The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

Just from handling some R9 models, they seem to vary a bit depending on the particular run.

Not sure about the actual specs of each run, though, as I've never looked into it that deeply, so this is just going by feel.

Yes, R9 neck specs vary a lot. Depends on year for production R9's, and even within a designed spec for a year they vary a lot. About 4 years ago they reduced the size of the R9 neck, giving it narrower shoulders, similar to what PRS did with going from WF to Pattern, same nut width but narrower shoulders and thus a slightly smaller circumference. And then of course for these signature run R9's they very precisely measure the actual 59 being honored and match those specs, which I believe is the case for my Paul K and Joe B.

Both of my R9 necks are fairly significantly bigger than the Pattern Necks on my 2 MSC's. But not horribly so. I don't mind them. (What I feel the most is the larger fretboard radius, the board feels more "flat", and the smaller frets.)

Since we are on a PRS Forum here, I will say that I love the PRS Pattern neck combined with the smaller fretboard radius and the Jumbo frets. These Jumbos on the MSCs are squared off on the top to simulate some wear, and they feel great!

That is one of the things I love about the PRS Guitars, while of course they will vary from Guitar to Guitar, they are still MUCH more consistent than Gibson's. It gives me great comfort that when I spec a PRS Private Stock, I know I can count on loving the neck when it comes in. Buy an R9 sight unseen and you are rolling the dice re what you get for a neck. (A lot of dealers, like Mark's Guitar Loft, post very precise measurements of the necks for that reason.)

BTW I think my next PS will have a WF neck versus Pattern, just to have one of those in the mix again, those are my favorite two PRS neck Carves.

Shhhh! Don't let Gibson hear you sat that! :D

imgresize.php

Pretty cool, similar finish to Mick's Les Paul, makes you do a double-take to figure out what Howard is playing.

Found this pic of Howard and his MSC, with Mick Ralphs of Bad Co!

imgresize.php

Pretty cool, similar finish to Mick's Les Paul, makes you do a double-take to figure out what Howard is playing.

Looks good on you, Howard!!

Howard's looks like mine in every way.

That's the first, and probably the only, time I'll ever be able to say that. :)

Purchased 3/29/14 from Jack Gretz. McCarty Singlecut Artist Relations Prototype.
I was an early adopter and six months later I'm still thrilled with it.
She's a little different than the others already posted....

Purchased 3/29/14 from Jack Gretz. McCarty Singlecut Artist Relations Prototype.
I was an early adopter and six months later I'm still thrilled with it.
She's a little different than the others already posted....

Wow, killer top on that one!!

My next PS will definitely be a variation of the McCarty Singlecut. Won't be for sometime though, the 7 string is going to eat up my finances for a while :(.

What is different, versus an SC 245 or SC 58?

Here is what I can tell so far:
-Thicker body. Very noticeably thicker.
-Bone nut.
-5708 pickups wound especially for this model. They sound amazing!
-Electronics that bring some real magic to the volume and tone controls - Black Magic going on there.

I have been very interested in a certain SC 58 they have at a local GC. Are the above and the Maple purfling the only differences? What is the thickness difference compared to an SC58 and an R9? I like lighter guitars, and 8.5 lbs is really my limit. Is it the thicker body that is pushing the weight up on these? What do these cost? I would hate to buy a 58 and then regret it, but it may actually be a better fit for me. I do not go for Clapton or vintage tones at all, more on the smooth violin overdrive thing, and most important, big archtop like tones on the neck pup, but thats really a semi hollow thing. Decisions decisions. Hmm...maybe I should go PS with one of these thicker bodies, and go semi hollow trem with it. :iamconfused:

Last edited:
I have been very interested in a certain SC 58 they have at a local GC. Are the above and the Maple purfling the only differences? What is the thickness difference compared to an SC58 and an R9? I like lighter guitars, and 8.5 lbs is really my limit. Is it the thicker body that is pushing the weight up on these? What do these cost? I would hate to buy a 58 and then regret it, but it may actually be a better fit for me. I do not go for Clapton or vintage tones at all, more on the smooth violin overdrive thing, and most important, big archtop like tones on the neck pup, but thats really a semi hollow thing. Decisions decisions. Hmm...maybe I should go PS with one of these thicker bodies, and go semi hollow trem with it. :iamconfused:

I don't have an SC58 but I do have a PS SC245 Trem that's the same thickness. Measuring at the rear strap button with my digital calipers I get 1.86 inches on the SC245, 1.90 inches on the McCarty Singlecut, and 1.99 inches on my Gibson Paul Kossoff signature (R8/R9). Obviously, the McCarty Singlecut also doesn't have the belly contour which also adds some mass. I've owned a couple of SC58s and the McCarty Singlecut is definitely closer to the LP tone than any PRS I've played but still not 100% identical to the Kossoff.

My next PS will definitely be a variation of the McCarty Singlecut. Won't be for sometime though, the 7 string is going to eat up my finances for a while :(.

Your 7 string sounds like it's going to be awesome!

I have too much trouble with 6 strings, so I'm not goin' there, but I take my hat off to someone who can handle 7! ;)

I don't have an SC58 but I do have a PS SC245 Trem that's the same thickness. Measuring at the rear strap button with my digital calipers I get 1.86 inches on the SC245, 1.90 inches on the McCarty Singlecut, and 1.99 inches on my Gibson Paul Kossoff signature (R8/R9). Obviously, the McCarty Singlecut also doesn't have the belly contour which also adds some mass. I've owned a couple of SC58s and the McCarty Singlecut is definitely closer to the LP tone than any PRS I've played but still not 100% identical to the Kossoff.

I get just under 2" on my 2001 R8 as well.

I like lighter guitars, and 8.5 lbs is really my limit. Is it the thicker body that is pushing the weight up on these?

Quoting myself here, because every time I say something like that, I end up putting my foot in my mouth. I was really loving that SC 58, but stumbled on a dead mint 2013 R9 that sounds and plays unreal. Had to have it....and it weighs 8.9 Lbs. :redface: Besides the 79 347 I once owned, I think its the heaviest I have had. Rings like its chambered but I dont believe the 2013s are.

IME the optimum weight for a Les Paul, other things being equal (which of course they never are) is about 8 2/3 to 8 3/4 pounds. With a Les Paul or any guitar that weighs more than about 8.5 lbs, one of my essential pieces of kit is a strap from my pal at a local-to-me shop, Leatherheads. (in Louisville KY) Google "leatherheads guitar strap" and you'll find it. The design is patented. It distributes the weight properly across your shoulder and back and it makes a huge difference with respect to comfort and stability.

I really want an artist package or wood library on this. Private stock is just out of my price range. Also, love that rosewood veneer headstock!!! Hot!

IME the optimum weight for a Les Paul, other things being equal (which of course they never are) is about 8 2/3 to 8 3/4 pounds. With a Les Paul or any guitar that weighs more than about 8.5 lbs, one of my essential pieces of kit is a strap from my pal at a local-to-me shop, Leatherheads. (in Louisville KY) Google "leatherheads guitar strap" and you'll find it. The design is patented. It distributes the weight properly across your shoulder and back and it makes a huge difference with respect to comfort and stability.

Something about me just loves the heavy Les Pauls. But I like heavy guitars in general so I'm a bit different that way. Also, I prefer Les Paul Customs, which seem to be heavier in general.

Back