The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I too have put Ivoroid buttons on my charcoal burst 594 and it looks fantastic. I know I made the decision not to go with the vintage looking McCarty Burst, which was my original intention, but I already have my 'Bear' (similar to the 'Hammer of the Gods'!) and a Lemon Burst LP, so I thought I'd break up the colours a bit. I have a sneaky feeling there may be a second 594 in my future though! Anyway, I digress from the reason for posting:

I bought PRS Ivoroid buttons to go on my Hollowbody II, which obviously fit fine. For the 594, I bought ivoroid buttons from Crazy Parts, thinking they were the same, but cheaper. When I put these on the 594, rather than fitting too closely, as has been the fear with the ebony ones, they actually didn't go fully down the 'stem' (whatever it's called; the bit that goes through the tuner button's hole). So I took the PRS-made ones off the HBII and they fit the 594 fine. Just to add confusion though; the Crazy Parts ivoroid buttons fit the HBII fine! The only conclusion I can draw is there is a slight difference between the spec of the standard phase 3 tuners and the tweaked ones on the 594.

There was another thread where someone had put ebony tuner buttons on the new "Tweaked Phase III Tuners" and he said that the buttons were fit to close to the headstock. Did you have any problem of that kind?

Yes, that was me. Was disappointed, but got over it. And they were PRS ebony knobs too. Strange, but they were just too close to the headstock, I took them off.

The ivory buttons look awesome Pete! (And Photobucket is working like a charm)

I too have put Ivoroid buttons on my charcoal burst 594 and it looks fantastic. I know I made the decision not to go with the vintage looking McCarty Burst, which was my original intention, but I already have my 'Bear' (similar to the 'Hammer of the Gods'!) and a Lemon Burst LP, so I thought I'd break up the colours a bit. I have a sneaky feeling there may be a second 594 in my future though! Anyway, I digress from the reason for posting:

I bought PRS Ivoroid buttons to go on my Hollowbody II, which obviously fit fine. For the 594, I bought ivoroid buttons from Crazy Parts, thinking they were the same, but cheaper. When I put these on the 594, rather than fitting too closely, as has been the fear with the ebony ones, they actually didn't go fully down the 'stem' (whatever it's called; the bit that goes through the tuner button's hole). So I took the PRS-made ones off the HBII and they fit the 594 fine. Just to add confusion though; the Crazy Parts ivoroid buttons fit the HBII fine! The only conclusion I can draw is there is a slight difference between the spec of the standard phase 3 tuners and the tweaked ones on the 594.

I absolutely agree - there is a difference in the stem size between the Phase III and Phase III tweaked. Apparently Ivory buttons might work with both, but others not. Weird!

FYI, there's a pretty good stock of 594s out in stores at this point. Just check out reverb.com and ebay.com where many dealers advertise, for example. And of course the Dealers in this forum.... Shop away!

FYI, there's a pretty good stock of 594s out in stores at this point. Just check out reverb.com and ebay.com where many dealers advertise, for example. And of course the Dealers in this forum.... Shop away!

Ordered one a few weeks ago and am already jonesing big time.

I would go with an ebony board artist version if I were to get one. I LOVE ebony board PRS guitars for the feel and sound. In fact, only one of my PRS has a rosewood board.

I would go with an ebony board artist version if I were to get one. I LOVE ebony board PRS guitars for the feel and sound. In fact, only one of my PRS has a rosewood board.

Well I'm thrilled with my Artist 594 and the ebony, but also am just mesmerized by those abalone inlays when light is reflecting off them.

Q for 594 owners: Does your guitar buzz if you're not touching the strings?

The reason I ask: There's a long-running thread over at TGP on the PRS 594. This post appeared today:

"I just got back from my PRS dealer of choice. Some of you remember me asking around about a buzzing that comes from the 594 when no metal parts of the guitar are being touched.

"We spoke directly to the PTC and it turns out that this is by design. Paul liked the sound better without the grounding wire on the back of the pickups. It's an easy fix if you want to do it.

"Also, we checked five of the 594s and all exhibited this behavior."

Is this accurate? =K

I would most certainly be a less offensive player if my fingers never touched the strings. I detect no buzz on the GOM 594.

Q for 594 owners: Does your guitar buzz if you're not touching the strings?

The reason I ask: There's a long-running thread over at TGP on the PRS 594. This post appeared today:

"I just got back from my PRS dealer of choice. Some of you remember me asking around about a buzzing that comes from the 594 when no metal parts of the guitar are being touched.

"We spoke directly to the PTC and it turns out that this is by design. Paul liked the sound better without the grounding wire on the back of the pickups. It's an easy fix if you want to do it.

"Also, we checked five of the 594s and all exhibited this behavior."

