted to get out of it. Because the mod was so expensive I offed the guitar and still regret doing that.

I will be ordering another one within the next few months, hopefully. I wish I could find that guitar. They don't do black cherry finishes anymore :(

The Custom 24 is the guitar I owned for the longest by far, I played it for 13 years and then stupidly got rid of it. Either my ears started to change over that time, or the pickups started to die down. They were HFS and vintage bass. I replaced them with Lollars, high wind and low wind. I hated the pickups. Just was not the sound I wanted to get out of it. Because the mod was so expensive I offed the guitar and still regret doing that.

I will be ordering another one within the next few months, hopefully. I wish I could find that guitar. They don't do black cherry finishes anymore :(

Mine was the 3rd PRS despite it being a dream guitar. I went for the 594 first because that was the closest guitar to any other I had owned so it made sense to start with something familiar. My 509 came next as it was at the other end of the tonal spectrum for me - a Super-Strat to my Les Paul type. After that, I went for the guitar in the middle - the Custom 24. They say don't meet your heroes and as I had lusted after a Cu24 for ~30yrs, the anticipation and expectation was high. Despite that, it didn't fall short and, if anything, was better than I expected. Part of that could be that the guitar looked even better than the Photo's so got off to a very positive start before I picked it up.

Whilst they may not do Black Cherry (a colour scheme I too love), they do a Fire Red Burst - as mine is - that I think is just as stunning....

The Custom 24 was the perceived pinnacle of guitar ownership for me as I was learning guitar from a young age. About the time I really started nerding out over the specs of PRS, they came out with the factory tours on YouTube and then it was their 25th anniversary. Angry Larry was released as a color and I had to have one so 4 years later I had some money and tracked down what would've been the equivalent PS build I had in my head.

Custom 24 in Angry Larry Quilt 10 top (this one after the top was sanded wasn't a 10 top anymore though)

Rosewood Neck with regular carve

5-way blade switch with the old wiring combinations (I prefer the rotary for looks but my hands sweat a lot so the blade functions better)

Mini tuning keys (the only thing I'd change is here to mini ebony buttons if they exist).

This is my usual studio guitar for demos and I'll play it live because it does just about everything, even country with the right setup.

I am still on my CU24 quest, ( tho I believe for me a Standard 24 might be what I need )

My First was a really nice VY CU24 great sounding guitar, the smaller neck seems to keep pushing me toward my CU22 with the WF or Pattern necks

IMG_2613 by

#2 ) This one might be the best sounding ( and LOOKING ) CU24 I have ever played, was Brian Cs guitar I bought it then sold it back once again in the end it was the smaller neck that kept me for giving it the love it deserves

IMG_3094 by

This is my lone 24 fret guitar Brushstroke 24 ( 24 Fret Pauls guitar with a trem ) Not a CU24 but still a nice guitar

IMG_3091 by

BOpWtbr.jpg

This is the closest I’ve come to CU24 love, I generally prefer the old CEs and Standards.

But I do adore this guitar, even though its Korina body, ebony fretboard, and maple neck make it less of a Custom 24... and it’s an SE... maybe I should’ve stayed outta this thread...

I do still want a VY CU24 though, even if it’s just to look at.

I stated it may be interesting to see a 594 Custom 24 - what would you like to see added to the line???

That’d be rad, in a Santana/West St. kind of way.

My first PRS in ‘91 was a CU24 (then called a ‘Custom’).

It was great and got me more than hooked on PRS. My current CU24 is one of the 30th PS run, and I have to say that it’s a phenomenal guitar in every way, and might be my best ‘rock’ guitar.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Still one of the best looking guitars I’ve ever seen in all my years on the forums.

2012 current spec lefty special order in 10+ Solana quilt, hybrid HW
solanatop.jpg

I also have a 2011 special run Washington Music Center "wood library" violin amber artist with South American Mahogany Backs, Private Stock Grade East Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, “J-Bird” Inlays in Abalone, Phase II Locking Tuners, Uncovered 59/09 Pickups, 5-Way Rotary switch electronics before the switch to blade... no pic right now sorry.

Happy to have gotten these limited lefties when one could only dream, hoe to find scare used.

OK you can go home now.
BOpWtbr.jpg

This is the closest I’ve come to CU24 love, I generally prefer the old CEs and Standards.

But I do adore this guitar, even though its Korina body, ebony fretboard, and maple neck make it less of a Custom 24... and it’s an SE... maybe I should’ve stayed outta this thread...

I do still want a VY CU24 though, even if it’s just to look at.

My first PRS in ‘91 was a CU24 (then called a ‘Custom’).

It was great and got me more than hooked on PRS. My current CU24 is one of the 30th PS run, and I have to say that it’s a phenomenal guitar in every way, and might be my best ‘rock’ guitar.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Never tire of seeing this one!

Back