The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

I don't blame you!

So last I remember you went on kind of a singlecut tear. What's the stable like these days?

Jade Glow DC Ted Piezo, Aquamarine Obeche DC 245 Ted Sig, McCarty Glow MSC, PS Acoustic. Inbound Orange Glow MSC, and DC Obeche DC 245 Ted also in Orange Glow in the oven.

Have the Kossoff and Skinnerburst R9's as well, but they will both be sold to fund the Private Stocks.

So I did indeed go on a Singlecut tear, but at the end of the day the DC 245's will still be my main guitars! ;)

So I did indeed go on a Singlecut tear, but at the end of the day the DC 245's will still be my main guitars! ;)

It's good to return to your first love. But it's also good to have some alternate choices!

I've got a 30th Anniversary CU24 AP coming to have an alternative tone. Haven't had a CU24 since 1993! Should be interesting, maple neck, ebony board.

It's good to return to your first love. But it's also good to have some alternate choices!

I've got a 30th Anniversary CU24 AP coming to have an alternative tone. Haven't had a CU24 since 1993! Should be interesting, maple neck, ebony board.

I want to hear about that 30th anny CU24, Les. The band I'm playing in now does a number of '80s funk tunes -- Prince, the Time, et al -- and, as many guitars as I have, there's a gaping hole that is exposed by those tunes. (distorted, chorused, whammied freakazoid hammer-on stuff) I guess I could dig out my old Parker Fly! But a good modern version of the CU24 seems like a potential solution to that little dilemma.

Oh, wait... ...I still have a VY '86 Custom, don't I! :redface:

Incoming MSC!!

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Eric says it sounds amazing! He teased me that he was going to have to keep this one. (At least I *hope* he was teasing!!)

Merry Christmas to me!

It turned out just as I envisioned it!

Too bad Alan couldn't find me a board with decent grain in it. (LOL, nice job Alan!)

Piece o' junk compared to the new ones. ;)

Why do you think I'm considering a new one?!?!?

Although there is a place in this world for "junk" that is magical, and my '86 qualifies. For one, it was factory-ordered with a tone control and a different-but-very-useful set of sounds on the 5-way rotary. Plus it has a unique and vibrant voice that really stands out from the crowd, in a good way. I call a guitar like that a "freak show." Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of the early Customs (the pre-Standards, though, are another story altogether!) but this one grabbed me and won't let go.

Last edited:

Although there is a place in this world for "junk" that is magical, and my '86 qualifies. For one, it was factory-ordered with a tone control and a different-but-very-useful set of sounds on the 5-way rotary. Plus it has a unique and vibrant voice that really stands out from the crowd, in a good way. I call a guitar like that a "freak show." Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of the early Customs (the pre-Standards, though, are another story altogether!) but this one grabbed me and won't let go.

Well I know that you know I was kidding!

Actually, my '91 Custom was a really special instrument, too. It was just one of those guitars that sounded good no matter what you play on it. Of course, when I saw the Artist II hanging on the wall in the store, my eyeballs popped out of my head and I HAD to have it. At that time I wasn't all-PRS, I sort of had a one Gibson, one PRS, one Fender, one Rick, etc., thing going.

So to preserve that balance I traded in my Custom on the Artist II. Bought with my eyeballs, not my ears. That can be a difficult thing to avoid, but I've learned over the years.

The Artist II really was a superb guitar, and was my #1 for several years, but honestly the Custom sounded more like what I wanted at the time on recordings. This could partly be attributed to the fact that it paired up really well with the Mesa amps I was playing through at the time, Tremoverb, Blue Angel, Maverick, several others. I was really, really into Mesa gear for recording because I could always dial up a "sound" with it very quickly (same with Vox amps, though of course they're more one trick ponies, it's a heck of a trick).

