The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Great haul, Pete! You weren't kidding about that Honey. Stunning top and color. Amazing. Congrats, and enjoy!!

Kevin

My 2 incoming:

dhG7jJXu3Y16jNbsGFQH_OBkdKTnf4pmJd7hZJo_E2CXvUVu0hY0lkVo2AH-UVGa11yFTvQnAZ7EkKUR_bSkhbN-YG9kNBms2H73xvFG1uI66zEVjNpIpRjcIV38rFkwpdjuLgJOYzwgpVXBwr5WM5M0lqpqTHMkiZlgf1iSqzS6ku3NRtXyT_44upv8sTFUjZysR7Y-f3S0hLTU0OtkOIF0Aegb31C4A5oMXw9I1sqG_0nSp7dzb2DvvwwE3lLHz2wUsY6LTgPW1-5TW8_BC1mNXdh7dpoOPq4A3GFgqh7w00bwK4BThvcdJpKhk1Y-o8udzrEkIUeB-uKH-GVv5dF58JuhAanwcjVb_c3xKU-XLsZlWKeCAIbZgoG67ANSnvvWjWedAcX3JRddM82fn_uLKzx44FpdLMV979gH-CiN_ks48ZZUnl5VQmu50W4JNYO9EnOXFj1SMfbimYpPcJ_Z1tpuaaQLZFxG0bYpIkeo5qADPYv4a4v3V_AQhlCmhBN5eTDnrPgTTPk-8rxZDhyXQ65GSirSs31dEGfJDHnbfGLSUd6gl0YP_gXDD4IjbqWaPcPVPAle9Xz8kmrNyk4_VW34QsXI=w1336-h932-no

l036PgbDa6A9KgPC8QkyoViMBnYxE29W_w3TpLQMRTPA-ecfEZ2LOGqpLmusVFiAeU9_zw0RRNtao0tSkP8W2vaYDeHLdHKT7BdlP99lyYkFqnvHuo0ouINtzK8GVRnm8vFrX9Kuv7oaqrAieLWY1ih98I2JS-f-EJbdqJJMIMNsRYKbxoegw_PNpQv3HQf8vOuePIwHQqBFFsrIrroeGKrR48GZDUYPll_MzZTfLFNJ_UVFyrqIrsIGgjVFSlZ4efkeDiZCZ2wPApBpjosvS53iGZypXuqnwLK99bu8Cpe9wRg7WVqmmw3aM99J91g795SmjFUPGTQNrBOJ_Fj0owzTIfKGsv7apHlAH4J0-5fmyfdzVBLphR7tSaONeKI22jadmhQdsZWSs5LIg3V0f3F-9f2-WqNpSMWa8CMadJSys6ql5mSbUy9ZIWmTYWsqtQ7t9-XQBFNfVyQGJjoy9m25N553CSnWB8bpKi5JPYfPBMSxf0IQ3C0wdTCT6owKAC94sPeN3URW3tE5isWME6ARaX6cyAHTFaXAbN_RrDJ-woIOyT4jKL9mcHx6Eiy-G5w6xo9woRRHlI7SE-YnDFvdism7Zw2C=w1336-h1002-no

Yeah, baby!!

My wife helps me with her opinions and suggestions as well. She helped me decide on a PS, and the color. Your wife has supreme taste in picking guitars! WOW! Had I seen that guitar, if I were at the Experience, I'd have been all over it. Congratulations.

theguitarsanctuary.com has one left over from Experience in the same color but a bookmatched top. That's who we got this one from.

Well, I figured a vintage playing and vintage sounding guitar should have a vintage finish, so I went with the McCarty burst.

Just kicked it up a few notches with an Artist Pkg. and voila. This will be in my hands shortly.

1E901B2C-6A21-4B4D-B3F8-176D819283DC_zpshb5fbd9k.jpg
F1E9CC62-62C7-4FCA-A512-33D334F3B745_zpspnvi103b.jpg

I played that guitar at CR a couple of weeks ago. It's killer. If you don't like it, let me know. I'll take it if you don't want it!

theguitarsanctuary.com has one left over from Experience in the same color but a bookmatched top. That's who we got this one from.

Thanks for the heads-up! I checked it out and imho, it has absolutely nothing on your personal pick. You have an really special 594!

That's pretty amazing...If it's on the level of the HOTG, I'm going to be one very happy guy.
Played both the PS single cut and the 594 last night and they have a very different feel and I always forget how damn good the PS is. I hope I never have to choose between the two! What is absolutely certain to me is that the 594 is stunning as a core model. Oh how I'd love to try the PS 594!

