The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Another N5D!! Needed something to do with those Ivoroid Buttons...

IMG_0907_zps4loaobbv.jpg

IMG_0914_zpscx52hqgz.jpg

IMG_0916_zpst3nk1vwc.jpg

IMG_0917_zpsqdcxnchy.jpg

First impressions:
  • WOW!! Wild finish. I joked with Alan that I may need to keep it in the other room, it visually overpowers the room full of vintage finished guitars.
  • Really shows off the top carve - proof that a Goldtop will also be awesome.
  • I dig that this has a Natural Back, if it were all Metallic Green, I would not have been interested. I normally like darker brown backs, like my other two have. But for this guitar, the Natural totally works. Provides for a great contrast to the super bright Metallic Green top, also has a lot of great grain in the back of the neck as you look down at the neck while playing.
  • Tone Monster! I jammed on it for a while, thought it sounded great. I was concerned for a second that it sounded better than my Willcutt's Wood Library one, so I switched to that one. They both sound EXACTLY the same. Exactly. I would not be able to tell them apart blindfolded. I have now owned the GOM and 4 WL/Core guitars, I am amazed with the consistency of amazing tone across these, best of any PRS model I have experienced in this regard. Paul, Eric and I spoke about that in March at PRS. Paul assured me that they had "cracked the code" and that they would be able to consistently build these as good sounding as the GOM's. I was skeptical. Paul - Holy crap, you were right! ;)
  • The neck on this one is BEEFY! In a good way. A little bigger than the others.
  • Will look better with Ivoroid Tuner Buttons! :)

Woo-hoo! Fun times.

More later...

You know what, I freaking LOVE that color, the guitar looks spectacular!

I mean, not only in the room, it'd look KILLER on stage, too. I think a gold top would be awesome, but this one's special. So nice!!

Close call on the knobs. Not sure which I prefer, both look great.

Man, that green top makes me weak. I'm always torn because metallic finishes look so good with the carved top, but I like natural wood as well. Best of both worlds!

It's strange because so far I'm only really liking the vintage-esque bursts on these, but the green really does it for me somehow.

You know what, I freaking LOVE that color, the guitar looks spectacular!

I mean, not only in the room, it'd look KILLER on stage, too. I think a gold top would be awesome, but this one's special. So nice!!

Close call on the knobs. Not sure which I prefer, both look great.

Man, that green top makes me weak. I'm always torn because metallic finishes look so good with the carved top, but I like natural wood as well. Best of both worlds!

It's strange because so far I'm only really liking the vintage-esque bursts on these, but the green really does it for me somehow.

Thanks Les and Garrett! I agree this one is great, unique and special. (A special thanks to Brian G at Brian's Guitars for this custom-ordered guitar!!)

Definitely a great stage guitar. I have the opportunity to join my old band for a few songs at a gig they are doing up in Ottawa in September (they continued on as a 4 piece with a new drummer, as the company-sponsored band faded away). I wasn't sure if I was going to make the trip, but a chance to gig this one might just inspire me to do so! :)

Garrett - with regards to the comment "It's strange because so far I'm only really liking the vintage-esque bursts on these, but the green really does it for me somehow" - I totally agree! I am laser focused on the vintage finishes for this model, but when I saw this one, I instantly knew I have to have it!

Congrats! I REALLY loved that one when it hit Brian's. Should you ever feel the need to part with it.....dibs!

Thanks Les and Garrett! I agree this one is great, unique and special. (A special thanks to Brian G at Brian's Guitars for this custom-ordered guitar!!)

Well, it's just so utterly spectacular, especially contrasted in color with that natural back, how could you NOT buy it? :)

I'll tell you what popped into my head when I saw it:

Umberto Boccioni and Futurist sculpture, the way the light plays on the carved surface like the light plays on this cast bronze surface...called Unique Forms of Continuity in Space:

Boccioni_UniqueForms190a.jpg

Or maybe Brancusi:
brancusi-pogany.jpg

Oh crap, now I'm wondering if Private Stock could do a metallic finish that looked like polished cast bronze with a patina...

...of course they could.

Your guitar just gave me one heck of an idea for a PS, and one day, oh yes, I WILL do it! ;)

Last edited:
That's a mean looking machine! How did you get those bird looking reflections on the pickups on that first picture? Sublime...

Well, it's just so utterly spectacular, especially contrasted in color with that natural back, how could you NOT buy it? :)

I'll tell you what popped into my head when I saw it:

Umberto Boccioni and Futurist sculpture, the way the light plays on the carved surface like the light plays on this cast bronze surface...called Unique Forms of Continuity in Space:

Boccioni_UniqueForms190a.jpg

Or maybe Brancusi:
brancusi-pogany.jpg

Oh crap, now I'm wondering if Private Stock could do a metallic finish that looked like polished cast bronze with a patina...

