The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

I think my wife is beginning to suspect that buying a high end guitar "here and there" might not, after all, be a better alternative to a red Corvette convertible for a "mid-life crisis".

I think my wife is beginning to suspect that buying a high end guitar "here and there" might not, after all, be a better alternative to a red Corvette convertible for a "mid-life crisis".

Barring the scientific miracle of suddenly increasing the human life span by about 40 years, I'm too old for a mid-life crisis.

Then again, I bought my wife a Corvette convertible 30 years ago.

There's nothing left to look forward to now, other than walkers, drool cups, and the occasional end-of-life crisis that everyone has as they lose control of various physical and mental functions.

Haha... Pete, your postings here inspired me to get a second McSC... When my wife catches me I'm going to tell her it was your fault... Lol

Fine by me for you to blame it on me!

Cross posting my NGD from today here, my mind is officially BLOWN!!

Epic NGD here today!! My sixth personally spec'ed Private Stock, and I think it is my most magnificent creation to-date!

(My first, the Jade Glow DC 245, still remains my sentimental favorite.)

PS%2B5334%2B01.jpg

I love one-piece quilt tops, but I purposely picked this one to be more subtle, to go with the "Vintage Vibe" I was going for in this guitar.
PS%2B5334%2B02.jpg

The Board is so amazing, outrageously beautiful - great job in picking this one, Alan and Eric C!
PS%2B5334%2B03.jpg

PS%2B5334%2B04.jpg

PS%2B5334%2B05.jpg

PS%2B5334%2B06.jpg

Great mineral streaks in this top, I was hoping they would show like this, really adds to the Vintage feel, despite the one-piece quilt top...
PS%2B5334%2B08.jpg

The Binding is stained Yellow like the Faded McCarty Burst MSC's - really gives it that Historic LP vibe!
PS%2B5334%2B09.jpg

Antique Natural back with the "Microburst" finish from the Collection DGT, gorgeous!
PS%2B5334%2B10.jpg

Gold MOP Old Birds with MOP Outlines, very "Vintage"! Did I mention that the grain and the tones in the Board are to die for?
PS%2B5334%2B14.jpg

Finish is a Custom Orange Glow Smokeburst that I had done before, but this time asked Paul Miles to do with more Yellow in the middle, and he NAILED IT! Exactly what I was looking for.

I did not stray one bit from the MSC formula, just gave it my touches in top, birds, , finish, etc. It sounds AMAZING, as good if not better than my first two MSC's!

Thanks Alan, Eric and the PS team, WELL DONE!!

That is the mos beautiful Quilt Top i´ve ever seen Pete! I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

For those of you who custom ordered your PS MCSC, how many of you stuck with the "jumbo fretwire lightly ground down" as it says on the PRS website? In other words, where PRS replicates the technique Gibson used in the '50s on some of their LPs where the frets are ground flat instead of crowned.

For those of you who custom ordered your PS MCSC, how many of you stuck with the "jumbo fretwire lightly ground down" as it says on the PRS website? In other words, where PRS replicates the technique Gibson used in the '50s on some of their LPs where the frets are ground flat instead of crowned.

One thing I've noticed with my McCarty SC is that I can get pinch harmonics with it so easily, much more so than with any other PRS I've owned in 24 years of being a PRS player.

I have no idea if the flat frets are one reason why, or if it's something else about the guitar that makes that so easy. It'll be interesting to get other players' takes on this as well.

On the one I spent some time with, I did not like the feel at all relative to the DGT/6100's I have on my PRSi. Not really constructive criticism I know. If you are used to the usual PRS feel these can feel quite different.

I stuck with the MSC frets. I like them. I like the DGT Frets on my DC 245 Private Stocks as well. I don't notice much of a difference, but then again I am not playing as much these days with the band on hiatus...

I just used my McCarty Singlecut (a.k.a The Hammer Of The Gods) on 14 video scoring projects during the past 6 weeks, in a variety of musical styles.

And I gotta say, it's absolutely the most amazing sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned. I get happy ears every time I pick it up and play!

Love =

So what do you all think the future of this model is? If they've really "cracked the code", I would have thought this would have become a production model. Though I do understand the idea of PS competing with Gibby Custom Shop historics. I have an R9 that I might consider selling/trading in for one of these at some point if they really are this compelling and different from past SC245 and Ted models. They sound fantastic in the videos!

They are absolute stunners, congrats to everyone in this thread enjoying the heck out of them!

So what do you all think the future of this model is? If they've really "cracked the code", I would have thought this would have become a production model. Though I do understand the idea of PS competing with Gibby Custom Shop historics. I have an R9 that I might consider selling/trading in for one of these at some point if they really are this compelling and different from past SC245 and Ted models. They sound fantastic in the videos!

They are absolute stunners, congrats to everyone in this thread enjoying the heck out of them!

First, they are a production model, just a Private Stock production model. They're listed on the Private Stock page as a standard model. And I think maybe they aren't going to be Core models at this point - I am not sure they can do what they did with these in Core, down to the specially wound pickups, etc.