What has proved odd is that in the last ten years or so, I've felt no need to have one of everything. No one seemed to care which guitar I recorded, except me. In 25 years in my ad music business only once has a client asked me to play a certain guitar, and that was during a session where I'd already used that particular guitar (a rick) and pulled it out to show him. I realized the average person can't tell at all which guitar I use. So I found the best thing for me is to just play what I want to play, and the heck with thinking "I have to use a Strat on this song." Etc.

If you are referring to the one you brought to my house a few years back, I can vouch that that guitar is awesome. That gets the most amazing Fendery tones with the 5-way, that I have ever heard from PRS humbuckers!

2nd from the right...

Tonefest3-14.jpg

I am going to blame it on the Christmas spirit, but I just bought a second PS McSC. I love my first one so much I added another.

You guys are a really bad influence!!!! ;)

Pete, the new babe looks great. Nice finish choice, too. If Eric likes it, I bet I would as well.

Well I know that you know I was kidding!

Of course!

What has proved odd is that in the last ten years or so, I've felt no need to have one of everything. No one seemed to care which guitar I recorded, except me. In 25 years in my ad music business only once has a client asked me to play a certain guitar, and that was during a session where I'd already used that particular guitar (a rick) and pulled it out to show him. I realized the average person can't tell at all which guitar I use. So I found the best thing for me is to just play what I want to play, and the heck with thinking "I have to use a Strat on this song." Etc.

That's a great place to be. I'm actually the same way -- I take perverse pride in using anything BUT a Strat to play things where a Strat is the obvious choice. Like with this funk band, a Strat would be exactly what most players would pick up first. But I'm leaning harder on the Les Paul recipe guitars. With a LP-recipe guitar, the right amp, a solid understanding of how to set the amp and how to work the volume and tone knobs, it's possible to get crispy, cutting sounds that are perfectly suited for funk. Actually, one of the primary things I look for in a LP-recipe guitar is a basic tone (voice) that has enough high end zing (not to be confused with a bright, hard-sounding high end), especially when the volume is dialed back a bit.

And yeah, nobody in the audience at my last gig cared AT ALL what particular guitar I used. Nor did my band-mates. For me, though, there's always an awareness of "how well is this tool suited for what I'm trying to do?" and for a chunk of that one set I realized there was a set of sonic and functional characteristics I had in mind for what I wanted to play on those tunes that I wasn't getting from the guitar I happened to be using. (which, during the set in question, was my KDGT, as I knew I wanted a vibrato bar) That becomes a practical issue, and I end up asking questions such as, "How often am I going to need/want this functionality? How often has it come up already? Are there other options from my existing woodpile that I could consider? If not, what are my options for solving this gap in functionality?"

In general, I'm making the transition from buying whatever tool I think might could do something I might possibly envision myself wanting to do someday to thinking in more Kimockian terms: what's the optimum woodpile which allows me to do all the things I want/need done, with the minimal amount of "overlapping functionality" and general confusion that results from playing guitars onstage with which I'm not as familiar as I need to be. He told me that the more I gigged and recorded, the more things would naturally sort themselves out. He's right.

So hey, all you McCarty Singlecut owners on this thread about those guitars, do you all try to get anything like the kind of funk sounds I'm talking about? Listen to some of the stuff Bruce Conte did with Tower of Power to hear what I'm talking about. If so, how's the McC SC working out for that? My vintage Les Paul nails those sounds. (BC played a '57 goldtop on those classic '70s recordings) But I always had a b**ch of a time finding an Historic LP that could do that.

I am going to blame it on the Christmas spirit, but I just bought a second PS McSC. I love my first one so much I added another.

I know from experience, it is tough to have just one!! ;)

Congrats!

Pete, the new babe looks great. Nice finish choice, too. If Eric likes it, I bet I would as well.

Thanks, Kingsley!

The impetus behind the finish on this one goes way back to 2012 for me, in liking the Collection DGT finishes, and Eric's and your Citrus Glows!

We are a great influence! We're keeping you away from other vices!

Back