The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, so we have this cool new model out, the McCarty 594. It is starting as the February 2016 Guitar of the Month for the 20th Anniversary Private Stock Guitar of the Month series - but I predict it will live on beyond that. Partially because I will likely make sure it does!! ;)

In my 8 years now of obsessing about, playing and gigging PRS guitars, there have been 2 major things for me that totally rocked my world, and I have a feeling this is going to be the third. The first was the Ted McCarty special run from 2009, that spawned the DC 245 Ted. That lived on beyond the initial run with 3 Willcutt's special Wood Library runs (thanks, Eric!!), several DC 245 Private Stocks that I personally spec'ed, as well as countless other DC 245 Private Stocks that other dealers and individuals did. To this day the DC 245 Ted is my favorite PRS model.

The second was the McCarty Singlecut Private Stock model in 2014. That to me totally nailed the "historic" Singlecut tones and vibe far better than any previous PRS SC model, and trust me, I had owned several of every one of those (SC 245's, Tremonti's, SCT's, SC 58's, SC Ted's, etc.). I started with two amazing MSC's from the PS run, and then spec'ed my own, which has become the "Holy Grail" Singlecut for me, amazing in tone, and in looks and vibe, likely to NEVER be outdone with ever a better PRS SC. Lifetime keeper!!

This McCarty 594 pulls on my heartstrings just like the MSC did when it first came out!

The 58/15 LT's sound amazing in the demos! The existing 58/15's are my favorite pickups yet, I am dying to try the "Low Turns" 58/15's out in this 594.

Interestingly enough, I was working on a DC 245 PS spec for an upcoming visit, and I was thinking of doing 2 volume and 2 tone controls, but wondered if that would be a little cramped in the control area, with the 4 knobs plus the 3-way down there. The 594 moves the 3-way to the upper horn, problem solved. At first I thought that looked a little weird, but now that I have watched the videos a couple of dozens of time, and have been obsessing over the pics, I am getting used to that look.

I also was thinking of spec'ing the two piece bridge, I almost did that on my Citrus Glow DC 245 Ted, but chickened out and did the stoptail to stay true to the original DC Ted formula. I am getting used to the look of that on a DC body as well. I dig the way it feels on the MSC, make sense to have it on a DC as well as long as it sounds great. (Cool re the new Bronze material!)

I look forward to checking out the 24.596" scale! I did get to play the 24.6" scale 20th Anniversary Private Stock briefly, it felt comfy like a DC 245, but I could tell it was a hair longer, which was fine. I think I could bond with that and go back and forth between the two. (I have no 25" PRSi, all 24.5" right now, plus the recent NGD of the 25.25" inch Brent Mason PS.)

Anyway, let's discuss the 594 here on this thread, should be some exciting times coming up with the 26 hitting dealers and getting into people's hands! I have one of the 26 on deposit, can't wait to check it out!

Also, I am headed to the Holy Land ("The Vault") next week, I might just have to spec my own unique McCarty 594, with a little of a DC Ted vibe going on... ;)

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo11.jpg

It'll probably be my next one down the road a piece, too.

Well, maybe more than a piece since I've got a lot covered with the McSC and the other stuff I already have.

To me, the 3 way on the upper bout rattles my optic nerve. It's the nice curvy part of the shape I like most plus sometimes I grab the upper bout and the switch would get in the way. Lose one of the volume controls and put the 3 way down there. Otherwise I like everything else about it.

I love most of it...but not being a LP ergonomics guy, nit diggin the pickup selector location either ergonomically ot aesthetically either.

If I PS'd one, I'd keep it to 1V 1T but I'd do signature/408 switching with mini-toggles. I'd keep everything else. Quilt top. Dragon's Breath Glow. Mmmmmmm....

I love the upper bout switch! Not only is it convenient as heck - I can see it there without having to feel around for it - but it adds a controversial flair that just kinda messes with PRS guys' expectations a little.

;)

To me, the 3 way on the upper bout rattles my optic nerve. It's the nice curvy part of the shape I like most plus sometimes I grab the upper bout and the switch would get in the way. Lose one of the volume controls and put the 3 way down there. Otherwise I like everything else about it.

Is this better? ;)

oWulQqrf2PzbiWUGfCfWOfb4HJvPI2KIny3NxB7ISNWZqrg3cUqCVg86rNJp4E4RIuj9KLf_sH-3K_AnA7LABvjbeBQM3OqFEhm7r5ExPLkXnW6_GlSlqJMW6SDQel52OA9EvJrBDv87Qos_sGB0lIJoL3ICVgNOfAaf1nsgGvXtutzeGc6H7DwBcWoJHQ8YJKCE-gJR0R-LMsOjcgYNvQJPkqL3WmvcIz76l1OIsRAygC_DminzgtuRmQaDs8wrWMb16Zu-kN9DIWkg1Vo1yWy4tx_thxV5BEpxe3-xl5vmp4N311DE14z89REFFbSKZqtOmRcJCuAV-pv11UGXt4xWvBwTiXz8lhr7JQJb8RxJXP35LSBezE5Vvp-gwUzmCiLkIKKEFjndyd5HmIeDCTIyTFYOf3IGh1WHnE1szqe-Yi1lPvW--u5cVYE3R6fyrAt8pn_xiQ_SgCms9GBVkJx7-LrPoURzx8N9WGljSOlgFP-umtpeC_Eef_WDkGzJfTun5rRwcv4Y9xrR4haUtZ2KKSmTPXTRIH8hNBzOMRBFwsnLMYelkMlkaTELQZksDDGl=w614-h819-no

(DC 245 Ted Private Stock with DGT Controls...)

Last edited:
I don't find any issue with the switch on the upper bout. Reminds me of the Peavey and EVH Wolfgang guitars.

I'd love one of these but my wallet says NOPE!

I'm a bit confused about the layout of 2V 2T controls they look similar to the LP layout
But should function like the 245's? That way the neck volume is placed behind the tone diagonally which is the first knob on the bottom row right?
Am I seeing this wrong?:confused:

My exact thoughts!!!

The only thing I don't like about this is the toggle switch location. But I rarely use the bridge pickup so it wouldnt really be that big of a problem.

The price tag on the other hand....

This guitar is pushing my buttons. Might need to figure out how to get "LT'd"!

Anyone know if the Vol/Vol are classic or DGT wired?

I dunno.........I was a bit that way myself, a little like with the squabbins and the open backed Phase 3 tuners, but like them it's grown on me in a good way.

Back