The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Here is my beauty in Dark Cherry Burst with Red back.

hwaylotmzg5aqn0sevkp.jpg

pa65azto92zszovuivfy.jpg
zdr2tjeqxqrrnyg8uuty.jpg

vyb9w7vpf7346scmmopj.jpg

Just love it.

Congrats, Audie!

I *love* Dark Cherry Sunburst, and that top has an AMAZING flame, perfect for that finish IMO!!

I don't know if the blue one is the same they had at the experience. At their stand, I tried a blue one, mahogany neck, that sounded the best of all 594s with mahogany neck. It spoke to me, but they didn't negotiate the price. [mod edit]

We uh, aren't supposed to discuss retail pricing of any kind here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know and I didnt say the price, only a difference between them. Next time i´ll be more careful ;)

Righteous Guitars had one I could try. ;)

I played the Violet one, along with a McCarty and a DGT.

The 594 is easily the most Les Paul sounding and feeling PRS I've played (I have not played an SC245). In my hands, I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing just yet (to Les's horses for courses point). The regular McCarty felt most like home to me, which is likely because I've been playing 25" and 25 1/2" scale guitars exclusively for over 20 years and I'm used to the control layout. I like the extra bit of snap and brightness also.

Those 58/15 LT pickups were incredible, though. So clear and articulate. The neck position is a particular stand out to me, and I am as picky as it gets with neck humbuckers. A gazillion tones in that guitar, and not a bad one to be found. I might just have to test drive a few more 594's to see if I can get on with the scale length. :D

Anyway, I think once I get closer to buying, I'll have to bring my amp and my S2 and have a shoot-out.

As a side note, they had an HBII in the gold top burst. Looked pretty cool! And I happened to meet forum brother jetydosa, who was in there with his crazy cool purple top DGT.

Thanks for the report, Garrett! Wow, what a killer selection of 594's they have there.

Agree re your thoughts on the pickups, and especially re the the Neck pickup, best Neck tone ever for me, and per my previous comment, it blends so well with the bridge pickup, playing with the volume and tone controls.

I must confess, I have a pair of 594's coming in this week (I seriously need help! ;)), so with 5 in the stable in IL, I think I am going to be able to muster up enough courage this week to try some different pickups in one (or two) this week, it will be interesting to compare what happens with this model with different pickups in it. Stay tuned here for a full report!

I also got a new toy yesterday, the Yamaha THR-100D Dual Amplifier. Wow, best modeling amp tone I have heard to-date. Not super flexible like a Fractal or Helix modeling solution, more like a simple and easy to use amp (required for me, that Helix made my head want to explode) that happens to be two amps in one, and happens to not have tubes. Built-in Reverb and Boost/OD, and a foot-switchable effects loop. I had bought the THR-10C for my Apartment in CA, really dug that (it actually takes an OD in front of the amp incredibly well), so I researched this one and decided to check it out. Very organic sounding, sounds like a great tube amp! I will of course still be switching between that and the Helios, ATMA and Sky King to mix it up and keep it fresh. Right now my favorite of the tube amps is the Sky King with the Bogner La Grange in front of it, for vintage LP tones.

Lots of fun going on here!! :)

I have a pair of 594's coming in this week (I seriously need help! ;)), so with 5 in the stable in IL, I think I am going to be able to muster up enough courage this week to try some different pickups in one (or two) this week, it will be interesting to compare what happens with this model with different pickups in it. Stay tuned here for a full report!

Could be interesting and a lot of fun to do that!

For someone else; I'm a klutz. ;)

Last time I did some pickup swapping, I stripped a screw hole, cracked a pickup ring, dropped a tool on the guitar, and made a fairly bleak mess out of the whole thing. And I wound up deciding the guitar sounded better with the original pickups. Hah!

Incidentally, when you get into a guitar model, you sure go all wild-man on it!

Could be interesting and a lot of fun to do that!

For someone else; I'm a klutz. ;)

Last time I did some pickup swapping, I stripped a screw hole, cracked a pickup ring, dropped a tool on the guitar, and made a fairly bleak mess out of the whole thing. And I wound up deciding the guitar sounded better with the original pickups. Hah!

I did not mean to insinuate in any way that I would actually be picking up a soldering iron and a screwdriver and swapping pickups! Usually when I say swapping pickups I mean I am going to sell a guitar and get a new one with different pickups! :)

But in this case I will drive the guitars to my tech, drop them off, and then pick them up when they are done. I might have some tuner knobs swapped along the way as well.

Whew! That sounds like hard work...

But in this case I will drive the guitars to my tech, drop them off, and then pick them up when they are done. I might have some tuner knobs swapped along the way as well.

At this point, that's pretty much the way I'd do it. :)

i am getting to really hate this thread !!! I purchase a 594 McCarty Burst and now I want one in every color possible, What is wrong with me?

Bob:

Your Avatar guitar looks GREAT! Please feel free to post more pictures here. ;)

Sorry about the thread! :) This model has that effect on me too. I have two MORE inbound this week. I am wondering the same thing, "what is wrong with me??"

Oh well, at least I am having some fun with it...

-Pete

Two MORE INBOUND! wha wha WHAT! That's amazing!
I cannot wait to see a picture of the entire group of these together again for the first time!

