The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

My goodness, what a phenomenal thread! Glad I made it all the way through, as amidst all the eye candy, I saw mine included:

Acquired from Wild West Guitars a few months ago, WL w/Artist Package. Couldn't be happier with the lumber. Plays like a dream.
Nice!

My goodness, what a phenomenal thread! Glad I made it all the way through, as amidst all the eye candy, I saw mine included:

Acquired from Wild West Guitars a few months ago, WL w/Artist Package. Couldn't be happier with the lumber. Plays like a dream.

That is just ridiculously gorgeous!!!!!! Welcome to the club and enjoy!

goEmR8h.jpg

Dat neck though

Thanks very much! I drooled buckets over your photo contributions to the thread, haha. Took me a couple days to read through all the posts.

In natural light the quilt really shines through, and looks slightly less Santana Yellow and closer to a more "natural" (or honey) stain.
Whatever color it looks more like, it looks simply amazing! Great guitar. Love me some rosewood necks.....

Kevin

So now I've gone and done it... I've been purposely avoiding getting anywhere near a 594 for the past year until today. I've got two 90's McCartys (one is a McRosie), a 90's SAS, and a '12 DGT and told myself that I did NOT need any more PRSi. It hasn't been that hard because not too many of the newer models have spoken to me. Then Paul goes and builds the EXACT guitar I've wanted from him for 20 years in the 594. Still, I managed to keep my distance - until today when I was finally in the local GC and spent some quality time with a beautiful McCarty 594 10 top in faded whale blue. It was every bit as great as I feared it would be. Now I've got some thinking to do. Dammit... :eek::(;)

Last edited:
So now I've gone and done it... I've been purposely avoiding getting anywhere near a 594 for the past year until today. I've got two 90's McCartys (one is a McRosie), a 90's SAS, and a '12 DGT and told myself that I did NOT need any more PRSi. It hasn't been that hard because not too many of the newer models has spoken to me. Then Paul goes and builds the EXACT guitar I've wanted from him for 20 years in the 594. Still, I managed to keep my distance - until today when I was finally in the local GC and spent some quality time with a beautiful McCarty 594 10 top in faded whale blue. It was every bit as great as I feared it would be. Now I've got some thinking to do. Dammit... :eek::(;)
Good luck with that.

Welcome to the forum.

So now I've gone and done it... I've been purposely avoiding getting anywhere near a 594 for the past year until today. I've got two 90's McCartys (one is a McRosie), a 90's SAS, and a '12 DGT and told myself that I did NOT need any more PRSi. It hasn't been that hard because not too many of the newer models have spoken to me. Then Paul goes and builds the EXACT guitar I've wanted from him for 20 years in the 594. Still, I managed to keep my distance - until today when I was finally in the local GC and spent some quality time with a beautiful McCarty 594 10 top in faded whale blue. It was every bit as great as I feared it would be. Now I've got some thinking to do. Dammit... :eek::(;)

Welcome! Really hope you're not looking for someone here to talk you off the ledge! Ain't happening :D. I'll give ya a nudge, and follow down the rabbit hole!

Guys I'm really confused as that doesn't happen with any of my two Les Paul's or my SG?????

Modern (or modern-ish, which to me is anything since maybe 1980) Gibsons vary in how they are wired. I recently acquired a brand-new "64 Historic" (Memphis factory) ES-345. (in a most fetching pearl white finish!) Much to my surprise, the wiring was independent rather than interactive. I'm firmly in the interactive camp, and at first I thought I'd have to have it rewired. But my policy is to always live with a guitar for a while before I do any modifications, mainly because it takes a good while before I figure out what a particular guitar wants to be and how it's gonna work for me. I've come to kinda like the way the controls in that particular guitar work so at least for now I'm living with it as is.

