The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Do you... do you know my wife? Sounds like her :oops:

I don't. But some of them share the trait of being oh, so practical.

And you know they're going to outlive us. They know that, too.

"Survived by his wife..."

So they know every cent you save means a nicer old age home for them down the road. ;)

"Hey, that guitar you just spent $XXXX dollars on will be worth a bazillion dollars when I'm 93 if you save it."

"Yeah, but I'll be DEAD then. And think of what I blew on the kids' college tuition? How about if I have some fun now?"

Men of Earth, arise! Get your guitars and enjoy them while you still can!!! The sands of time are running out!!!

Last edited:
A comment on the Headstock shape - as the President of the DC Ted club for many years ;), I have had most of my DC 245's with Santana Headstocks (original PRS run, Willcutt's Wood Library Runs, my own Private Stocks), with the exception of my 408-equipped Aquamarine one, which I did with J-Birds and the PRS headstock in tribute to the Signature 408 guitar. (And later sort of regretted that, more so re the J-Birds.)

On this one, I thought I would be bummed about it not being "like a Ted" with the Santana Headstock. But now that I have it, not so, not at all! I really like it with the PRS headstock.

I think psychologically for me it has a lot to do with going to the Factory this week, and talking to Paul about the 594. This model for me for me captures everything great about the DC Ted, and takes it to the next level in that regard. The DC Ted in 2009 was cool with Santana Headstock in tipping the hat to the past (complete with a Grey-Black finish), but this new model does so even more so in other ways, that it doesn't need the Santana Headstock to be what it is. I dig that my Ted's and my MSC have the Santana Headstock, but I embrace this 594 openly with the "traditional" PRS headstock!

I fully plan on a MSC and a 594 in the near future and will go PS for those. My question is would PRS do a Santana headstock on the 594?

??ey Pete,
How many 594's to you currently have, not counting the two due in this week, and what are the colors of those already in your possession?

We less fortunate with few or no 594's yet want to know. ;)
Tanx,
s

Oh!, and the two due in this week...what colors are those?

Ooo, Ooo, and how many 594's have you traded or otherwise unloaded so far?

Dayam, Pete, it's hard keeping up with your bookkeeping, ya know. :)

I fully plan on a MSC and a 594 in the near future and will go PS for those. My question is would PRS do a Santana headstock on the 594?

I hear that's a negative.

When I was at the Private Stock Vault in March spec'ing a 594 PS, I preferred a Santana headstock for mine, from my LONG history with and love of the DC 245 Ted McCarty Model.

The issue was not that they do not want to do it, the issue was that they don't yet have a CNC configuration set up to do it, because the 24.594" scale length is brand new, and they only have the CNC configuration for that neck with the McCarty body neck joint, with a standard PRS Headstock.

When they don't have a CNC configuration for something in the Private Stock program, they will typically do it, there will just be a "CNC up-charge" added to the cost of the Private Stock, to cover the cost to them of that work. I had not encountered this before, as I had done many 24.5" scale Private Stocks in SC and DC formats, with Santana Headstocks, which all had CNC configurations already done for those.

The CNC up-charge was substantial enough such that I elected to move forward with the standard PRS headstock on mine. At first, I was a bit disappointed about that, since I was so used to (and attached to) the Santana Headstock on the DC 245's. But actually over time since then I am starting to get used to (and like and appreciate) the regular PRS headstock on this model.

I think it helps when you buy one or two of these per week, with regards to getting used to it! :)

Once someone pays for that CNC configuration, my understanding is that it becomes an orderable spec and available without an up-charge from that moment forward. That someone will likely not be me at this point...

(PRS Team - Feel free to chime in and comment, and/or correct me on anything.)

??ey Pete,
How many 594's to you currently have, not counting the two due in this week, and what are the colors of those already in your possession?

We less fortunate with few or no 594's yet want to know. ;)
Tanx,
s

Oh!, and the two due in this week...what colors are those?

Ooo, Ooo, and how many 594's have you traded or otherwise unloaded so far?

