The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

These things are just as much fun to work on as they are to play. My appreciation of the design really continues to grow with time, and I'm absolutely delighted with the hardware. All I really know for sure is that one just isn't enough...

tU976gH.jpg

Last edited:
.....a funny thing happened on the way to work today?? No, seriously....I currently own two amazing PS 594's (one I bought from Pete, and the other was an identical GOTM that is heaven), but I'm gigging a lot more these days and thought "I'd love just an all black (think "Black Beauty") production version (rather than all the beautiful candy finishes out there) to take out with me"....and there are NONE...NONE!....they're not offered?!? Until this week I spotted one at Ray Mullin Music and just had to have it (it's the very first, apparently?)...stunningly cool with a black satin finish. Modern meets vintage...can't wait for her to arrive this Thursday!

What a Beauty!

.....a funny thing happened on the way to work today?? No, seriously....I currently own two amazing PS 594's (one I bought from Pete, and the other was an identical GOTM that is heaven), but I'm gigging a lot more these days and thought "I'd love just an all black (think "Black Beauty") production version (rather than all the beautiful candy finishes out there) to take out with me"....and there are NONE...NONE!....they're not offered?!? Until this week I spotted one at Ray Mullin Music and just had to have it (it's the very first, apparently?)...stunningly cool with a black satin finish. Modern meets vintage...can't wait for her to arrive this Thursday!

Dude! That's a hottie, for sure!

None more black! Very, very cool.

Very sleek!

I never posted mine in this thread. I love the 594, the neck is perfect. Really want a trem with a rosewood neck.

Laguna - light at 7lbs 3 oz, but quite the tone monster

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sandstorm dragon's breath 1 piece quilt with SC thickness - closer to SC sound, but still missing that 5% Pete alluded to. Switched to 57/08 bridge for more oomph.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Etched birds

image.jpg

this is amazing

..."my guitar arrived a day early!!", said no one ever. But mine did...Wow UPS...right in the middle of recovery from "Irma" here in Orlando, you turned a 2-day delivery into an overnight deliver!! (and seriously, I've bought a ton of guitars over the years and none ever arrived a day early). And hats off to Amos at Ray Mullin Music for his killer service and assistance...much appreciated...this thing is stunningly cool looking and plays like a dream!

THAT IS KILLER.

True black silk

Q for 594 owners: Does your guitar buzz if you're not touching the strings?

The reason I ask: There's a long-running thread over at TGP on the PRS 594. This post appeared today:

"I just got back from my PRS dealer of choice. Some of you remember me asking around about a buzzing that comes from the 594 when no metal parts of the guitar are being touched.

"We spoke directly to the PTC and it turns out that this is by design. Paul liked the sound better without the grounding wire on the back of the pickups. It's an easy fix if you want to do it.

"Also, we checked five of the 594s and all exhibited this behavior."

Is this accurate? =K

My 594 buzz if i not touch the strings. Can be fixed? How?

Totally normal. You can reduce the noise by shielding the electronics cavity.

Shielding paint is pricey, but easy to use. I don't know why PRS quit using it. The RF noise can be quite annoying.

If you shield with copper tape, be careful because the ends will slice your fingers up.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin..._Electronics_and_Wiring/Guitar_Shielding.html
I have shield my les paul with cooper tape, no problem with that :) I suspect about that!!!

Thank you for your help!

Question for you guys. Can these guitars along with the 58/15 LT pickups do high gain really well?

I love how these guitars look but the low output PU have been making me curious.

I play about 50% metal and the rest will be anything from blues to ballads.

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to buy one soon.

Thanks!

Question for you guys. Can these guitars along with the 58/15 LT pickups do high gain really well?

I love how these guitars look but the low output PU have been making me curious.

I play about 50% metal and the rest will be anything from blues to ballads.

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to buy one soon.

Thanks!
I now have a couple of guitars with these pickups. These pickups are pretty low output, so you will really hear primarily the gain sound of your amp, which can be very nice! As long as your amp has the gain necessary, as you will have to turn it up more than usual. Still, I'm not sure that you will be satisfied with these pickups when playing 50% metal. There is a noticeable difference. I also have the 58/15 NON-LT, and these are noticeably higher gain and I'd be more comfortable in them getting you where you need to be.

Kevin

Back