I've got the faded McCarty Burst one pictured in this thread.

To me, the whole idea of breaking any kind of code is largely irrelevant, even though Paul Smith said it. Because while they do sound a lot like vintage instruments, and they sound a bit different from my earlier Singlecuts, you'd really have to ask, "Which vintage LP was the source of the code?" I mean, every one of them sounds a little different. Beyond that, there's a PRS-ness that I happen to really like about the tone. They're a bit more balanced sounding than the vintage Pauls I've played. Not better, not worse, just a little bit different. And they're also not 60 year old instruments. So there's that.

But judge for yourself:

Here are some cuts I did with mine just to demo the guitars for grins. You decide if there's a code, or not a code, or whatever. I'm sure you'll think they're different from earlier SCs, but whether they ought to float your boat is none of my danged business of course! Please excuse the playing, I'm a keyboard player who doubles on guitar.

Bridge Pickup, McCarty Singlecut, PRS HXDA amp, straight in, no pedals:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/blues-ii-hotg

Neck Pickup, PRS David Grissom DG30 amp, boost pedal just to even out the grit on the amp:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/hammer-dg-30-custom-v2

One year plus later, and my excitement for this guitar has not worn off one bit, still my favorite PRS SC ever, I still consider this one a lifetime keeper!

1f8AQZ15IRMxU5wupU2ryUd2pRrLFsQrVjr4Z-K86FDk22Yp37B4vUsUvQyTJSCI2CyAscoyhg3S0hpjdLWW9AXXq7CC1vErYpp59pJLCeo3UBuV9gCPpiaP_rHwrZtIUDF3sMmgTzQYcX-xEKgIWu6qetvx2DWRDSeLomQgBqHEugZJe3vA4HQdzM_X2NK0NthNwDR3PsrR7wPhgzKfCJPvdQc-C9ESYFiOz6dTZuFv15jMycSEIQBoLyKrOyM0c6GmMd7s10BF8ScQuKhJnnrqBOsF4hfrkIABWDjqFU6DHxsaRh4s7mJ9OcCYuk50BqLasq8iNgAelV_3wcN7WMZjJFSze3jLzKMHJ0Vr4SUrlIxuLryYoNewUYk3S56BpR_CMBb36KjDqxlxccfE2VA8g52andjTyeyk5cRR9PO2E_MKTROWCmQsOJm8k1YWitjecwOmVGwnOuhOtcCTLbly99tiAIKs5ttNlbstH6l9Hz3KAzB4oxBjKef0gfnlh3f1NE6svmJAuqd_CBdmPMt34aO9WBQ7WoLLw7N60c4bULH72C9f3lUlmBrFeyL8YeYa=w1668-h1250-no

-YTFLZLzq90JgmhUsZI8p0jgmOnsA3ub3LpWRMkIKBMETgbiZiWDr5vcgNb2SGRRPJM-KJcxPA5oB_UvaammAngLceSYaPjgukq475vxYxSLftJ0mulHWbeXZRMujgHNe0JZxOKcbQuX-7QeVwKIVBlR3-paGN51ca1tHF9s0DoC34d4Lav_sQGrbVSf9ANUJ6wp7ID6TNPQg3ZIu9NiExQfQBx-IQxdzz8uOP687l9VaM2bk0qWGBz9VmTcXsdXwRELMTmD6eCEqS3WGDsOaDx529wJdpz3DuhMMG8Jf5nJRYKSAuwec4IYhsTeJjk0rs8XmC4_lDiAyxPxdj_VhsCixqnrgYICGzD5ejIRzQF8FT9QrUcDbLruasTa2__4bfofHOGMYlknyaD_F_ki3vMeLAudMOxzmTahd_3jwLHleHYC2JfdWW0g0sxaMmZFmbqcjBW-h7xOX6_JxSHC5FxlxdPFsmwbu1TD41ew9THebG3wWvfASZ7mrw-Ms8WoX3vVm2b2vw_XZw_lbj-FaKT8Es8oel2iPlI5i3V9jTJZtQia-vkPdqExJfNey87fSp21=w938-h1250-no

ycqCBOPUiT19W_LB0q_5M2RvvLURvcoiEG3oLLcoJ9uXX_XjoDnRK14t8jdoJ4gZqjDzpUyfSRaa_AWRa_x5Po7ecSj2cugL6D7g0BJuTrfIFHHrND_fFWQ-MPHPnw3KXC4DRNCJzVLmccCQ7KxUsgjl7HlF-YpNa9rlTgAXWrYtQKzyVvHnn69trx3j-QXK1E0AtVK8doIfS4_SfnOvwbyNLW7f6u_rPGgctdii8f1Uts6H5YKCJ2WtN3jM67SJJDViBNDzlYyWAdIcuzrcLDq1UtmqkLQVWgei-RZImGSP3JfQrTMnBhKEFkHedU586OaTR5fA0m4sQ4DBGTVtS7DIHhtySv2o0y0ccTNcyqfbX4S_SyFyhDgMcWSrLilbpJrIN_UAjqSZaRL6m0QwRd5aWyYNpN_Z7Nnt8OysLpAV6i6XK9tGYEQFO-netT_vupVxWbmtTWwqJLlsLfPGUh7vBkR-WYV-6vfd-GNiVK1tKKGS1600FUPDYrtk0wq6D3A5nSOqbP0pmoknZGHuxqG0fV-f5myRyqBPxHahCh1o89rzoQglXMJuSsEYhTZxe4rd=w938-h1250-no

