The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Ha! I can relate, that was indeed the deal in 2012 for the 20th Anniversary, I got my guitar and she got a pretty sweet Anniversary Band that we custom designed for her.

She hasn't said yet what she wants for next year! ;)

Thanks guys, for the complements on the inbound Violet Blue Fade! It will be late in the week before it gets here, at best, as I need to get some trades shipped over first...

Nice! I've got one of those coming too. I was waiting for top 3, but caved in and decided to grab the gray/black fade.

SC Thickness Body, Mahogany Neck and Brazilian Board and Veneer. They had the most highly figured Mahogany Neck blanks I have ever seen, and they were very musical. That piece of Brazilian is super dark and chocolatey, love that!

IMG_1093_zpswgl3lf2u.jpg

Funny thing Pete, I was revisiting the thread as I do everyday and when I saw this set my brain automatically read the number of the build as Ella
and not 6772 since I read it from top to bottom

Nice one, Pernny!! It took me a second to realize that was the GOM spec, with the Maple Binding and the Outline in Paua on the Birds. ;)

Love the wide flame on that top!!

OK. I couldn't stand it anymore with these gorgeous vintage finishes you guys keep showing. I'm on board. I have dkilpatrick's and MAPete's WL cousin (sister? brother?) on the way shortly. Will be a little longer than usual, as I am following MAPete's lead on this one. Out with the old(er) and in with the new. Really looking forward to trying one of these with more usual specs.

Still in love with my oddity 594, though. I picked up a Mark v:25 last week, but didn't even get it set up this weekend. Was too into playing. DA*N you Paul Reed Smith!!!!

Kevin

Nice! I've got one of those coming too. I was waiting for top 3, but caved in and decided to grab the gray/black fade.
Quilt? That quilt is gorgeous. Nicest in the bunch, IMO. I believe that is the one I had on hold originally. REALLY striking with the natural back. Congrats!!!
Kevin

Quilt? That quilt is gorgeous. Nicest in the bunch, IMO. I believe that is the one I had on hold originally. REALLY striking with the natural back. Congrats!!!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I was really trying to hold out for #3 just because I thought it was different/odd. Not sure that I would have been a fan of colors yet to come on the 3 quilts left. I've been looking at that Gray/Black since he put it up a couple of weeks back. Sent Brian an email Friday letting him know I was throwing in the towel on #3 and grabbing #1. Thanks for changing your mind on that one!

[
Nice one, Pernny!! It took me a second to realize that was the GOM spec, with the Maple Binding and the Outline in Paua on the Birds. ;)

Love the wide flame on that top!!
Thanks guys.
Pete, this is certainly the GOM spec, however does not have PS serial number.( but instead to have AR serial number.)
The biggest feature of this 594 is that one-off zinc bridge is installed, it is currently seems to be only this prototype.
Paul seems to really like the sound of this guitar, which was equipped with zinc bridge.
I don't know whether this is adopted in the future of products.

OK. I couldn't stand it anymore with these gorgeous vintage finishes you guys keep showing. I'm on board. I have dkilpatrick's and MAPete's WL cousin (sister? brother?) on the way shortly. Will be a little longer than usual, as I am following MAPete's lead on this one. Out with the old(er) and in with the new. Really looking forward to trying one of these with more usual specs.

Still in love with my oddity 594, though. I picked up a Mark v:25 last week, but didn't even get it set up this weekend. Was too into playing. DA*N you Paul Reed Smith!!!!

Kevin
Nice!
Willcutt still had a few left last I checked. One less now.
The 594's from that library run have some mojo.
(I also might be slightly bias);)

Congrats, Bodia!!

Kevin

Awesome, Kevin! I think you will dig it, the Willcutt's formula with the traditional woods and Brazilian boards is a safe bet for awesome tone, the two I have had from the run were amazing. Those were spec'ed March 1st when I was there spec'ing my first 594 Private Stock, and I think there was some extra special 594 mojo going on that day!

My Vintage Sunburst one was dropped off at the shop today, getting some Throbak PG-102's in it just to mix it up a bit.

I think it is cool that you got the wild and crazy PS 594, and now are getting a straight down the middle WL one with a Brazilian Board. I am headed the other direction, after 5 Core and Wood Library (and 1 PS) ones currently in the collection with basically the standard spec, and now a Rosewood Neck'ed one incoming! :)

cLfioJk.jpg

A prototype/artist relations guitar of the Private Stock McCarty 594

9zAGLNj.jpg

j3DNXdC.jpg

Bridge is not made of bronze,it has been update to the new zinc-made version.

This guitar has some of the very nicest flame pattern I have ever seen! Many congrats on getting this guitar!

Nice!
Willcutt still had a few left last I checked. One less now.
The 594's from that library run have some mojo.
(I also might be slightly bias);)
I REALLY hope that mojo carried over to mine!!!

Congrats, Bodia!!