Two very nice examples! So you will own 3 594s when it's all done? Are you going to let them fight it out?

Ha! Not sure. We shall see. I usually like to have a few of my favorite PRS model, which this now is, replacing my 7 year love affair with the DC 245 Ted McCarty (and I view this guitar as an extension of that lineage).

I live in IL but have an apartment in Silicon Valley where I visit for work, I will likely take one there longer term.

I am hoping I can restrain myself to keep it to just 3, LOL! ;)

Played both the PS single cut and the 594 last night and they have a very different feel and I always forget how damn good the PS is. I hope I never have to choose between the two! What is absolutely certain to me is that the 594 is stunning as a core model. Oh how I'd love to try the PS 594!

Agreed, I think it'll be awesome to have both. A little variety is always a good thing!

I have a funny feeling I'm going to love the 594 and want a PS version of it. I have the 594 scale length on my 20th PS Anniversary guitar, and the thing sounds magnificent, and has a wonderful feel.

But I'm sure Jack's WL version will be the next best thing; my McCarty WL absolutely rocks. So there's that.

Last edited:
I played that guitar at CR a couple of weeks ago. It's killer. If you don't like it, let me know. I'll take it if you don't want it!

Appreciate the feedback and good to have that endorsement! I highly doubt I'll be offering it up though. ;)

Interesting to see so much excitement on the 594 model. I've owned two PRS models, a Custom 24 I wish I never sold years ago, and a Hollowbody II which I sold to buy the 594 I've posted in this thread. (FYI, this was the Hollowbody, note what I did to it. :))

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/ptc_guitar_overhaul_hollowbody_ii_modifications

I've been searching for a LP style of better build quality than the typical modern Gibsons, lighter in weight, but still maintaining the feel and tone. I know there are other PRS models that could qualify, but something about this core model says "yes!". I'm buying sight unseen, but I'm particular about the figuring and look, like Paul says, you perceive a guitar visually first, then you play or hear it. (paraphrasing) So excited to see if I'm "right". Will know later this week.....

I've been searching for a LP style of better build quality than the typical modern Gibsons, lighter in weight, but still maintaining the feel and tone.

Well, you pretty much nailed the description of this model!! Plus better ergonomics.

Destination reached... ;)

I've only been asking for a short-scale doublecut with the 2-piece bridge for years now, and I'm glad they finally brought one to the core line-up. I definitely see one of these in my future.

My 2 incoming:

dhG7jJXu3Y16jNbsGFQH_OBkdKTnf4pmJd7hZJo_E2CXvUVu0hY0lkVo2AH-UVGa11yFTvQnAZ7EkKUR_bSkhbN-YG9kNBms2H73xvFG1uI66zEVjNpIpRjcIV38rFkwpdjuLgJOYzwgpVXBwr5WM5M0lqpqTHMkiZlgf1iSqzS6ku3NRtXyT_44upv8sTFUjZysR7Y-f3S0hLTU0OtkOIF0Aegb31C4A5oMXw9I1sqG_0nSp7dzb2DvvwwE3lLHz2wUsY6LTgPW1-5TW8_BC1mNXdh7dpoOPq4A3GFgqh7w00bwK4BThvcdJpKhk1Y-o8udzrEkIUeB-uKH-GVv5dF58JuhAanwcjVb_c3xKU-XLsZlWKeCAIbZgoG67ANSnvvWjWedAcX3JRddM82fn_uLKzx44FpdLMV979gH-CiN_ks48ZZUnl5VQmu50W4JNYO9EnOXFj1SMfbimYpPcJ_Z1tpuaaQLZFxG0bYpIkeo5qADPYv4a4v3V_AQhlCmhBN5eTDnrPgTTPk-8rxZDhyXQ65GSirSs31dEGfJDHnbfGLSUd6gl0YP_gXDD4IjbqWaPcPVPAle9Xz8kmrNyk4_VW34QsXI=w1336-h932-no