Dayam, Pete, it's hard keeping up with your bookkeeping, ya know. :)

Ha! Yes, tough to keep up, things happening fast and furious for me here with my 594's...

So when I posted the Gold Top Burst on Friday night, I said that I had inquired about it, and it was apparently sold. Well, that might have been a little misleading. I inquired about it, and THEN it was sold, to me! :)

N5D, 594 in Gold Top Burst!

IMG_0990_zps4pn1m7u0.jpg

66dbcc75-cd2a-454f-a451-5c75833809ea_zpsifdf3mos.jpg

IMG_0996_zps6gqlvj7b.jpg

The two coolest Opaque 594's on the planet!!
IMG_0997_zps8v9jipbh.jpg

This one-off finish was just too awesome to pass up!!

Looks incredible in person, and this one sounds terrific. Will post more thoughts later.

Another 594 coming tomorrow, I cannot disclose the finish until I get it in an make sure everything is fine with it, and that I am definitely going to keep it.

The Livingston Lemon is in with my tech this week getting Lollar Imperials thrown in there, that will be great fun to check another set of pickups in there and A/B them to the 5815 LT's, and to my b3 SL's with the same pickups! I also have a new set of Double-Cream Bare Knuckles Mules that I want to throw in one of these, but I am having challenges finding Pickup Rings that match the tone of Bare Knuckles' Cream Bobbins. (Suggestions welcome!)

(The Vintage Sunburst is also getting a setup and Ivoroid Tuner Knobs.)

Will be a fun week!

P.S. Bodia - Thanks for the kind trade offer on this one. Please send pics of the offered trade and I will get back to you with any questions. :)

Pete,
That gold top one-off is, as they say in Boston..."Wicked pissah"! ;)
Congratulations on that one as well.

These 594's have really made quite an impression on you Pete. I don't know anyone else who has been moved by a guitar design so much, that they forsake what they had, and convert so amazingly fast. Especially after acquiring one of the first 26 of these and letting it go for some Core models. To me, that defies gravity!
You are to be put on a pedestal and honored for the sacrifices you have made for this model.

Had it been anyone else, my initial thoughts would be that they need counseling. But in your case, you just need a few more 594's. :)

P.S. Bodia - Thanks for the kind trade offer on this one. Please send pics of the offered trade and I will get back to you with any questions. :)

Bah! She's got a bum wheel. I can't get anything for her right now. She can't even do the dishes, or iron my shirts! :p

Nice job on the recent acquisitions too. I love that one off!

When I was at the Private Stock Vault in March spec'ing a 594 PS, I preferred a Santana headstock for mine, from my LONG history with and love of the DC 245 Ted McCarty Model.

The issue was not that they do not want to do it, the issue was that they don't yet have a CNC configuration set up to do it, because the 24.594" scale length is brand new, and they only have the CNC configuration for that neck with the McCarty body neck joint, with a standard PRS Headstock.

When they don't have a CNC configuration for something in the Private Stock program, they will typically do it, there will just be a "CNC up-charge" added to the cost of the Private Stock, to cover the cost to them of that work. I had not encountered this before, as I had done many 24.5" scale Private Stocks in SC and DC formats, with Santana Headstocks, which all had CNC configurations already done for those.

The CNC up-charge was substantial enough such that I elected to move forward with the standard PRS headstock on mine. At first, I was a bit disappointed about that, since I was so used to (and attached to) the Santana Headstock on the DC 245's. But actually over time since then I am starting to get used to (and like and appreciate) the regular PRS headstock on this model.

I think it helps when you buy one or two of these per week, with regards to getting used to it! :)

Once someone pays for that CNC configuration, my understanding is that it becomes an orderable spec and available without an up-charge from that moment forward. That someone will likely not be me at this point...

(PRS Team - Feel free to chime in and comment, and/or correct me on anything.)

Thanks for the explanation!

Ha! Yes, tough to keep up, things happening fast and furious for me here with my 594's...