Is this accurate? =K

No, but I did forget to mute the strings when I finished playing the other day, and the last note of my solo was still going the next day. My dog was pissed!

Wow, busy thread over the last few days! Lots to comment on.

We could do a shoot out like that with another brand if you buy a Lollar High Wind bridge PU. :)

Yeah, we might be able to arrange that! ;)

I'm scheduled to pick up a core 594 tomorrow!!! Just a question, is there anybody playing these with 11's? All my guitars (2 DGT's and a PS DC 245) have 11's, and not sure I want to go "back" to 10's, especially if the 594 is as deadly as everyone says....
RonnieDRonnieD

I use .09-.42, D'Darrario NYXL's these days (love those!), so I can't help you with direct experience. But I would bet it would be great. The frets are McCarty Singlecut frets, basically DGT Frets with a flatter top (and your Ted/DC 245 likely has DGT frets as well). Obviously the 24.594" scale length is pretty close to the 245 scale length, I would bet it will seem similar to your DC 245...

The ivory buttons look awesome Pete! (And Photobucket is working like a charm)

Thanks! And thanks for the tip on PhotoBucket, I will use that going forward!

Well I'm thrilled with my Artist 594 and the ebony, but also am just mesmerized by those abalone inlays when light is reflecting off them.

Thanks everyone for the comments and input with regards to the Ebony boards. I am much more open to trying one now. That certainly makes the shopping more exciting, at least half of them out there these days seem to be Artist Packages!

I shipped my "Honey" 594 to my California apartment today, so I only have one at home now. Definitely need another one now! ;)

Wow! Here is the 594 in McCarty Tobacco. This one is a sold one from the UK.

1464700463-05927300.jpg

I dig that finish! I really like all the Vintage finishes, really matches this model, for me.

Actually, I think the more modern finishes look fantastic as well, Charcoal Burst, that new Blue/Green "River Green", Slate, etc. It's just that for me, the Vintage finishes really pull at my heart strings.

I wanted to share another thing with you guys with regards to my reaction to the 594. As many of you know, I have been a huge fan of the DC 245 Ted McCarty ever since the 2009 run of those, and that model has dominated my collection, and affection. Also the DC 245 has been my primary gigging guitar, over that time period. My band sort of dissolved in 2015, so I am not playing out currently, but had a great time 2009-2015 with my many DC 245's.

Over that time, I also felt the need/desire to also have some Singlecuts in the mix, SC 245's, SC 58's, and later the Private Stock McCarty Singlecuts. Also several Gibson R9's along the way. I did gig two different SC 58's, I enjoyed that, but when I look at pictures of those gigs I look at them and say to myself "those don't really look right on me"! I guess the notion for me at the time was that the DC 245 was the best short scale Doublecut, but that it wasn't quite enough to replace Singlecuts completely, for me. So I somehow felt that need to have Singlecuts in the collection to have all the tones covered, and have that complete collection.

I had a killer McCarty Singlecut Private Stock that I personally spec'ed. When I got the GOM PS 594 in March, I traded it for a great R9, which I enjoyed for the time I had it, it was the best R9 of many I had owned. It was great to have it to A/B against the GOM 594. (The GOM compared quite favorably!) When the Core 594's started shipping, I traded it for my Honey 594, and have no regrets on that trade.

Getting to the point, now with the 594, to me it *IS* the Singlecut, I no longer feel the need to have short scale Doublecut PRSi plus a Singlecut or two. I look at it now and think I would rather have another 594 versus a Singlecut of some sort! When I spec'ed the 594 Semi-Hollow I have in the oven now, I looked at doing a McCarty Singlecut with the 594 scale and the 594 specs. They wouldn't do it with the Santana Headstock like a McCarty Singlecut, without a significant upcharge for the CNC work for that, as they hadn't done one yet. (Same goes with the Doublecut 594 with a Santana Headstock, I was a bit bummed about that, but I think I am over that now, for the most part.) So I shelved that 594/MSC idea at the time, thinking I would come back and do that later.

But now I really don't have a strong desire for that. Maybe down the road I will do a Private Stock 24.594" PRS Singlecut for fun, but for now I don't feel the need. Also I had two great Historic Les Paul's that I recently traded for 594's, and I don't feel the need to replace anything in that category at this time either.

The 594 is just THAT good. It is the Singlecut that just happens to be a Doublecut. :)

If anyone wonders, the Hollowbody II case fits the 594 like a glove. I find this style of case much easier to store on my Hercules rack in my music room and to carry around, compared to the (stunning) rectangular case it comes with.

