The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun this weekend! Happy for you!

Thanks, Les!

If fact, I am having so much fun with my guitar, that this:

39b742b9eaff2765ddaabfb99d750677_zpsd25607e2.jpg

...is inbound to me!!

;)

(Alan/yankeebulldog has already declared Dibs...)

Thanks, Les!

If fact, I am having so much fun with my guitar, that this:

39b742b9eaff2765ddaabfb99d750677_zpsd25607e2.jpg

...is inbound to me!!

;)

(Alan/yankeebulldog has already declared Dibs...)

Heroin. ;)

Anything leaving or is the rest of the stable being kept?

Heroin. ;)

Anything leaving or is the rest of the stable being kept?

Yes, it does feel like some sort of uncontrollable addiction! ;)

Nothing leaving. The Jade Glow is my first build, dedicated to my 20th wedding anniversary to my wife on the back of the headstock, and a lifetime keeper. (LOL - at two years old it is probably the longest I have kept a PRS in the last five years!) The Aquamarine DC 245 Sig is my number one gigging guitar. The Acoustic PS is something I should definitely keep, it encourages me to play acoustic more.

Just expanding my collection of 4 great Private Stocks to 5! :D

Yes, it does feel like some sort of uncontrollable addiction! ;)

I completely understand. I'm all the way live with mine. Can't seem to get enough of it.

In fact, I'm working on a new ad project so it's gonna be earning its keep over the next few days! :top:

Just expanding my collection of 4 great Private Stocks to 5! :D

Good that you're keeping them. They all look the business.

Hey Pete stunning incoming but i have to ask:

Do you feel like you had your fill from a certain guitar
And a bit tired of it's specific tone to move to the next or indeed
Order a new one or is it a matter of continuous rotation for your stable of guitars?

Or do each one satisfy a different part of your sensory buds
and make your body tingle in a different way?

Asking this since i've been following your 5 year journey with over 70 PRSi searching
For the ulitmate tone ( for you of course )

Last edited:
Hey Pete stunning incoming but i have to ask:

Do you feel like you had your fill from a certain guitar
And a bit tired of it's specific tone to move to the next or indeed
Order a new one or is it a matter of continuous rotation for your stable of guitars?

Or do each one satisfy a different part of your sensory buds
and make your body tingle in a different way?

Asking this since i've been following your 5 year journey with over 70 PRSi searching
For the ulitmate tone ( for you of course )

Hey there! Good question.

For me the DC 245 Ted is still my favorite PRS ever. It is "Home" for me. The way that model plays, sounds and feels, I just love. For playing out, that is my go-to model for sure. My 408-equipped 6 pound Obeche DC 245 is a killer gigging machine, sounds AMAZING, never hurts my back, and those 408 pickups are VERY versatile, that guitar really gives me all the sounds I need live. We play a diverse set of different types of songs, and I can get all the tones I need, mostly on rhythm, with some lead work. No effects except for Chorus and Clean boost, through a 2 Channel H and a PRS 4x10 cab. I like a simple and reliable setup.

The McCarty Singlecut is for me about the tone and the vibe. Whereas the DC 245 is a terrific combination of the ergonomics and a tone that slants towards as Les Paul'ish sound with the short scale, the MSC is all-in on the Les Paul formula. As stated before, it hits the "sounds in your head" thing, really nails those classic rock sounds delivered over the years from those 59 Les Pauls, both on the bridge pickup and those creamy leads on the neck. (That is where the 408's fall short IMO, is that creamy neck lead tone. The 408 neck pickup sounds amazing for a lot of great tones. But it does not have that LP creamy lead tone like a DC 245 with a 5708 or 5909 neck pickup, and this MSC totally gets that tone, more so than any of my Ted's.)

The DC 245 is "me", and the MSC is more so the classic tones in my head.