Two MORE INBOUND! wha wha WHAT! That's amazing!
I cannot wait to see a picture of the entire group of these together again for the first time!

Getting a little carried away here! (As usual!) :)

Was trying to decide between two to add another, and somehow managed to order both, not sure how that happened. ;)

Now I have no excuse whatsoever for not trying some different pickups in these! Will try to get some pickup swaps done this week and report back my findings soon.

And of course, will post 594 harem pics as requested. There are a couple of other ones in Metro Chicago that might want to join in as well...

There are a couple of other ones in Metro Chicago that might want to join in as well...

"Hon, I think I've cornered the market on PRS 594s!"

"That's great, dear. How much do you think they'll go up in value?"

"They...uh...well, they won't go up in value..."

"But you've cornered the market! That means that you control the supply of this model now. When demand increases, you should be able to name your own price."

"Yeah. I don't think it's gonna work out that way."

"Then why'd you do it?"

"Because...because of this guy who made me do it!"

So the October Guitar Player magazine is out. (Yeah, I know, what's a magazine?)

The 594 is reviewed. The review ends thusly:

"Instead, let me just say that I've played a lot of guitars in general and PRS guitars in particular, (my main instrument is a Custom 24 Brazilian), and this is one of the finest instruments I have ever encountered. Paul Reed Smith clearly poured immense amounts of love into making the 594 - and it shows."

Finest instruments... he couldn't bring himself to call it "just" a guitar....

Last edited:
I did not mean to insinuate in any way that I would actually be picking up a soldering iron and a screwdriver and swapping pickups! Usually when I say swapping pickups I mean I am going to sell a guitar and get a new one with different pickups! :)

Whew! That sounds like hard work...

I'm sure they'll still sound killer, just a different flavor. Let me know if you decide to part with any of those LT pickups. ;)

It is a tough life. I was exhausted Saturday afternoon. 40 minute drive to the guitar shop; 90 minutes playing, evaluating, talking about, and looking at guitars; 40 minutes back. I have to go again this weekend to pick up my HBII, which I dropped off for a setup. I feel compelled to A/B it with the yellow 594 (that one calls out to me somehow) while I'm there. The work never ends.

The more I think about this model after playing one, I realize I must have one. I can't get it out of my head. I'll wait until the right one comes along, as I see this being a lifetime guitar. It'll take a while to raise the funds anyway, unless The One pops up on Sweetwater sooner rather than later (interest-free financing for the win!).

Had a fun talk with the wife last night. She's on board for the purchase, but no solid colors allowed. She says if I'm going to spend that much money we better be able to see the wood. :cool:

I'm sure they'll still sound killer, just a different flavor. Let me know if you decide to part with any of those LT pickups. ;)
Had a fun talk with the wife last night. She's on board for the purchase, but no solid colors allowed. She says if I'm going to spend that much money we better be able to see the wood. :cool:

Wow, keep her! Never mind that, hope she keeps you! haha

"Hon, I think I've cornered the market on PRS 594s!"

"That's great, dear. How much do you think they'll go up in value?"

"They...uh...well, they won't go up in value..."

"But you've cornered the market! That means that you control the supply of this model now. When demand increases, you should be able to name your own price."

"Yeah. I don't think it's gonna work out that way."

"Then why'd you do it?"

"Because...because of this guy who made me do it!"

Do you... do you know my wife? Sounds like her :oops:

I'm loving this thread and I'm loving my 594. I agree with virtually everything that's been said; it's like I've found home! I even think the V12 finish feels so welcoming. I'm a huge nitro fan, but the V12 on my 594 feels organic and beautifully tactile.......I'd better stop now. Anyway, the point of my post is that I've been a massive fan of white guitars since I was a kid and Blackmore was the focus of my adulation. I've had various white strats and I've been tempted by the antique white DGTs and CU24s in the past, but never committed. My original intention was to get a GOM-like vintage burst for my 594, but then fell in love with the charcoal burst that's home with me now (mentioned this about 25 pages back - what a thread; did I mention I love it?!!). Now I'm thinking an antique white 594 may just be the ticket to utopia on the colour front (although I bet I end up with a vintage burst 594 too, sometime). Most of my family do not share my love a white guitars, but in my head it looks brilliant. I'm telling you good folks this, purely because I love this thread and this guitar (did I mention that?).

It is a tough life. I was exhausted Saturday afternoon. 40 minute drive to the guitar shop; 90 minutes playing, evaluating, talking about, and looking at guitars; 40 minutes back. I have to go again this weekend to pick up my HBII, which I dropped off for a setup. I feel compelled to A/B it with the yellow 594 (that one calls out to me somehow) while I'm there. The work never ends.

The more I think about this model after playing one, I realize I must have one. I can't get it out of my head. I'll wait until the right one comes along, as I see this being a lifetime guitar. It'll take a while to raise the funds anyway, unless The One pops up on Sweetwater sooner rather than later (interest-free financing for the win!).

Your wife reminds me of my wife. Mine helped me decide on the quilt top, and the color. and you know what?....She was right. :)

Damn, I'm glad I have a smart wife. I see enough "stupid" all day long.

Back