The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Go to 2:15 or so. Custom finish, "Gold Top Burst". What do you guys think?

I dig it, especially on this model! I like Goldtops, and I like Bursts - why not?? :)

(I inquired with them about it, it appears it is sold...)

I think that is hawt as f@ck! I just might trade my wife for that!

I think that is hawt as f@ck! I just might trade my wife for that!

"Hey, hon, you're not going to like this, but...I found a really great guitar."

"You're right, I'll be pretty pissed if you bring home another guitar."

"Yeah, well, you really don't have to worry about it because you're, well, uh...you're not going to be home."

"What do you mean?"

""I mean, I kind of...well, truth is, I traded you for the guitar. I...uh...had to add a little money to the deal to make it happen, of course, because the dealer said there isn't much of a market for wives what with the recession and everything..."

"Very funny, how much did you get for me in trade, then?"

"Well, I got $2200 after showing him your pic; that's more than fair market right now, I drove a hard bargain. My friend Lesteban on the PRS Forum only got $1500 for his...you uh...you might want to pack a suitcase..."

"I thought you said Lesteban was single."

"Well, sure, now he is."

After that fun and silly departure I will try to get us back on point! ;)

You have a really good set of tools right now, Les. I hope you're gonna stand pat for a while.

Although I'm making noise about buying one, and the price/quality ratio of a stock version is very compelling, I had an interesting reaction to the 594 I played at CR Guitars, a wood library version that IIRC a member here bought. I played it. I loved it. I came very, very close to taking it home (well, technically, to Massachusetts as I was headed there) with me. But then I looked at Craig and said something along the lines of, I sold my vintage Les Paul last fall for a reason. The reason is I didn't see any need to have that particular "thing" in my arsenal, regardless of how many bazillion guitar players are chasing that carrot. It's a distraction for me. If I buy this guitar, it's only going to remind me that I sold the best guitar I will ever have from that particular recipe, and inspire me to persist in that distraction.

That's my truth, and I need to remember it.

I will also say that, of all the "this is our '59 'burst" PRS guitars I've played, that 594 was easily the closest to there. In fact the guy who bought my vintage Les Paul bought one of the original guitar-of-the-month versions and happily gigs it alongside my ex. So if you are chasing that carrot, I would give the 594 my highest recommendation.

Dude, that's a perfect description, thanks. That's definitely what I'm chasing.

Great post Kingsley! That certainly is a good context for many players.

I am 100% with Garrett, that's mostly what I chase, that's why I seem to always have multiple examples of a model I love.

Right now in playing I am chasing a specific subset of that tone, I am currently obsessed with the late sixties classic Les Paul tones from Clapton's groundbreaking work on the John Mayall Beano album, early Peter Green, Paul Kossoff, etc. This 594 model going into either my Sky King Tone King or my Bogner Helios with an OD in front of it (Bogner La Grange or Xotic Effects BB+) is resulting in some very pleasing tones that are close to those in my head! Great fun...

Well you're 100% right.

Fact is, the McCarty Singlecut takes me as close as I need to be to that classic burst formula. There isn't a thing about my Hammer of the Gods that makes me say, "Yes, but..."

I'll never sell it.

My other PRS guitars are absolutely great at everything they do. There's nothing I'd change on any of them.

I can't rationalize -- I'm getting a 594 for the sheer fun of having it around. :)

It's out there, it's cool, I want it. Might as well make myself jolly while I wait for the Grim Reaper!

Maybe I'll find it essential in the studio, that's always a likely thing with a really good guitar.

Les, I am really interested to hear your comparison between the McCarty Singlecut and the 594. I bought the MSC partially because of your raving about it (not that I need much encouragement, generally!), and it was one of my favorite models ever. I did overlap the 594 GOM and the MSC a bit, but I got so caught up in the scale length difference that I don't really feel like I put in the time to do a real A/B comparison of the two.

Sadly, for me it's "yes, but..."
As I said in other thread, I parked my Gibson R9 recently and have been playing my McCarty since then. Is more comfortable, weights less, the sound is "richer, with more to offer"... It's a better guitar, period. BUT, and here comes the BUT... (The word I'll use here would be suggestion) ... BUT my PRSi don't suggest me the same my Gibson does; PRS is perfection, period, BUT my R9 suggests me Jimmy Page and many of his riffs, Gary Moore and those sad blueses, Slash, Doug Aldrich, hard rock... Rock History. And that is hard to beat in your head.

I found your post interesting, Basauri! I have totally felt that way too over time. Each guitar definitely inspires you in its own way. But I don't feel that way about Les Paul's anymore, like I need to have and play one to connect to that. I just got rid of two that were probably the best two I have ever owned, and they never got played unless to remind myself why I like all of my other guitars more. ;) I still love the model for its place in history, and a picture or video of one of my favorite guitarists with one makes me smile! I just don't really feel the need to own one any more, other than the urge I still have to have an awesome one hanging on the wall to look at.

