The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Oh my stars... @cubby61 CRAZY congratulations to you! I've drooled incoherently over that instrument since it was originally posted. It's so magnificent that I've run out of fresh adjectives.

Very nice! how are you liking the semi hollow tone versus solid body?

I just joined the 594 club today. I saw it at Brian's Guitars and couldn't leave without it. My first Private Stock. It's a 594 with a Quilted Maple top in Sub Zero Glow Smoked Burst with a Black Limba back with matching plates, semi-hollow (no F hole). The neck is Korina with the 12th fret bird inlay on the heel. The inlays are Chrysocolla birds with Mother of Pearl outlines. The hardware is Black/Smoked Chrome.
594-1.jpg

594-2.jpg

594-4.jpg

594-5.jpg

So hot! Congrats!

I haven't played it enough to know yet. I have a HB II and JA-15 which are both hollowbodies and Sig Ltd and 513 which are solid. Without the f hole I'm guessing this will be more of a solid sound with weight relief. I don't know if the semi-hollow will make a lot of difference but I'm sure enjoying the weigh or lack thereof. But the 58/15 LT pickups add a new element to that so I'll be glad when I can spend some time figuring it all out.

So I played it a little last night and I was surprised just how great and versatile this guitar is. I have watched every video review I could find prior to deciding to buying a 594 but they don't do it justice. I am playing though a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:35 and a 2x12 Mesa Lone Star cabinet. The 58/15LT pickups have really surprised me. In the Clean channel with very little gain I swear I am getting some very acoustic-like tones. Maybe it's the semi-hollow body but it's very clean, pure and almost acoustic like sound. Switching to the Fat channel I start hearing the jazzy type sounds. A little more bass but still quite clean and clear. Going to the xtreme mode and spinning the volumes up towards 10 and now I have a mean growling beast. In the Crunch position with the tone knobs pulled up and the coil-taps engaged I get a little bit of Strat like honking. Not a Strat replacement by any means but still a quite nice sound. All in all I find the 594 to be very versatile and has became my favorite guitar. My 513 might have more sounds but the neck profile is what made me decide I had to have the 594 and it is still the most comfortable neck profile of any of my guitars.

So it was a long answer to simply say, I think the semi-hollow body really makes a difference in tone. A positive difference.

Last edited:
I came up with a question I'm hoping some of you can answer. I have always liked hanging my guitars on the wall. If they're seen they will be heard. If I leave them in the case I will tend to gravitate to the one that's out and play that one. I have really enjoyed the DiamondLife system for hanging my guitars but the 594 has a Nitro finish and I've been reading where the foam/rubber on the hangers can mess up the finish. Can anyone confirm that or educate me about this. If true, what alternatives are available that won't hurt the finish?

Family photo showing the hanging system. :)
collection2017.jpg

Wrap a piece of an old T-shirt on the hanger between the neck and the hanger.

So I played it a little last night and I was surprised just how great and versatile this guitar is. I have watched every video review I could find prior to deciding to buying a 594 but they don't do it justice. I am playing though a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:35 and a 2x12 Mesa Lone Star cabinet. The 58/15LT pickups have really surprised me. In the Clean channel with very little gain I swear I am getting some very acoustic-like tones. Maybe is't the semi-hollow body but it's very clean, pure and almost acoustic like sound. Switching to the Fat channel I start hearing the jazzy type sounds. A little more bass but still quite clean and clear. Going to the xtreme mode and spinning the volumes up towards 10 and now I have a mean growling beast. In the Crunch position with the tone knobs pulled up and the coil-taps engaged I get a little bit of Strat like honking. Not a Strat replacement by any means but still a quite nice sound. All in all I find the 594 to be very versatile and has became my favorite guitar. My 513 might have more sounds but the neck profile is what made me decide I had to have the 594 and it is still the most comfortable neck profile of any of my guitars.

So it was a long answer to simply say, I think the semi-hollow body really makes a difference in tone. A positive difference.
Cool! I find the pattern vintage neck carve to be my favorite by far. Some of the older wide/fat a close second - the SCT ME I is just perfect for me, but I like the slight V carve of PV a bit better. I agree with you on the coil taps - I like using the neck in tap with some nice crunch. 594s are such a joy to play.

