The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I just got this one. I A/B'd it with a SC594. There might have been a bit of difference in tone (certainly in the heft), but any small difference, for me, was more than made up for by the ergonomics of the double cut form-factor. I spend a lot of time in the 12th-15th fret real estate, and having unobstructed access was the tipping point. Plus...just look at her. How could I say no to that face.

blue%20jean%20hero.jpg

It's incredible how many things Mr. Smith and company got right with this one.

I'm also happy I got the DC for similar reasons. I don't think I sacrificed anything tone wise tho, it sounds better than any of the other PRS guitars I was able to try out.

For me, even on my PS guitars, it's not something I think about. The black covers work, and are what they are.

Usually I don't either. In all my travels I've only "upgraded" one cavity cover, and that was solely for kicks back when I could buy parts at dealer cost. Most of the time with trem-equipped guitars, the cover and screws live in my parts cache anyway to facilitate quick tension adjustments when necessary. I'm just contemplating a little vanity fun now since no other instrument has put such a smile on my face.

I was right there with you at first, they're just cover plates. It became an issue for me because they were all scratched up on a brand new in the box guitar, they came that way from PRS. When I found out replacing them would cost me $35 for 15 cents worth of some of the cheapest plastic available I decided to use the whole thing to my advantage and customize.

And there's no reason you shouldn't!

However if the covers were scratched right out of the box, I'm pretty sure PRS would replace them under the warranty. They're great about things like that.

However if the covers were scratched right out of the box, I'm pretty sure PRS would replace them under the warranty. They're great about things like that.

Except they wouldn't. I suppose I could have whined a lot and pressed the point but I decided to go a better way. I like turning lemons into lemonade. It would have just been replacing crap with crap anyway :)

Usually I don't either. In all my travels I've only "upgraded" one cavity cover, and that was solely for kicks back when I could buy parts at dealer cost. Most of the time with trem-equipped guitars, the cover and screws live in my parts cache anyway to facilitate quick tension adjustments when necessary. I'm just contemplating a little vanity fun now since no other instrument has put such a smile on my face.

Something like this. I've never even thought about it before and I'm not even considering doing it with my Les Paul but it's a bit of vanity that drove me to buy a $5k guitar in the first place. The only difference between the regular 594 and Wood Library or Artist packages is looks. I have no misgivings about making it a little more of what I want in my one and only vanity electric guitar. It's my guitar, my money, my vanity and I'll own all of it proudly :)

If it weren't for vanity PRS would only have to make one guitar in one color in a standard model with no options.

If it weren't for vanity PRS would only have to make one guitar in one color in a standard model with no options.

Except the various models do all sound different. Many of them have different scale lengths, wood, and feel. So one model wouldn't do for everyone, unless you consider that everyone should sound alike or look alike but for vanity.

The usual definition of vanity includes excessive pride in one's self or object. What that is, of course, is entirely subjective.

I don't think it's excessive to want to satisfy your own tone and looks ideas. That's why I think it's fine to do whatever the heck you want with your own guitar and coin.

Just expressing my own opinion, and not saying it should apply to, or be adopted by, anyone else.

Except the various models do all sound different. Many of them have different scale lengths, wood, and feel. So one model wouldn't do for everyone, unless you consider that everyone should sound alike or look alike but for vanity.

The usual definition of vanity includes excessive pride in one's self or object. What that is, of course, is entirely subjective.

I don't think it's excessive to want to satisfy your own tone and looks ideas. That's why I think it's fine to do whatever the heck you want with your own guitar and coin.

Just expressing my own opinion, and not saying it should apply to, or be adopted by, anyone else.

Thanks for your opinion :)

Maybe we'll try a different tack on this one and hope it doesn't get derailed again.

What changes, upgrades, modifications, and/or customizations have you made or considered making to your 594?

No need for justification either way :)

Maybe we'll try a different tack on this one and hope it doesn't get derailed again.

What changes, upgrades, modifications, and/or customizations have you made or considered making to your 594?

I've done Ivroid tuner buttons on all of mine. Looks better with the fretboard binding, imo. Since I have had multiples, I've also done pick up swaps.

Seems like some people swap the bridge pickup to something a bit hotter. If you're talking private stock I'd suggest the hansomatic mod. If you're curious and no one explains it I'll elaborate.

I like the mystique involved in someone else explaining it... maybe Hans himself would explain it, if he sees this.

On my DC, I've only changed the tuner buttons to ivoriod. I think they go together better with the fretboard binding.
Should be standard on that model IMO.

On my SC, I went all out.
It has an EIR neck and Brazilian board.
So I did EIR tuner buttons and truss rod cover, and Brazilian pickup rings and switchtip.

Hello,

My local store has 3 PRS 594 on stock, so i decided to test them.

2z6htuf.jpg

Now that is something! When I saw the picture of that yellow/McCarty Burst 594, I thought: " WOW! That one is gorgeous. Why don't such examples ever show up in my area?". I have a PS GOM, but I really like these kind of tops.

But, as I looked closer at the picture above, I thought, "wait a minute, I know that store"! This is at TFOA! And that is like 400 meters from where I live! Go figure...

Now I got a serious money issue.

ooooohhhh... those might look cool on my black McCarty. They would match the pickup rings. Hmmm...

I've done Ivroid tuner buttons on all of mine. Looks better with the fretboard binding, imo.

MA Pete planted that seed in my brain a while back, and I may have to finally install a set. They'd be a great match.

Seems like some people swap the bridge pickup to something a bit hotter.

This thought occasionally crosses my mind, despite being very happy with the stock LT. I'll likely leave it as is unless I stumble across something that causes a change of heart.

Maybe gold pickup screws and brushed gold tuner buttons to complete the mixed hardware look.

Back