The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Just a question, does anyone know of a good lightweight case that fits the 594? I have a foam/cloth on on my tele but the 594 does not fit. I want to leave the good case home...

I'm using a Gator ProGo for hauling guitars to gigs. Very nice soft case. I also have an SE gig bag I'd be willing to carry the 594 in. The hard case lives under a bed and isn't likely to see the outside world very often.

OK, one more question.... Starting at this point on the 594 all controls full open, humbucking mode, CENTER position of pickup selector switch. If I turn down the volume of either pickup, the guitar volume goes to zero. That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be a blend where there is still one pickup all the way on if the other is off? Puzzled...

Here's a good article on that subject:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21106-mod-garage-decouple-your-les-pauls-volume-controls

You have to leave both pickup on at least a little bit for the middle to work , there is magic to be had playing with the two volumes and finding "the spot" or you can turn one all the way down and use the center as a kill switch

OK, one more question.... Starting at this point on the 594 all controls full open, humbucking mode, CENTER position of pickup selector switch. If I turn down the volume of either pickup, the guitar volume goes to zero. That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be a blend where there is still one pickup all the way on if the other is off? Puzzled...

What dkilpatrick and rider said. My first LP copy was a Hondo II that worked like you expected - in the center position, as long as either pickup was on, there was sound. So when I got my first real LP and it worked just like this, I thought something was wrong with it. I have zero memory of how I found out it was working like it should and the Hondo was the outlier.

And as Rider said, you can find tons of tones in the middle position w/two volumes. That's a big part of the reason the DGT has the two volumes - DGh said he likes to blend the pickups that way.

N5D!!

Righteous Guitars Wood Library 594, Korina Body and Neck, Brazilian Board, 58/15 LT Neck, 57/08 Bridge. (Thanks Ben and Brian, you guys ROCK!!)

IMG_0209_zpstajqptrc.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsednduyxg.jpg

IMG_0213_zpsdf7lu10r.jpg

IMG_0202_zps1nzbp8rl.jpg

Grey Black Fade with a killer Quilt top!

I dig it so far! More to follow...

P.S. Chris/goof1073 - I blame YOU for this! Making me think about Korina last week... ;)

N5D!!

Righteous Guitars Wood Library 594, Korina Body and Neck, Brazilian Board, 58/15 LT Neck, 57/08 Bridge. (Thanks Ben and Brian, you guys ROCK!!)

IMG_0209_zpstajqptrc.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsednduyxg.jpg

IMG_0213_zpsdf7lu10r.jpg

IMG_0202_zps1nzbp8rl.jpg

P.S. Chris/goof1073 - I blame YOU for this! Making me think about Korina last week... ;)

Calling DIBS Pete. Looks awesome

N5D!!

IMG_0213_zpsdf7lu10r.jpg

Awesome score Pete - yours is the benchmate of my "Bubbles" from the same run. They were hanging next to each other in the store when I grabbed mine.
I'll be interested to hear your take on how it compares to a "Standard" 594.

Enjoy

Awesome, congrats! I have watched that video a dozen times, LOL...

GORGEOUS guitar!

Thanks Pete. There are about 180 or so photo's of the whole build process. Starting with PRS himself selecting the woods, through the whole build and then some great studio shots of the finished guitar. The video is made from a few of those photo's, but there are many more. I didn't know anything about that at all until after I had bought the guitar, so it came as a really nice surprise and is great to have.

My preference would have been a McCarty or Tobacco burst, but it is really growing on me now and looks better in the wood than the video suggests. I am still getting acclimatised to this guitar, but the tone is ridiculous!

Last edited:
Absolute beauty Pete! I want this exact config on a singlecut 594!! My DGT korina neck/ Brazzy board sounds so fantastic! Love natural korina.

I really wish PRS would make more full korina guitars with these type of tops and brazzy boards.

Do you hear that vendors?? Wood Library SC594 with these specs and I am buying!

N5D!!

IMG_0209_zpstajqptrc.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsednduyxg.jpg

IMG_0213_zpsdf7lu10r.jpg

IMG_0202_zps1nzbp8rl.jpg

What dkilpatrick and rider said. My first LP copy was a Hondo II that worked like you expected - in the center position, as long as either pickup was on, there was sound. So when I got my first real LP and it worked just like this, I thought something was wrong with it. I have zero memory of how I found out it was working like it should and the Hondo was the outlier.

And as Rider said, you can find tons of tones in the middle position w/two volumes. That's a big part of the reason the DGT has the two volumes - DGh said he likes to blend the pickups that way.

It's really a question of preference, and how you use your volume & tone controls. For a "set it and forget it" type, the independent wiring method might be preferable. But note the caveat in the linked Premier Guitar article - one result of independent wiring is a noticeable loss of treble when you back off the volume. The article recommends installing capacitors to mitigate this, which is something PRS has done across the line although I don't know if the 594, with its whole vintage-Gibson ethos, includes those. (someone who owns one could answer that!)

For someone like me who is always "turning knobs" interactive wiring is the only way to roll. I have pretty specific ideas about how I want the volume and tone curves to work, both individually and when both pickups are on. With that wiring method it's important to understand how everything in the circuit -- guitar, cables, pedals, amp -- interacts. Because it all does interact. The behavior of the knobs can vary dramatically from amplifier to amplifier (this is a function of the input impedance of the amp) and depending on what's first in your pedal chain. (same thing)

I made this video to illustrate a bit of what I'm talking about. The guitar is a PRS PS that I call "Kingsley's Guitar" because it incorporates some tweaks to the DGT/McCarty Trem [sic] recipe that I worked out with Craig from CR Guitars. In the video I show how I work the two volume controls to create a wide variety of sounds.

Back