I think also that changed for me a bit because I was 100% PRS for many years, mostly DC's and always an SC or two, but I always had urges to have a Les Paul in the collection. Now I am a little more diversified, I also dig my b3 SL's (my other favorite short scale Doublecut) and the Knaggs Kenai. All sort of in the same wheel house being short scale guitars with the Les Paul sort of Formula, but different, unique and special in their own ways.

Good stuff guys! I appreciate the interesting posts...

The more I play my McCarty the less I miss the R9. And I KNOW that when I´ll buy a 594 my Gibson will be in its hard case for years.
Like you, I will always smile at Les Pauls, they are History and I have no intentions of selling mine, but at the end of the day my PRSi improves my playing because they are, by far, better instruments... and I like them, of course! PRS makes IMHO the most beautiful guitars so far.

at the end of the day my PRSi improves my playing because they are, by far, better instruments...

An epigram from Steve Kimock seems apropos here: "An instrument is only as good as the time you put into it."

One way of translating that is to realize that, if a guitar inspires you to play it more than you otherwise would play, pay attention to that chit and don't be distracted by your rational (or reptilian!) brain reacting to a picture of a guitar that someone else played. No matter how much you admire that someone else (or his/her tone), you're not that person. You're you, and you're on your own journey.

Another way is to realize that, it isn't the tools, it's the carpenter. Good tools might help open some doors for you, but you've got to do the work of walking through the door and getting to the next stage in your musical journey.

An epigram from Steve Kimock seems apropos here: "An instrument is only as good as the time you put into it."

One way of translating that is to realize that, if a guitar inspires you to play it more than you otherwise would play, pay attention to that chit and don't be distracted by your rational (or reptilian!) brain reacting to a picture of a guitar that someone else played. No matter how much you admire that someone else (or his/her tone), you're not that person. You're you, and you're on your own journey.

Another way is to realize that, it isn't the tools, it's the carpenter. Good tools might help open some doors for you, but you've got to do the work of walking through the door and getting to the next stage in your musical journey.

Absolutely agree.
Talking about time I put on them, more or less is the same, but... I´ve spent hours and hours with my Gibson changing parts, setting it up, wondering if its "historic correct"... while PRSi look and feel correct as they are. With them is opening the case and play, so I guess this is a big point for these guitars.
And that is, IMO, what PRS has nailed with the 594: you've got "that tone" in a better guitar and substracting all that "historic bleh bleh bleh weight" from it

Right now in playing I am chasing a specific subset of that tone, I am currently obsessed with the late sixties classic Les Paul tones from Clapton's groundbreaking work on the John Mayall Beano album, early Peter Green, Paul Kossoff, etc. This 594 model going into either my Sky King Tone King or my Bogner Helios with an OD in front of it (Bogner La Grange or Xotic Effects BB+) is resulting in some very pleasing tones that are close to those in my head! Great fun...

Those are the tones and styles I've modeled myself after since I dug into playing guitar in the mid-90's. Add into the mix Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, and Gary Moore. Sprinkle in some Page and Gibbons, too. The catch has always been whenever I pick up a Les Paul (that doesn't cost a small fortune), I go "meh" or, at best, "that's pretty nice." I was lucky enough to check out a real '57 a few months ago and it was magic. I would've rocked that guitar every day of the week. Heading up to Righteous Guitars today to see how much of that mojo Paul & co. have crammed into their new double cut.

Those are the tones and styles I've modeled myself after since I dug into playing guitar in the mid-90's. Add into the mix Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, and Gary Moore. Sprinkle in some Page and Gibbons, too. The catch has always been whenever I pick up a Les Paul (that doesn't cost a small fortune), I go "meh" or, at best, "that's pretty nice." I was lucky enough to check out a real '57 a few months ago and it was magic. I would've rocked that guitar every day of the week. Heading up to Righteous Guitars today to see how much of that mojo Paul & co. have crammed into their new double cut.

Nice additions above! Sweet on the '57, what a great opportunity. Closest I have come is Kingsley's old conversion, through his vintage Marshall amp, which was pretty awesome.

Have a good trip today, look forward to your report! Tip - check out the middle pickup position with both pickups and play with the volume and tone controls. My "go-to" vintage tone is Bridge on 10 and Neck on 7, tones on 10. Also interesting is the "woman tone", Bridge on 7, Neck on 10 both tones to or near zero. Those pickups rock for those vintage tones!

I got in a couple of sets of pickups in this week to try out versus the 58/15LT's, Bare Knuckles Mules (Double Cream!) and Lollar Imperials. The problem is that I can't seem to get myself to actually swap these great pickups out of one of my 594's! ;)

Here are some more pics of the "Gold Top Burst". I historically have not been much of an Opaque PRS guy, but on this model, I love them!