So when I posted the Gold Top Burst on Friday night, I said that I had inquired about it, and it was apparently sold. Well, that might have been a little misleading. I inquired about it, and THEN it was sold, to me! :)

N5D, 594 in Gold Top Burst!

IMG_0990_zps4pn1m7u0.jpg

66dbcc75-cd2a-454f-a451-5c75833809ea_zpsifdf3mos.jpg

IMG_0996_zps6gqlvj7b.jpg

The two coolest Opaque 594's on the planet!!
IMG_0997_zps8v9jipbh.jpg

This one-off finish was just too awesome to pass up!!

Looks incredible in person, and this one sounds terrific. Will post more thoughts later.

Another 594 coming tomorrow, I cannot disclose the finish until I get it in an make sure everything is fine with it, and that I am definitely going to keep it.

The Livingston Lemon is in with my tech this week getting Lollar Imperials thrown in there, that will be great fun to check another set of pickups in there and A/B them to the 5815 LT's, and to my b3 SL's with the same pickups! I also have a new set of Double-Cream Bare Knuckles Mules that I want to throw in one of these, but I am having challenges finding Pickup Rings that match the tone of Bare Knuckles' Cream Bobbins. (Suggestions welcome!)

(The Vintage Sunburst is also getting a setup and Ivoroid Tuner Knobs.)

Will be a fun week!

you little devil you :D
Congrats on yet another stunning addition to the new 594 dynasty

btw it seems there's a purple one still on the loose ;)

So, more time on the Gold Top Burst last night. WOW! It is a killer one. I think my two Opaques, the lowest cost PRS guitars I have purchased in a long time, might just be the best sounding 594's of the bunch! ;) They are all great, actually, but the Opaque ones are quite impressive.

I think I figured out why the Gold Top Burst sounds so great - if you look closely in the right light, you can see that PRS has sprinkled some blue magic pixie dust in the finish on the top:

IMG_0999_zpslmywvqst.jpg

IMG_1002_zpsjxzeittw.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsbxgv5zco.jpg

Brilliant!! Those guys at PRS rock! ;)

IMG_1004_zpsoqkntzh5.jpg

This guitar looks way better IMO with Amber knobs, just threw those on, as they just came in. Much more "Vintage" looking with those. Next upgrade is my Ivoroid Tuner upgrade! :)

Now that I have this one and I love it, time I think to consider something in the "Hot PAF" category of pickups for the Green Metallic, this one should stay vintage with the 5815 LT's, and the Green one can be the more "Hot" one, that seems to fit. ;) Something in the 9.5K Bridge range, that is about as hot as I will go in a pickup.

That seems like a good combination for a variety of great tones, one stock with 5815's (low output PAF's) and one 9.5K ("Hot" PAF's) for the Opaques, and one stock and one 8.4K (Medium "PAF"'S) for the 2 "Burst" Willcutt's Wood Library 594's.

This is really a tactic to be able to justify 4 594's with a straight face, but it is working gloriously for me in that regard! ;)

IMG_1004_zpsoqkntzh5.jpg

This guitar looks way better IMO with Amber knobs, just threw those on, as they just came in. Much more "Vintage" looking with those. Next upgrade is my Ivoroid Tuner upgrade! :)

Now that I have this one and I love it, time I think to consider something in the "Hot PAF" category of pickups for the Green Metallic, this one should stay vintage with the 5815 LT's, and the Green one can be the more "Hot" one, that seems to fit. ;) Something in the 9.5K Bridge range, that is about as hot as I will go in a pickup.

That seems like a good combination for a variety of great tones, one stock with 5815's (low output PAF's) and one 9.5K ("Hot" PAF's) for the Opaques, and one stock and one 8.4K (Medium "PAF"'S) for the 2 "Burst" Willcutt's Wood Library 594's.

This is really a tactic to be able to justify 4 594's with a straight face, but it is working gloriously for me in that regard! ;)

If you like the platform, having different pickups makes perfect sense to me, as well...but then you and I aren't married, to each other Pete. ;)

Back