The two primary benefits of interactive wiring in a passive system are:
  1. Reduced treble roll-off when you back off the volume. For those of us who typically run our pickups on 7 or 8, and go up to 9 or 10 for lead or more push on the amp, and down to 4 or 5 or less for quieter strumming, this is really important. PRS adds treble-bleed caps which make the treble roll-off even less of an issue, but to my ears those caps add an unpleasant edge to the overall sound so I usually snip them out of the circuit on my PRS guitars.
  2. There is a much wider palette of timbres to be had when you experiment with the two volumes in the middle (both pickups on) setting. Add the ability to independently cut the pickups to single-coil mode as on the 594 and you have a YUGE sandbox in which to create timbral variations. I've thus far been able to resist purchasing a 594. This is the biggest reason I'll probably give in at some point.
Needless to say, a lot of players only want two knobs, or maybe even only one. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Van Halen) If you've got EVH's hands and imagination that's certainly a valid approach as well.

Good post re the wiring, Kingsley! I had thought of re-doing the wiring on one of my many 594's, to try this out.

N5D here today! Just when you guys thought I had foregone the DC's and went ALL-IN on the SC's, here I have an N5D in DC, a Goldtop Willcutt Guitars Wood Library DC 594.

IMG_0792_zpszvcfptgx.jpg

This pic really highlights how a Goldtop finish really highlights the gorgeous top carve of a PRS DC, beautiful figure on this top, in a different way than usual! ;)
IMG_0790_zpswcqattbf.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsx8s38eoe.jpg

IMG_0794_zpsakv1c9sj.jpg

IMG_0798_zps4slajytj.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsobjdp29t.jpg

What is special about this guitar from a WL build perspective is (1) a Brazilian Board (which is a super dark Brazilian Board, with some killer subtle flame, just the way I like them!!) and (2) the back is a little darker/richer than "Natural", something I had collaborated on with Eric of Willcutt Guitars to do. (Although I am not certain how much they actually did this - it looks pretty close to "Natural" to me. Maybe it needs to go back to the PTC for a Tobacco back refin! ;) I do really appreciate having a Brazilian Board, especially it being such a tasty one. That in and of itself for me is a nice differentiation over a Core 594.)

Tone is great! A killer DC example, one of the best DC's I have played.

Man, there is just something awesome about the look, feel and vibe of a Goldtop 594, DC or SC!!!

IMG_0804_zps7x4dmi7x.jpg

:)

Good post re the wiring, Kingsley! I had thought of re-doing the wiring on one of my many 594's, to try this out.

N5D here today! Just when you guys thought I had foregone the DC's and went ALL-IN on the SC's, here I have an N5D in DC, a Goldtop Willcutt Guitars Wood Library DC 594.

IMG_0792_zpszvcfptgx.jpg

This pic really highlights how a Goldtop finish really highlights the gorgeous top carve of a PRS DC, beautiful figure on this top, in a different way than usual! ;)
IMG_0790_zpswcqattbf.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsx8s38eoe.jpg

IMG_0794_zpsakv1c9sj.jpg

IMG_0798_zps4slajytj.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsobjdp29t.jpg

What is special about this guitar from a WL build perspective is (1) a Brazilian Board (which is a super dark Brazilian Board, with some killer subtle flame, just the way I like them!!) and (2) the back is a little darker/richer than "Natural", something I had collaborated on with Eric of Willcutt Guitars to do. (Although I am not certain how much they actually did this - it looks pretty close to "Natural" to me. Maybe it needs to go back to the PTC for a Tobacco back refin! ;) I do really appreciate having a Brazilian Board, especially it being such a tasty one. That in and of itself for me is a nice differentiation over a Core 594.)

Tone is great! A killer DC example, one of the best DC's I have played.

Man, there is just something awesome about the look, feel and vibe of a Goldtop 594, DC or SC!!!

IMG_0804_zps7x4dmi7x.jpg

:)

Great pair, Pete! Congrats!

Some pics now that I'm able to post links -- so happy to be part of the club!
(Pardon the reflections and indoor lighting.)

8G6qfgD.jpg

WYekXp2.jpg

goEmR8h.jpg

And lastly, an appropriately matched Paisley strap. ;)

VgjiObD.jpg
Awesome guitar! Absolutely beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the strap? I love the colors.

Chris

Back