The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Uh... sucks.. if I knew this earlier u woulda jumped on it sooner....

Does anyone have experience with this? What are approx wait times for one of these?

I've been seeing 8 months as the normal wait time, but could be less or more depending on the build. Good thing is, your patience will be rewarded. What specs did you order?

If there's a 594 club I guess I'm in it by default, but I'm REALLY waiting for the rosewood tuner button club. Now THAT's a club I can get behind, clean bathrooms or no...

I've been seeing 8 months as the normal wait time, but could be less or more depending on the build. Good thing is, your patience will be rewarded. What specs did you order?

Nothing fancy, just a 10t in faded whale blue.

I guess it's better to know that they take the time to craft these instruments rather than machine gun them out with lesser quality.

Hard to believe these have been out for over two years now!

I have been favoring my CU22 for the last year or so, and spending a lot of time with a new S-type I have in the works. However, I plugged in the 594 this weekend for the first time in a while and I'll be darned if it didn't still blow me away.

I have been favoring my CU22 for the last year or so, and spending a lot of time with a new S-type I have in the works. However, I plugged in the 594 this weekend for the first time in a while and I'll be darned if it didn't still blow me away.
Just read this post after pulling my 594 out of its case for the 1st time in over 3 months and had the same reaction as you! Just finished a gig using nothing but an NF3 which I had been playing a lot these last few months. Now the NF 3 will go away for a while (but I love it just as much - just haven't figured out how to play both at the same time.

Great to hear but... Still waiting for mine...... err

If there's a 594 club I guess I'm in it by default, but I'm REALLY waiting for the rosewood tuner button club. Now THAT's a club I can get behind, clean bathrooms or no...

How are you and your 594 getting along now Ray?

How are you and your 594 getting along now Ray?
Sadly, I’m not. I loved the way it played and sounded, but I had some really serious discomfort issues playing it that I tried dealing with for a few months but just couldn’t get past. I play seated about 99% of the time these days, and the the leg cut on the 594 is farther to the left (toward the neck) than in any guitar I’ve ever had. This caused me trouble easily reaching the upper frets and with my picking position too - I was constantly hitting the neck pickup with my pick.

Didn’t seem like a big deal at first - I thought I’d adapt and I kind of did. But those adaptations caused me to fatigue and sometimes resulted in a sore back. Bottom line, I found myself playing the guitar for 10-15 minutes and then grabbing something different I could comfortably play for an hour or two. So I finally gave up on solving this problem and sold it. I replaced it with an Ibanez semi-hollow with a leg cut much farther back. I don’t like it quite as much in some ways, but I like it plenty and I can play it comfortably for as long as I want.

I’d never experienced anything like this and it really took me by surprise. If I was still in my 20s and played standing up 90% of the time, it would have been a non-issue. But I’m not and it was a problem I couldn’t get past...

-Ray

Sadly, I’m not. I loved the way it played and sounded, but I had some really serious discomfort issues playing it that I tried dealing with for a few months but just couldn’t get past. I play seated about 99% of the time these days, and the the leg cut on the 594 is farther to the left (toward the neck) than in any guitar I’ve ever had. This caused me trouble easily reaching the upper frets and with my picking position too - I was constantly hitting the neck pickup with my pick.

Didn’t seem like a big deal at first - I thought I’d adapt and I kind of did. But those adaptations caused me to fatigue and sometimes resulted in a sore back. Bottom line, I found myself playing the guitar for 10-15 minutes and then grabbing something different I could comfortably play for an hour or two. So I finally gave up on solving this problem and sold it. I replaced it with an Ibanez semi-hollow with a leg cut much farther back. I don’t like it quite as much in some ways, but I like it plenty and I can play it comfortably for as long as I want.

I’d never experienced anything like this and it really took me by surprise. If I was still in my 20s and played standing up 90% of the time, it would have been a non-issue. But I’m not and it was a problem I couldn’t get past...