_48A0471_zpsip2acauk.jpg

_48A0587_zpsbejq5i3y.jpeg

_48A0492_zps6nrtvra7.jpg

_48A0475_zpsezb0vagb.jpg

_48A0484_zpsfia539ya.jpg

_48A0487_zpsbxgjkslq.jpeg

Here, here! This is exactly what I was thinking while reading these posts. For me, "the skies opened up" once I stopped emulating my heroes, their tones, and specific genres of music, and just focused on playing, which, dare I say, also coincided to leading me to playing pretty much exclusively DGT's, and now an added 594!
RonnieD

Les, I am really interested to hear your comparison between the McCarty Singlecut and the 594. I bought the MSC partially because of your raving about it (not that I need much encouragement, generally!), and it was one of my favorite models ever.

Should be interesting; I'm sure there will be differences, not least of which will be the pickups...and the coil splits...and the weight!

With the 594, you've returned the GAS favor, since I ordered mine after you raved about yours (not that I needed much of a push, either!).

While I agree 100% with this, I will also re-state the old saw, "Horses for courses." And in the case of guitars, one of the "courses" is the player him/herself.

That is to say, certain instruments are better suited to certain players, and vice-versa.

You're right that it's the carpenter, not the tool, however, the right carpenter with a tool that inhibits his particular needs, is going to be a less able carpenter.

This has really come home to me since my surgery "adventures" of the past year. Before that, I was absolutely, positively, 100% neck-carve-agnostic, and scale-length-neutral! Along came issues with the nerves in my hand, and suddenly, all the fuss about this stuff suddenly mattered. A lot!

Some of my guitars became more difficult to play, some were easier for my hand. Now that the healing has progressed a little, I'm back to playing all of them again, but it was touch and go there for awhile, and I can see how having the right fit can be a very big deal.

I also noticed more than ever that my ability to coax a tone I wanted to hear out of a given instrument depended not only on the design of the instrument, but the feel of it. How it feels in my hand, how my fingers lay out on the fretboard...all of that mattered more than ever not just to the notes I could play, but to the tone the combination of my hands and guitar could make!

Not only that, but I also found that I could play certain things more effectively on, say, a Regular neck, and other things more effectively on, say, a Pattern or 594 neck (my 20th PS Anni is 594). I have to say that I was truly surprised in a way I haven't been since the 90s when I had to deal with the narrow string spacing on a Rick 12 string.

Maybe one notices these things more when one is forced by circumstances to play slowly, and concentrate harder than ever on simply getting each note to sound cleanly at all? In any case, I've reached the inescapable conclusion that the feel of the guitar matters to the outcome more than I previously had imagined.

Of course the inevitable question arises, couldn't a person just get used to one feel, and develop facility on that instrument regardless of one's hands, etc.? I'm sure that's true to an extent, but my takeaway is that it's like having a pair of shoes that don't fit well, and a pair of shoes that are a perfect fit. You're probably going to choose the shoes that fit well (unless, like me, you would suffer through an evening with lousy fitting shoes because they look cooler ;)).

Last edited:
Righteous Guitars had one I could try. ;)

I played the Violet one, along with a McCarty and a DGT.

The 594 is easily the most Les Paul sounding and feeling PRS I've played (I have not played an SC245). In my hands, I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing just yet (to Les's horses for courses point). The regular McCarty felt most like home to me, which is likely because I've been playing 25" and 25 1/2" scale guitars exclusively for over 20 years and I'm used to the control layout. I like the extra bit of snap and brightness also.

Those 58/15 LT pickups were incredible, though. So clear and articulate. The neck position is a particular stand out to me, and I am as picky as it gets with neck humbuckers. A gazillion tones in that guitar, and not a bad one to be found. I might just have to test drive a few more 594's to see if I can get on with the scale length. :D

Anyway, I think once I get closer to buying, I'll have to bring my amp and my S2 and have a shoot-out.

As a side note, they had an HBII in the gold top burst. Looked pretty cool! And I happened to meet forum brother jetydosa, who was in there with his crazy cool purple top DGT.

I played the Violet one, along with a McCarty and a DGT.

The 594 is easily the most Les Paul sounding and feeling PRS I've played (I have not played an SC245). In my hands, I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing just yet (to Les's horses for courses point). The regular McCarty felt most like home to me, which is likely because I've been playing 25" and 25 1/2" scale guitars exclusively for over 20 years and I'm used to the control layout. I like the extra bit of snap and brightness also.

Those 58/15 LT pickups were incredible, though. So clear and articulate. The neck position is a particular stand out to me, and I am as picky as it gets with neck humbuckers. A gazillion tones in that guitar, and not a bad one to be found. I might just have to test drive a few more 594's to see if I can get on with the scale length. :D

Anyway, I think once I get closer to buying, I'll have to bring my amp and my S2 and have a shoot-out.

As a side note, they had an HBII in the gold top burst. Looked pretty cool! And I happened to meet forum brother jetydosa, who was in there with his crazy cool purple top DGT.
At ease boyzzzz

I don't know if the blue one is the same they had at the experience. At their stand, I tried a blue one, mahogany neck, that sounded the best of all 594s with mahogany neck. It spoke to me, but they didn't negotiate the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back