tjmNgw0B8fk7mfOjKPjjDs_aEafd1kNtbsa8bMNPrSXORGVoLimfv1UbHZicXb7_Apzh_Cy226WqVgy2v5wiejNUXDSWO4EQKPWb36R4Uepcwcztj9cpRp_084MEiSy1kSl72YERH-Z10otDZbzHLvQ2hXUDVAYaHo9Ww0ApCuWmqVuL7rhcRIpgXAVjSzDgKu3rhdqbyKfXJATRp3VI07GRz9GHxDkqkYi2f1j2tS7484h2qNrwyzac1qw8Uw0mLLHmUGErbfZdXIlWnkByojCZCdKXWJPwW7sVnU8LXll7TBFjZ026xAaLZoTN1cMrKrM5lsGVOFv8SALoH-en94GF99nmq66_KXmUYUdk-QpRn0cmA7pHaTxOBQqmh_u32XXTFYUEtfUtX-xh7EXkz2f752Kr9WBlTM13GFg1UFPxRI6drPHhu3ZgV8-KZMEuDjTnax9_CZqA8_VfsTTBF_yJ0Wvtum__v4OlpvXwrSbNpqwE8Iou51bzuWJMfow5fqbIz3vvKefzd1pAt8ZrV6gvlC6QBGOGL3hV_jF0btIwyv0auj5zUGbluQuMxq4DKRpK=w938-h1250-no

BCm8SeG9jLym6fiLYQApq5X6-CZxXKvsk5YGyBjxy1jmVRDDp6VXpaA6Bdtl3SEdgxGbUFRGz1LiV-KYYrGL91ls94j6REiZyPenraW8z7uW5MeM91oNZTNFhraxx0hnOVkrpivzm-vWYZU1mW0VhYS6CXzogKk4Q_ZkBL1wdVxRMLZIGbAYQI4GwDoCNy_mld95t6AcaOpGxeAM4GlRVnyayArrRWr9wDreCy4rgkzIzMRuzsVKv9GtnUxsgBcOVTYkmwongsUqNWEfT3MO2hcyf8wXukB1IEp1h3dmlx8cdPeImeBYMCjwSFP0104bHjXWJ5SLouIC7PzfOcQy8GZ2MwsuhHpTX4x9Thne1lVJ8YmTZ-_JYnyt4URvHG1g9KjdKZFiCkzhG3SdWHzSLAo-XlJaodG_j63htWrL8n1lJLbkHlOwsM6Qqn9a2XxDj-g05lixM3Q1GvNmzDdBC7U-gRiSLs_3U46YYHdxozKWkBidfYiyXZEUwZHuK-KatwNvXzhE-KbDho-GNRn6FPtZA7EBEsyyByIenRaFjG_Nlf6rLzBYHT-Ezqftjgr5_Q51=w938-h1250-no

ZeMC_DjEvR9itfYRXUIUcVYGncLEpuQjF0-fwFZJlf2u4uHFoTPbLMkj99VVduiw4eRrzOT_4-j18PlzuOMNQNYcF77t5GliN3zmv1D1VaBrntfNOetEXlYOcT3Y301Bl9D65oegsr6ZuCmr5997gbPztY5ZJWbu11Cncmw6JJeZgYD8WrfcufY_Y_5SitxCejC-wANYCbFSsvrkH9cYYOe1IJvzLoOV3sGLMTPXjxKxybo2YTpE3-dcBavgBoU3xm9TCnL6dJ2vdH8AA-tpQQtCs6DAYDYnmcDGFEf7-lr1_qgzdZDSw5oPK-LpbxXtNUIfhfSm4GQTALoT6QOGnHLxy6hE96g2wxZGB8W53Knz0_VDFBWCVT0M47hKOC682i6x1trTNQ0y9zyojh4O0Nyn54EEDxxo-WK5CEKeuuPgHzKo899hPl3IpAU1B3T9d0tkkS1UZYIRcKBbypb3WtmPew5bkuhTaBm07uxAj6TeaSDtgPLVaM_ieXc6uLrZ4xk-rfDDvJVlW8K41YranoGdgGybfORk3GQ9kjW12ZRO63h2lkgyMLTGFljqzDbJjv7a=w938-h1250-no

If you guys recall, this is my 3rd MSC, I owned two awesome ones from the PS run, and then later spec'ed this one. This guitar is at another level, really a "Holy Grail" guitar for me, the best sounding SC guitar I have ever owned. It is almost anti-climactic for me, in that there is nothing more to do with regards to SC's, the destination has been reached. I won't complain though!

Another reason to bump this thread today is because this club has a new member, who might want to post his here!! ;)

Back