-Ray

Sadly, that means you'll have the same problem with nearly all PRS guitars. :(

Sadly, that means you'll have the same problem with nearly all PRS guitars. :(
Yeah, I know. I could play the Silver Sky but I already have a Strat I love. If the Silver Sky ever comes in a hardtail version with a maple fretboard, I’d be REAL interested, but I’m not holding my breath...

My understanding is Les Pauls are cut very much the same as most PRS models. I played a Les knockoff when I was a kid with no problems, but I played standing nearly all the time and I was so skinny the seated thing probably wouldn’t have been a problem either. But today, it’s a problem...

-Ray

Yeah, I know. I could play the Silver Sky but I already have a Strat I love. If the Silver Sky ever comes in a hardtail version with a maple fretboard, I’d be REAL interested, but I’m not holding my breath...

My understanding is Les Pauls are cut very much the same as most PRS models. I played a Les knockoff when I was a kid with no problems, but I played standing nearly all the time and I was so skinny the seated thing probably wouldn’t have been a problem either. But today, it’s a problem...

-Ray

You should also get along with the Brent Mason, NF3, and DC3. They're all the same body shape. Or an EG 3 or 4 should also suit.

You should also get along with the Brent Mason, NF3, and DC3. They're all the same body shape. Or an EG 3 or 4 should also suit.
Some of those seem to have a more strat like leg cut location, although it's hard to tell with the EG models. But I'm really fine for strat type guitars. I love my Fender. I'd be open to the Silver Sky, but I really don't want to go back to blocking and dealing with tremolos when I have a hardtail I love.

What I was really looking for from a PRS, and which the 594 filled the bill for, was an insanely great double humbucker hardtail along the lines of a Les Paul, but I wasn't too particular about it being solid body. I'd already had an Ibanez semi-hollow I loved, figured I'd go all in and try the 594, which I'd never seen another guitar get such consistent rave reviews as. And, man, it lived up to all the hype and more. I was aware of the issue I had with it pretty quickly, but since I'd never experienced it before, I just didn't take it seriously - I was sure I'd adapt to it or could overcome it. After a few months, I realized I was wrong. I bought it used but still had a return period. In retrospect I should have returned it for a full refund, but I was just nowhere near ready to give up on it at that point - it hadn't even occurred to me that I might. Once I realized I wasn't gonna be able to make it work, there was a relative glut of used 594s so I took a bit of a hit when I sold it. But because I'd bought it used, the first owner took the bulk of the depreciation and I didn't lose much. And my replacement (Ibanez Scofield model) was about 1/3 the price of the used 594, so I still came out fine. And it is an incredible guitar in it's own right. I'd say it plays as well as the 594 in a slightly different way. It doesn't objectively sound quite as amazing, without some of the subtle qualities of the 594 sound (that I've tried to describe in the past and failed). But OTOH it's got some of it's own semi-hollow mojo that's a really good fit for me too. So I came out of it smelling pretty good. But I really wish I could have made that 594 work, it was gonna be a lifetime guitar but instead it was about a four month guitar... Oh well, best laid plans and all that...

-Ray

I just saw this thread
Sorry I missed out

I love Mc594s! Some of the fiddles on my dream list are Mc594s!

I want an SC and a DC stock but, also the SC with customization that I've mentioned before

Every time the case opens.