...of course they could.

Your guitar just gave me one heck of an idea for a PS, and one day, oh yes, I WILL do it! ;)

That DOES sound like a pretty cool idea for a Private Stock! ;)

That's a mean looking machine! How did you get those bird looking reflections on the pickups on that first picture? Sublime...

Thanks!

Believe it or not, those are both the reflection of a Hercules Wall Hangar. They do sort of look like birds in that picture, though!

Wow, Eddie's Guitars has some phenomenal "not run of the mill" examples right now.

Is it flame, is it quilt, I think it's both!

Paul%20Reed%20Smith%20McCarty%20594%20Artist%20Package%20Slate%20%281%29%20small.jpg

Dark cherry burst, looks like its on fire....

PRS%20McCarty%20594%20Artist%20Package%20Dark%20Cherry%20Sunburst%20%281%29%20small.jpg

Another N5D!! Needed something to do with those Ivoroid Buttons...

IMG_0914_zpscx52hqgz.jpg

Woo-hoo! Fun times.

More later...

You have some fine, unique examples. That green metallic might be the ultimate retro/modern guitar!

New demo from Willcutts:

Sweet!!

Does that guitar look familiar?

IMG_0872_zps17whkmjs.jpg

Yes, it does sound (and look) that awesome!! There is something great about a good video to show off how the guitar looks, and of course sounds, and how it makes you feel, that just can't be captured in a still image.

I am two for two for Willcutt's 594 demos, first the GOM, and then this Livingston Lemonburst Wood Library 594.

Thanks, Eric! I really appreciate our mutual appreciation for these short scale PRS guitars, and your support, you rock!! ;)

Sweet!!

Does that guitar look familiar?

IMG_0872_zps17whkmjs.jpg

Yes, it does sound (and look) that awesome!! There is something great about a good video to show off how the guitar looks, and of course sounds, and how it makes you feel, that just can't be captured in a still image.

I am two for two for Willcutt's 594 demos, first the GOM, and then this Livingston Lemonburst Wood Library 594.

Thanks, Eric! I really appreciate our mutual appreciation for these short scale PRS guitars, and your support, you rock!! ;)

Dangit Pete, you're killing me. That one looks near perfect.

It really is just about perfect!!

I have it into my local tech now for a setup and the Ivoroid Tuner upgrade now, hoping it is 100% perfect when I get it back from him! ;)

Just curious who your local guy is. I may have some needs and would like to deal with someone good. I figure if he's your guy, he's good.

Just curious who your local guy is. I may have some needs and would like to deal with someone good. I figure if he's your guy, he's good.

I'll shoot you a PM. I can't have too many people knowing about him, I don't want him to get too busy, as I need him for a lot of work these days!! ;)

I'll shoot you a PM. I can't have too many people knowing about him, I don't want him to get too busy, as I need him for a lot of work these days!! ;)

I was half-kidding there, wanted to check with him first to make sure he was cool with me posting his info, which he was fine with.

His name is Mario, and he does great work. The setups from the factories and from dealers are good, but once I get it back from Mario, the guitars are easier to play and have some magical extra sparkle to their tone as well! His business is called "The Guitar Workshop" in Plainfield, IL, and I recommend him highly.

http://theguitarworkshoponline.com

He was very impressed with the two 594's today!

Also, New 594 Ivoroid Tuner Day here! :)

IMG_0929_zps3v9e0ktl.jpg

Ah, they look so much better (in my opinion) with that modification.

One set of Ivoroid tuners left, what do to with them? Oh wait, I have an email from FedEx saying I have a delivery scheduled for tomorrow... :)

I was half-kidding there, wanted to check with him first to make sure he was cool with me posting his info, which he was fine with.

His name is Mario, and he does great work. The setups from the factories and from dealers are good, but once I get it back from Mario, the guitars are easier to play and have some magical extra sparkle to their tone as well! His business is called "The Guitar Workshop" in Plainfield, IL, and I recommend him highly.

http://theguitarworkshoponline.com

He was very impressed with the two 594's today!

Also, New 594 Ivoroid Tuner Day here! :)

IMG_0929_zps3v9e0ktl.jpg

Ah, they look so much better (in my opinion) with that modification.

One set of Ivoroid tuners left, what do to with them? Oh wait, I have an email from FedEx saying I have a delivery scheduled for tomorrow... :)

Hottie McHotties right there. Looking forward to another N5D.

Thanks for checking with him first. That's a 20 minute ride down 59. Bonus, there's a great BBQ place a couple of blocks from him. Baby Back Blues. Haven't been there in quite awhile.

Back