I do want to gig one of these at least once, just to experience it versus the DC 245's, but I don't think I will ever go away from the DC 245 Ted's being my favorite. Remember I strayed from DC Ted's before, and ended up coming right back. I did the Wood Library DGT, McCarty Shootout, the SC 58's, and ultimately wasn't satisfied until I returned to the DC Ted's. The Glacier Blue one Aristotle now has was my favorite of the Wood Library ones, followed by the Solana one, they were all so great. And then I took it up a notch and built these two amazing DC 245 PS Ted's (and a couple more that are no longer around).

I am having fun with this model right now, but my longer term plan still centers around the DC 245 Ted, I still have a list of DC 245 creations I want to make, which include a DC 245 Trem (looking forward to playing Alan's when his comes in) and a DC 245 with the two piece bridge. I just got a little distracted here along the way... ;)

All in due time, something to look forward to! :D

I am always looking forward for your stunning creations
In both visual and tonal departments.

Balance has been restored in the universe!

My favorite amp is back, with my favorite cab and new favorite guitar!

ZcnTYMjVLN2x2B_ZB_PUiYqisyhCV1msP5tS9bPNUxw=w721-h1055-no

Cool video of a different McCarty Glow McCarty Singlecut, from a dealer in the UK:

Sounds great!

Last edited by a moderator:
The MSC/amp combination looks great, Pete! As does the new one incoming. Not that the old one is actually, you know, "old." ;)

The MSC/amp combination looks great, Pete! As does the new one incoming. Not that the old one is actually, you know, "old." ;)

Thanks, Les!

My favorite thing about the Sewell is great tones from the Amp with no pedals needed. Just guitar, cable, amp, speakers. I know you like that pureness of tone as well! ;)

The Sewell responds to the MSC really well by just dialing in a good amp tone with a decent amount of gain in and from there just using the guitar volume and tone controls to get to levels of gain. These 5708's in this model clean up great just from rolling off the volume! Chimey...

I still plan to do some more experimenting with more amps with this great guitar (soon to be two!), stay tuned for that...

Thanks, Les!

My favorite thing about the Sewell is great tones from the Amp with no pedals needed. Just guitar, cable, amp, speakers. I know you like that pureness of tone as well! ;)

The Sewell responds to the MSC really well by just dialing in a good amp tone with a decent amount of gain in and from there just using the guitar volume and tone controls to get to levels of gain. These 5708's in this model clean up great just from rolling off the volume! Chimey...

I still plan to do some more experimenting with more amps with this great guitar (soon to be two!), stay tuned for that...

This is why I love the HXDA. But...

Now that I have the DG30 all dialed in with the right pedals, I may be cutting back. Or not. Everything feels really up in the air because my partner and I are thinking about adding another thing to what we do in the studio.

As always, I'm of two minds on everything.

I am one sick dude, and for the most part, I hate the way I think. On the other hand, I think the way I think anyway. ;)

This is why I love the HXDA. But...

Now that I have the DG30 all dialed in with the right pedals, I may be cutting back. Or not. Everything feels really up in the air because my partner and I are thinking about adding another thing to what we do in the studio.

As always, I'm of two minds on everything.

I am one sick dude, and for the most part, I hate the way I think. On the other hand, I think the way I think anyway. ;)

I would call dibs on the HXDA, but I would need a Paisley one!! ;)

I have been REALLY enjoying this new guitar this weekend! It plays and sounds amazing.

It looks great too, in a Vintage LP sort of way that really hits you deep inside. They nailed this Faded McCarty Finish with a nice "Honeyburst" as described in the "Beauty of the Burst" book. Very golden-yellow, but still a Burst on the top, a butterscotch sort of color. It looks a little different in real life than the pics.

One other nice touch is that they stained the Maple binding on the neck and the body a creamy yellow color. I think it looks really good and goes with the vibe of this guitar:

20140824_175615.jpg

20140824_175639.jpg

You can see on the pics of the incoming McCarty Glow that those are just regular Natural Maple.

I kind of like the yellow Maple Binding, I may ask that they do that for my Orange Glow Smokeburst MSC PS I have spec'ed. What do you guys think?

Back