D09E4AB8-8346-44E6-B938-820301AE824D_zpssbzkouc8.jpg

A361AD18-7D47-4E0B-A150-BBE781569833_zpsqi1asdgk.jpg

Hey Gang! I picked up my core 594 from the Guitar Shop yesterday! OMG it's just great!! Same colour as yours too MA Pete (Tiger Eye I believe, it's not listed but that's what it looks like to me, and it looks very similar to yours in your earlier posts). I could've played this thing all day long there but had to pull myself away to do the deal and bring 'er home! I'm totally blown away with the whole deal, low turn pups, 2 volume, 2 tone, split-able, slightly thicker body and thicker neck. For the time being I'll stick with 10's, although my other guitars are strung with 11's (they're not stop tail though).
RonnieD

Congrats to you both! Welcome to the club.....

1464700463-05927300.jpg

I dig that finish! I really like all the Vintage finishes, really matches this model, for me.

Actually, I think the more modern finishes look fantastic as well, Charcoal Burst, that new Blue/Green "River Green", Slate, etc. It's just that for me, the Vintage finishes really pull at my heart strings.

I wanted to share another thing with you guys with regards to my reaction to the 594. As many of you know, I have been a huge fan of the DC 245 Ted McCarty ever since the 2009 run of those, and that model has dominated my collection, and affection. Also the DC 245 has been my primary gigging guitar, over that time period. My band sort of dissolved in 2015, so I am not playing out currently, but had a great time 2009-2015 with my many DC 245's.

Over that time, I also felt the need/desire to also have some Singlecuts in the mix, SC 245's, SC 58's, and later the Private Stock McCarty Singlecuts. Also several Gibson R9's along the way. I did gig two different SC 58's, I enjoyed that, but when I look at pictures of those gigs I look at them and say to myself "those don't really look right on me"! I guess the notion for me at the time was that the DC 245 was the best short scale Doublecut, but that it wasn't quite enough to replace Singlecuts completely, for me. So I somehow felt that need to have Singlecuts in the collection to have all the tones covered, and have that complete collection.

I had a killer McCarty Singlecut Private Stock that I personally spec'ed. When I got the GOM PS 594 in March, I traded it for a great R9, which I enjoyed for the time I had it, it was the best R9 of many I had owned. It was great to have it to A/B against the GOM 594. (The GOM compared quite favorably!) When the Core 594's started shipping, I traded it for my Honey 594, and have no regrets on that trade.

Getting to the point, now with the 594, to me it *IS* the Singlecut, I no longer feel the need to have short scale Doublecut PRSi plus a Singlecut or two. I look at it now and think I would rather have another 594 versus a Singlecut of some sort! When I spec'ed the 594 Semi-Hollow I have in the oven now, I looked at doing a McCarty Singlecut with the 594 scale and the 594 specs. They wouldn't do it with the Santana Headstock like a McCarty Singlecut, without a significant upcharge for the CNC work for that, as they hadn't done one yet. (Same goes with the Doublecut 594 with a Santana Headstock, I was a bit bummed about that, but I think I am over that now, for the most part.) So I shelved that 594/MSC idea at the time, thinking I would come back and do that later.

But now I really don't have a strong desire for that. Maybe down the road I will do a Private Stock 24.594" PRS Singlecut for fun, but for now I don't feel the need. Also I had two great Historic Les Paul's that I recently traded for 594's, and I don't feel the need to replace anything in that category at this time either.

The 594 is just THAT good. It is the Singlecut that just happens to be a Doublecut. :)

Pete. So happy to read this post.
I had about 15 r9's plus 3 of the first 60 Cloud 9 r9's among the many custom shop lp's and vintage lp's over more then a 50 year period.
This 594 I will be getting will be my first prs. Before deciding to try a prs, I was looking at a true historic lp.

Your post makes feel that I am doing the right thing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

594 upgrade today! New Ivoroid Tuner Knobs.

Looks great! Really helps to give it more of a Vintage look, especially in this finish. Really matches the binding color well.

In my opinion this model should ship with these to begin with...

IMG_0831_zps1dbi1c8x.jpg

IMG_0833_zpssshddj6o.jpg

IMG_0835_zpsi99xtyth.jpg

Along with getting these put on, also got a setup done, the action is much lower now and it plays and sounds even better!

I will add these on the Burnt Orange Wood Library 594 as well...

P.S. These photos are hosted from PhotoBucket, NOT Google Photos, so hopefully everyone can see them now! ;)
Really nice addition! Where can I get some, I think they would look great on my Artist 594 in copperhead finish.

1464700463-05927300.jpg

I really enjoyed reading this post!

You've obviously concentrated on the Classic Burst kind of sound, and you seem to be more focused on it.

You're less concerned about whether it has certain decoration and trim.

I may be jumping to conclusions here, but it appears to me that you've finally found the whole package, and the sound and playability are more compelling to you than some of the other stuff you used to need to have.

I think after much searching, you've found your musical home. It's a beautiful thing!

Last edited:
Back