The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Man that's is sweet. Wow that's drool city. Cleans on the 594 are fantastic, overdrive is personally the best I've ever heard. Dang it man that's beautiful..Congrats!

Did you correct that 'yet' yet?
It would look even better on your couch.
Did not buy it yet...

2ic5fz8.jpg

I just got this one. I A/B'd it with a SC594. There might have been a bit of difference in tone (certainly in the heft), but any small difference, for me, was more than made up for by the ergonomics of the double cut form-factor. I spend a lot of time in the 12th-15th fret real estate, and having unobstructed access was the tipping point. Plus...just look at her. How could I say no to that face.

blue%20jean%20hero.jpg

It's incredible how many things Mr. Smith and company got right with this one.

I just got this one. I A/B'd it with a SC594. There might have been a bit of difference in tone (certainly in the heft), but any small difference, for me, was more than made up for by the ergonomics of the double cut form-factor. I spend a lot of time in the 12th-15th fret real estate, and having unobstructed access was the tipping point. Plus...just look at her. How could I say no to that face.

blue%20jean%20hero.jpg

Sweet! Congrats!

It's incredible how many things Mr. Smith and company got right with this one.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. My favorite guitar in 35 years of playing.

It really should be a Santana!

It will be a SAS with the blade switch. It will go to the PTC. It will be amazing. It will be quite some time until I can swing it, though. :(

blue%20jean%20hero.jpg

Man, I love the look of that one. I haven't played the SC594 yet, but already agree on all points.

I'm curious about what customizations people are doing to their 594s. Initially I wasn't planning on doing any modifications because it's a really nice guitar but now I'm considering a few cosmetic upgrades. Personally I like the tone a lot so I'm not changing pickups or anything there with the exception of strings.

I'm for sure upgrading the cheap 15 cent plastic backplates. Both of mine were scratched from the factory and even if they weren't they just scream cheap on a nearly $5k guitar. Right now I'm looking into custom wood (black ebony) backplates, possibly with PRS like paua/abalone bird inlays.

Others that I'm considering are custom wood tuner buttons from Crazyparts.de and possibly a custom ebony truss rod cover wth "McCarty 594" in green paua/abalone to match the fretboard inlays. I thought about the custom wood pickup rings but to be honest I like the way the plastic ones match the fretboard binding and it's kind of an expected traditional look. Same with the tone/volume knobs, I like them the way they are for that traditional look.

What are your thoughts on any of these?

What are your thoughts on any of these?

Similarly, I've been contemplating a custom truss rod cover and perhaps some rosewood plates (assuming I can find some that are a nice compliment to my RW neck). Nothing too flashy or intricate though, I think keeping it simple will nail the look I'm after. Priority one is completing my current amp & effects quest, and then I'll worry about minor cosmetic tinkering later.

Similarly, I've been contemplating a custom truss rod cover and perhaps some rosewood plates (assuming I can find some that are a nice compliment to my RW neck). Nothing too flashy or intricate though, I think keeping it simple will nail the look I'm after. Priority one is completing my current amp & effects quest, and then I'll worry about minor cosmetic tinkering later.

EIR was one of my top choices on the back plates because it matches the rosewood neck. Other options I liked/considered were a really dark almost black ebony kind of matching the originals, figured maple matching the scraped binding, or cocobolo matching my fretboard.

I love the looks of a nice cocobolo but it doesn't seem to go well with mahogany color wise. They're just similar enough to look like a bad attempt at color matching. Flame maple is nice but I prefer to go darker rather than lighter. Black ebony is a top choice because of color/contrast and because it's very dense and durable making it a good choice for cover plates. It also looks the best with the abalone inlays if I go that way.

If I were to keep it simple and classy I'd probably go with the EIR in either satin or unfinished and depending on the cost of the inlay option I may yet go that way. Guilford guitars does PRS backplates in EIR but he doesn't currently have a template for the 594 so you'd have to send him your plates or a tracing. If I go the rosewood route he's my top choice. If I get there before you do he'll already have a template for your 594 :)

I'm for sure upgrading the cheap 15 cent plastic backplates.

There are folks who can't deal with the control and trem cavity covers, and folks for whom it's a non-issue. For me, even on my PS guitars, it's not something I think about. The black covers work, and are what they are.

If I were to replace a set, I'd get something without much grain, like ebony, so that they wouldn't clash with the guitar's wood, but of course it'd look just like the stock covers, so there wouldn't be much point.

I guess I don't see non-matching wood cavity covers as an improvement in the look of the guitar. If they matched the back, as on some PS guitars, it's a nice look (though as I said, not something that moves me either way).

blue%20jean%20hero.jpg

Killer specimen my GAS is burning feverishly

There are folks who can't deal with the control and trem cavity covers, and folks for whom it's a non-issue. For me, even on my PS guitars, it's not something I think about. The black covers work, and are what they are.

If I were to replace a set, I'd get something without much grain, like ebony, so that they wouldn't clash with the guitar's wood, but of course it'd look just like the stock covers, so there wouldn't be much point.

I guess I don't see non-matching wood cavity covers as an improvement in the look of the guitar. If they matched the back, as on some PS guitars, it's a nice look (though as I said, not something that moves me either way).

I was right there with you at first, they're just cover plates. It became an issue for me because they were all scratched up on a brand new in the box guitar, they came that way from PRS. When I found out replacing them would cost me $35 for 15 cents worth of some of the cheapest plastic available I decided to use the whole thing to my advantage and customize.

I also agree that there are aesthetically attractive and unattractive ways of doing it, but done right it will be a nice upgrade and add some personalization and uniqueness to my guitar. For what it's worth there's a huge aesthetic difference between ebony and cheap plastic to my eyes because I really appreciate fine craftsmanship.

To each his own :)

Last edited:
Back