I have a love/hate relationship with semi-hollow. Both had f holes and I end up moving on from both after a few months. Haven't tried one with a solid top though.

I came up with a question I'm hoping some of you can answer. I have always liked hanging my guitars on the wall. If they're seen they will be heard. If I leave them in the case I will tend to gravitate to the one that's out and play that one. I have really enjoyed the DiamondLife system for hanging my guitars but the 594 has a Nitro finish and I've been reading where the foam/rubber on the hangers can mess up the finish. Can anyone confirm that or educate me about this. If true, what alternatives are available that won't hurt the finish?

Family photo showing the hanging system. :)
collection2017.jpg
Nice family! Soon you'll need to move on from the Taylor for a PS Angelus - you'll thank me later (your wallet not so much)! :rolleyes:

Great report, I was dying to know how it was performing for you. We're in the same tonal wheelhouse. Cheers!

Cool! I find the pattern vintage neck carve to be my favorite by far.

I'd like to put this on a billboard somewhere downtown.

I have a love/hate relationship with semi-hollow. Both had f holes and I end up moving on from both after a few months. Haven't tried one with a solid top though.

Right there with you.

Full disclosure: I am not fond of f-holes, personally. Love the tone, don't get me wrong, it's just the aesthetic. Feel free to break out the torches and pitchforks.

Great report, I was dying to know how it was performing for you. We're in the same tonal wheelhouse. Cheers!

I'd like to put this on a billboard somewhere downtown.

Right there with you.

Full disclosure: I am not fond of f-holes, personally. Love the tone, don't get me wrong, it's just the aesthetic. Feel free to break out the torches and pitchforks.

I laughed out loud on the billboard comment!

First I liked pattern regular the best
Then I liked pattern the best
Now I like pattern vintage the best!
Which means whatever new neck carve they'll come out with next I'll clearly be a sucker for it! Or at least my wallet will be - oooh, wait, does it come in blue!?!?

Also I see I forgot to type that I tried 2 different SH Guitars in the past. First was Exp LTD SH with 408s and trem. Liked it at first, but later on not so much. Also found that particular pattern neck was larger than the pattern neck I had on a PS - different day when they were sanded I guess.

Next was the PS SC594 SH - I liked it better than the previous one, but gave up on it for multiple reasons. Now I'm scared of trying a SH again and being permanently barred from the SH club!

Nice family! Soon you'll need to move on from the Taylor for a PS Angelus - you'll thank me later (your wallet not so much)! :rolleyes:
The Taylor is a 914ce and I really like it. I was looking at a 600 series but my wife said she liked the Cindy inlay on the fretboard and thought it was pretty and said I should get it. Who was I to argue?

When I was at Brian's guitars last week, he had a PS Angelus and I have never seen or played one before so I thought what the heck. I must say I wasn't all that impressed. We all know that guitars are very individual instruments and what appeals to one might not to another. One thing I like about most PRS owners is that they seem to get this. Whether it be the model, the level (SE,S2,Core,PS) the color or the options, the PRS family seems to be extremely enthusiastic towards what anyone likes. That's very hard to find in other brands (Gibson cough, cough). So back to the Angelus. It sounded nice, it played well. There was no doubt this was a quality instrument. But the feel and sound just didn't make me feel like my Taylor does. That being said, I did just buy a 2017 Alex Lifeson SE acoustic guitar to do most of my acoustic practicing on. The Taylor is great but something about accidentally dinging or scratching up a $5000 guitar was just haunting me. I wanted something I could be a little less careful with and still enjoy. For the price, the SE- Alex Lifeson was an easy decision. It plays beautifully and I love how thin it is. Plus after I bought it everyone put it on sale for $120 less so I got my refund and I am even happier.

I'm also looking at the new SE Custom 24 Exotic Top - Zebra Wood guitars. I have all Artist package and now a PS electrics and the same decision about keeping them in nice shape is in the back of my mind. I am thinking one of these might do for me what the SE-AL is which is for primary practicing.

The Taylor is a 914ce and I really like it. I was looking at a 600 series but my wife said she liked the Cindy inlay on the fretboard and thought it was pretty and said I should get it. Who was I to argue?