8V613OO.jpg
What a beauty!!

about a year ago I bought a PRS 594 single cut, it was amazing, I really enjoyed it, but I played a Les Paul high-performance 2016 model and I had to have it. so I had to sell two or three guitars to get that. so I sold the 594 single cut, assuming the Les Paul would fill in the gap. the Les Paul is excellent very happy with it. the axcess neck/heel cut, is genius, the coil slitting the out of phase switch, strong burst buckers, quite excellent absolutely no regrets that guitar is a permanent centerpiece in the stable. but the joy of the 594 remained in my brain, the coil taps, the string clarity, the picking dynamics, the flawless intonation, have haunted me, I missed them. so I decided to save up and go for another 594, the previous singlecut 594 had some minor issues, for me, Frets 20 through 22, definitely harder to get to on the single cut. additionally I bought the absolute lowest grade $2999 version. and decided that I want to experiment with an artist grade, or wood library. and I definitely want to the double cut for that easy high fret access.
so without further ado I stumbled across a perfect wood library double cut, additionally I've never had a green quilt top which was one of my dream guitars.
this just arrived today I've been playing it for several hours it is definitely one or two levels above the previous 594 I wouldn't mind discussing why the wood library guitar, is so blowing my mind, I do believe the maple neck is responsible for these amazing tones and harmonics that are taking me to nirvana. but of course it's probably the striped mahogany body also the Brazilian rosewood fretboard all of the wood library combined. I am in awe of the instrument. I am literally a drooling idiot with the guitar tones. I just can't believe how much better than the core model it is, which was still one of the better guitars that I ever played, the high mids on this guitar the ability to bite or not bite with my picking style, whatever tone you think of just comes right out of the guitar.

Quilt extraordinaire
QY75fuQ.jpg

flame maple neck dream
xM82gFZ.jpg

the stained back I always wanted
P4An3r3.jpg

brazzy board I wish I could get the iridescent green birds, but I've got 99% of the dream guitar.
rZYoAtn.jpg
The neck on this is just killer man!

The last couple of new 594s were really nice looking, especially the color of Shawn's double cut!

Here's my 594 dc in faded whale blue, which i've posted before but my photo bucket links all died. Since the last post, I've had the PTC change out the bridge pickup again from the covered 59/09 (which sounded very similar to the 57/08 I have in my SC 58) to the HFS; I chose the HFS because I no longer had a guitar with that pickup and wanted something a bit more aggressive as a counterpoint to my SC 58. I'm loving the results.

IsDABQG.jpg
Interesting choice for a bridge pup...

Just joined the 594 club! The toggle switch in the upper horn initially bugged me, but after playing this goegeous instrument....noting else seems to care. Top is an artist grade top in faded blue whale

UVKNjQXolNle0KkGY_1tRG4skD7lWN0RKrHXxfCU9qRuzbD_clde3AenH9k4UcDjeeUJ-MOkX_fL647VqtbK_epWFJaTyLVCCjJID8AbgabGn4l_4JyZJoacXFeVKWxxEWxFJgFI6Lb2toBeCXxWi4A-6N1hZ-j5QENPfiuCdtzvp47jOnFMsBeMqrqgiQumRkE-TU4h4zEeLi5JdVbU9Nl7UrLz5u38LvX9sxwQgHpX9SRkzXARK6npgSuo66WIkcHr1pl7OU1czF2XMhi9YaC20is763SsuODATjKkbzG9ke1xNuUoS5308uuAsE2j8l5eJtjpMt4QtjjFhyD7flS5Ro4uHPl0NfrrWmotsYLL8wDBHX-s7i2NSc2iyGoBbZeXDC3Ao8HUYjl09fFwEDqztfNl-Arz8JtFdhsNIC2OlmqYz9Y0WJKqxwEsgGUvtOl7qvOvp54qjfdNC_O1VIQOv-iwCDjxYUDr8icubsYFojszDY1l0HP2xqRwC7a6GR1FDJ3QFkDm3cfiHcxf1YEXER6K_WicXXIo7bTytDDP3G6bjVHSsQlsZeqZrNDm7d-9L8myjGsOg9BdFo6OQxddlJh606SvEQ9Bv9qAOIHVVcuGqNtPu2XmSHvI6Gj9k5vfkGAhsBqhK8NpsUbbGqV8EhkyaQw=w296-h640-no

AF1QipOqkNb5QvaAVHcj14Z2EzIBJOmM2c9Ej2wvIjw7

Back