Awesome, Kevin! I think you will dig it, the Willcutt's formula with the traditional woods and Brazilian boards is a safe bet for awesome tone, the two I have had from the run were amazing. Those were spec'ed March 1st when I was there spec'ing my first 594 Private Stock, and I think there was some extra special 594 mojo going on that day!

My Vintage Sunburst one was dropped off at the shop today, getting some Throbak PG-102's in it just to mix it up a bit.

I think it is cool that you got the wild and crazy PS 594, and now are getting a straight down the middle WL one with a Brazilian Board. I am headed the other direction, after 5 Core and Wood Library (and 1 PS) ones currently in the collection with basically the standard spec, and now a Rosewood Neck'ed one incoming! :)
Great idea trying the Trobaks in that guitar. Should sound great! Tone aside, these rosewood necks FEEL amazing to me. So fast and effortless. Looking forward to your pictures and thoughts.

Kevin

So with 2 of my 594's in the shop, and 1 in CA, only two 594's at home for the last 2 nights. Only 2? How am I surviving?!? ;)

That gave me an opportunity to spend some quality time with the Metallic Green one.

First, the back story on that one. Earlier this summer Kevin/bostonguitar and I were sparring posting pics of Metallic Green Aged Les Pauls on Facebook.

Damon Johnson (of Brother Cane fame) has a very cool one, and Gibson made some after his that they posted on Facebook.

CSaTvzrVAAAJLIM.jpg

Shortly after that, not too long after the Core 594's started shipping, the Metallic Green one showed up at Brian's Guitars, and I almost fell out of my chair! I bought it immediately, I couldn't risk thinking about it and having it disappear. After obsessing with Kevin about the Les Paul on Facebook for a while, how weird that a 594, my new favorite model, shows up in almost exactly the same look and vibe?!?

It plays and sounds great! Not too rough on the eyes, either!

IMG_0916_zpst3nk1vwc.jpg

Funny thing is, Damon calls his "The Green Manalishi", after Peter Green's early Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't even know what that meant a couple of months ago. Now I am into a big Peter Green phase, have read a biography on him, found that BBC documentary on him online, and collected about every Peter Green John Mayall and early Fleetwood Mac album and compilation I can find, wow, love his playing. Did I first look into him based on the name of Damon's guitar a couple of months ago, and looking into the history of that? Honestly, I don't even remember, but to me it is weird and cool, considering I was just rocking out some "Oh Well Part I" riffs on it tonight! ;)

This is the one I recently put High Wind Lollars in. After some playing time with it over the weekend and the last couple of days with those pickups, all I can say is WOW!! Great combination, those pickups in the 594. Those are hot PAF's similar to 5909's in output, and they sound great! That is about as hot as I go on pickups. Sounds great through my Yamaha THR-100HD, the Bogner Helios (which I just traded towards the Violet Blue Burst Brian's WL 594, since I have a Citizen Gain CSR coming in soon), and the Tone King Sky King with a Friedman BE-OD in front of it. (That pedal is sick, all of the Friedman tones in a pedal for $199, the steal of the century!)

Sounds significantly different than a 594 with stock 5815 LT pickups. More so Hard Rock versus Vintage Rock. Still does the Vintage thing very well with less gain and rolling off the guitar volume. (And of course does heavier rock and metal nicely with the BE-OD.) If I were headed to a gig right now, I probably would pick this one for versatility's sake. I may have a gig with the old band before the end of the year, we will see if this one gets the nod when the time comes! (It sure has the stage presence!)

Cool that Brian G is doing an Opaque Wood Library run of 594's inspired by this one and that Purple SC he had.

I am glad to have the good fortune to be able to have a few of these awesome 594's, and play around with trying different pickups in them, to mix it up a bit. I still totally love the stock 5815 LT's the best, KILLER pickups and a part of the magic of the 594 model, but still cool to try other pickups in this great model.

Success with this one with the High Wind Lollars! Tone report on the ThroBak PG-102's in the Vintage Sunburst coming soon... :)

Last edited:
Finally got to try the 594 at Guitar Center. Smooth as butter!....one of the smoothest playing guitars I ever tried. I think this is my next guitar for sure. The sound is just what I'm looking for as well. The scale length will take a little getting used to but I'm sure after a week I won't even notice it.
Played through a Friedman Runt 50 Combo that they had, which I was also curious about. Great amp but probably not for me. They tout it as going from blues to metal but there isn't much gain beyond AC/DC style crunch.
I'll set my sights back to an archon 50 I think, though there is nowhere in NYC you can try one:(

New Private Stock 594 2 Piece Bridge Day!!

Before:

IMG_1062_zps3rgpxi47.jpg

After:

IMG_0005_zpsi3iawm2s.jpg

Aahhh, much better! I love the mixed/hybrid hardware look, but I am not a fan of the gold hardware look. I think this looks MUCH better!! Especially with this finish.

I am not sure if I imagining things, but it seems to sound a little better, too! :)

Back