The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by MA Pete, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

I was right there with you at first, they're just cover plates. It became an issue for me because they were all scratched up on a brand new in the box guitar, they came that way from PRS. When I found out replacing them would cost me $35 for 15 cents worth of some of the cheapest plastic available I decided to use the whole thing to my advantage and customize.

I also agree that there are aesthetically attractive and unattractive ways of doing it, but done right it will be a nice upgrade and add some personalization and uniqueness to my guitar. For what it's worth there's a huge aesthetic difference between ebony and cheap plastic to my eyes because I really appreciate fine craftsmanship.

To each his own :)

#1601 Guitpicky, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

I'm also happy I got the DC for similar reasons. I don't think I sacrificed anything tone wise tho, it sounds better than any of the other PRS guitars I was able to try out.

3. flux

flux 594 & CU24

Usually I don't either. In all my travels I've only "upgraded" one cavity cover, and that was solely for kicks back when I could buy parts at dealer cost. Most of the time with trem-equipped guitars, the cover and screws live in my parts cache anyway to facilitate quick tension adjustments when necessary. I'm just contemplating a little vanity fun now since no other instrument has put such a smile on my face.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

And there's no reason you shouldn't!

However if the covers were scratched right out of the box, I'm pretty sure PRS would replace them under the warranty. They're great about things like that.

5. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

Except they wouldn't. I suppose I could have whined a lot and pressed the point but I decided to go a better way. I like turning lemons into lemonade. It would have just been replacing crap with crap anyway :)

6. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

Something like this. I've never even thought about it before and I'm not even considering doing it with my Les Paul but it's a bit of vanity that drove me to buy a $5k guitar in the first place. The only difference between the regular 594 and Wood Library or Artist packages is looks. I have no misgivings about making it a little more of what I want in my one and only vanity electric guitar. It's my guitar, my money, my vanity and I'll own all of it proudly :)

If it weren't for vanity PRS would only have to make one guitar in one color in a standard model with no options.

dogrocketp likes this.
  7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Except the various models do all sound different. Many of them have different scale lengths, wood, and feel. So one model wouldn't do for everyone, unless you consider that everyone should sound alike or look alike but for vanity.

The usual definition of vanity includes excessive pride in one's self or object. What that is, of course, is entirely subjective.

I don't think it's excessive to want to satisfy your own tone and looks ideas. That's why I think it's fine to do whatever the heck you want with your own guitar and coin.

Just expressing my own opinion, and not saying it should apply to, or be adopted by, anyone else.

8. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

Thanks for your opinion :)

9. Elliot

Elliot Gandalf the Vintage Yellow

mmmhmmm

10. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

Maybe we'll try a different tack on this one and hope it doesn't get derailed again.

What changes, upgrades, modifications, and/or customizations have you made or considered making to your 594?

No need for justification either way :)

11. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I've done Ivroid tuner buttons on all of mine. Looks better with the fretboard binding, imo. Since I have had multiples, I've also done pick up swaps.

12. Elliot

Elliot Gandalf the Vintage Yellow

Seems like some people swap the bridge pickup to something a bit hotter. If you're talking private stock I'd suggest the hansomatic mod. If you're curious and no one explains it I'll elaborate.

I like the mystique involved in someone else explaining it... maybe Hans himself would explain it, if he sees this.

13. dkilpatrick

dkilpatrick Makes guitar faces

On my DC, I've only changed the tuner buttons to ivoriod. I think they go together better with the fretboard binding.
    Should be standard on that model IMO.

On my SC, I went all out.
    It has an EIR neck and Brazilian board.
    So I did EIR tuner buttons and truss rod cover, and Brazilian pickup rings and switchtip.

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Your post did say, "What are your thoughts on any of these?"

So I shared mine. You're welcome.

15. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

Where did you guys get your tuner buttons?

16. Base6

Base6 Guitar Addict

Now that is something! When I saw the picture of that yellow/McCarty Burst 594, I thought: " WOW! That one is gorgeous. Why don't such examples ever show up in my area?". I have a PS GOM, but I really like these kind of tops.

But, as I looked closer at the picture above, I thought, "wait a minute, I know that store"! This is at TFOA! And that is like 400 meters from where I live! Go figure...

Now I got a serious money issue.

dogrocketp and Princeton like this.
  17. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

18. stratlanta

stratlanta How do brushstroke birds fly?

ooooohhhh... those might look cool on my black McCarty. They would match the pickup rings. Hmmm...

19. flux

flux 594 & CU24

MA Pete planted that seed in my brain a while back, and I may have to finally install a set. They'd be a great match.

This thought occasionally crosses my mind, despite being very happy with the stock LT. I'll likely leave it as is unless I stumble across something that causes a change of heart.

20. hammeron

hammeron New Member

Looking at your avatar, it looks like your 513 is specked out in the same color scheme. Congrats to you.