When I was at Brian's guitars last week, he had a PS Angelus and I have never seen or played one before so I thought what the heck. I must say I wasn't all that impressed. We all know that guitars are very individual instruments and what appeals to one might not to another. One thing I like about most PRS owners is that they seem to get this. Whether it be the model, the level (SE,S2,Core,PS) the color or the options, the PRS family seems to be extremely enthusiastic towards what anyone likes. That's very hard to find in other brands (Gibson cough, cough). So back to the Angelus. It sounded nice, it played well. There was no doubt this was a quality instrument. But the feel and sound just didn't make me feel like my Taylor does. That being said, I did just buy a 2017 Alex Lifeson SE acoustic guitar to do most of my acoustic practicing on. The Taylor is great but something about accidentally dinging or scratching up a $5000 guitar was just haunting me. I wanted something I could be a little less careful with and still enjoy. For the price, the SE- Alex Lifeson was an easy decision. It plays beautifully and I love how thin it is. Plus after I bought it everyone put it on sale for $120 less so I got my refund and I am even happier.

I'm also looking at the new SE Custom 24 Exotic Top - Zebra Wood guitars. I have all Artist package and now a PS electrics and the same decision about keeping them in nice shape is in the back of my mind. I am thinking one of these might do for me what the SE-AL is which is for primary practicing.

Normally I try not to stir the pot but couldn't resist being a bit cheeky - sorry if this came off poorly (my humor is suspect to begin with).
That said, Taylors have a very defined, clear mid-heavy (to my ears) sound that obviously players love and with good reason, especially with how they sit in a mix. They always play very, very well. For my ears I prefer the McManus. But as you said far more eloquently, to each their own!

I was a huge Taylor fan-boy, had several different models over about a 20 year period. Met Paul at a clinic and played the Tony McManus model and poof! Sold all my Taylors (5 at the time) the next day. They all sounded 'tinny' compared to the McManus which was more of a Steinway grand piano sound if that makes sense. Don't know if the McManus is different than the regular Angelus, but mine has Cocobolo B&S, Bearclaw Euro Spruce top, Peruvian Mahogany neck and Ebony board. Before that I gravitated toward hog/cedar or maple/spruce from Taylor - never bonded with their rosewood models...

I think the SE line, both electric and acoustic offer phenomenal value for the money - can't go wrong with either. I saw an SE SC exotic top that I'd love to acquire, but they already sold out of the run - oh well!

I also have other acoustics from a luthier on the Big Island of Hawaii and I love his for very different reasons. As you said, part of the equation is how these instruments make you feel and that will always be unique to each one of us! I tried some Preston Thompson old growth Braz wood (his 'shipwrecked' ones) models that were fabulous but cost 2x what I paid for my McManus. Maybe some day....though they rarely come up used.

Cheers!

I’ve had several Taylor 800 and 900 series guitars, and they’re quite nice, but I think WA Paul is right on the money in his tone description.

The PRS PS acoustics (I have a Tonare in maple with Adirondack spruce top) are 9 foot concert grands, whereas a Taylor with its more shimmery but thinner sound, is more of an upright piano. What I mean is, the PRSes go full-range, and support all the frequencies with a stronger fundamental note, where the Taylors accentuate the higher harmonics.

That isn’t to say the Taylors aren’t good; in fact, they’re terrific guitars. All of us simply have different preferences. Some prefer the more jangly sound of the Taylor acoustics. I’m good with that!

When I heard my first Collings, I immediately sold of my Taylor 900; it seemed too thin in comparison. And when I heard my first PRS acoustic, I sold the Collings to get one. I like its overall balance, top to bottom, as well as its room-filling power.

One interesting side story; on my trip to the PRS factory two years ago at the 30th Anniversary Event, I met the guys in the acoustic building area. I waxed enthusiastic about the guitar, and like a complete mug, pulled out a pic of my guitar on my phone.

“I remember building that guitar! Are you Les?”

I was astounded. The head of the acoustic department not only remembered the guitar, he knew who it was being built for nearly two years later. And I assure you we’d never met before.

That was pretty damn cool. And it’d never happen at most shops.

Back