l036PgbDa6A9KgPC8QkyoViMBnYxE29W_w3TpLQMRTPA-ecfEZ2LOGqpLmusVFiAeU9_zw0RRNtao0tSkP8W2vaYDeHLdHKT7BdlP99lyYkFqnvHuo0ouINtzK8GVRnm8vFrX9Kuv7oaqrAieLWY1ih98I2JS-f-EJbdqJJMIMNsRYKbxoegw_PNpQv3HQf8vOuePIwHQqBFFsrIrroeGKrR48GZDUYPll_MzZTfLFNJ_UVFyrqIrsIGgjVFSlZ4efkeDiZCZ2wPApBpjosvS53iGZypXuqnwLK99bu8Cpe9wRg7WVqmmw3aM99J91g795SmjFUPGTQNrBOJ_Fj0owzTIfKGsv7apHlAH4J0-5fmyfdzVBLphR7tSaONeKI22jadmhQdsZWSs5LIg3V0f3F-9f2-WqNpSMWa8CMadJSys6ql5mSbUy9ZIWmTYWsqtQ7t9-XQBFNfVyQGJjoy9m25N553CSnWB8bpKi5JPYfPBMSxf0IQ3C0wdTCT6owKAC94sPeN3URW3tE5isWME6ARaX6cyAHTFaXAbN_RrDJ-woIOyT4jKL9mcHx6Eiy-G5w6xo9woRRHlI7SE-YnDFvdism7Zw2C=w1336-h1002-no

Yeah, baby!!

Got home from a work trip last night, and these two beauties were waiting for me!

So I have one of the GOM 594's, it is really an amazing guitar. One of the things that I wondered about was if the Core and Wood Library guitars would be as good. Quite frankly I was worried they wouldn't be. Well, wonder and worry no more, these two are both AMAZING!! Every guitar is a little different of course, the magic of how the woods combine, but I will say that both pretty much sound as good as the GOM.

The other interesting thing is that I was worried about the "Honey" finished one being a bit heavy for a 594 at 8.25 pounds. It doesn't really feel that heavy, but at the same time it has more weight and substance than the 7.5 pound GOM, and has the tone to match. In some ways, it sounds a little better than the GOM, more girth in a late 50's Singlecut way if you know what I mean. So I encourage you guys not to be afraid of 594's north of 8 pounds. In fact, if this one is any indication, I would recommend gravitating towards those!!

I have said before that the neck tone on my GOM was to die for - well, the same holds true for these two.

At first I was bummed about "losing" the Santana headstock that we had on the Ted McCarty DC 245 model, I was pretty used to that, after having that being my primary playing and gigging guitar for seven years, and owning 15 DC 245 Ted's with that headstock (yes, 15!), plus 11 SC Ted's and McCarty Singlecuts with the Santana Headstock. But I am slowly getting used to the regular PRS headstock on there. ;) I think this model is the most gorgeous Doublecut PRS has ever made, the two piece bridge, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, the 3-way on the upper bout, it just looks so "right" to me, the culmination I guess of growing up worshiping Les Paul guitar players and worshiping the PRS DC 245 for the past 7 years, it is like everything in my guitar universe came together in perfect unison!

Interestingly enough, the neck on the GOM feels a little beefier than these two, the GOM feels a little bigger than WF, these feel about the same as WF. I have two DC 245 Private Stocks at the PTC now, getting some 594'ish tweaks. One with a Pattern Neck and one with a WF. They should be home soon, I will be able to more directly compare them then and comment.

Next up on my PRS Short Scale Doublecut adventure - I have a 594 Semi-Hollow in the oven in Private Stock. I would bet that is coming soon - stay tuned for that here!! ;)

Last edited:
I played three 594s today. For me they were the best sounding, and playing, PRSs I've played in a long time. Amazing job PRS have done, the feel is fantastic.

Got home from a work trip last night, and these two beauties were waiting for me!

So I have one of the GOM 594's, it is really an amazing guitar. One of the things that I wondered about was if the Core and Wood Library guitars would be as good. Quite frankly I was worried they wouldn't be. Well, wonder and worry no more, these two are both AMAZING!! Every guitar is a little different of course, the magic of how the woods combine, but I will say that both pretty much sound as good as the GOM.

The other interesting thing is that I was worried about the "Honey" finished one being a bit heavy for a 594 at 8.25 pounds. It doesn't really feel that heavy, but at the same time it has more weight and substance than the 7.5 pound GOM, and has the tone to match. In some ways, it sounds a little better than the GOM, more girth in a late 50's Singlecut way if you know what I mean. So I encourage you guys not to be afraid of 594's north of 8 pounds. In fact, if this one is any indication, I would recommend gravitating towards those!!

I have said before that the neck tone on my GOM was to die for - well, the same holds true for these two.

At first I was bummed about "losing" the Santana headstock that we had on the Ted McCarty DC 245 model, I was pretty used to that, after having that being my primary playing and gigging guitar for seven years, and owning 15 DC 245 Ted's with that headstock (yes, 15!), plus 11 SC Ted's and McCarty Singlecuts with the Santana Headstock. But I am slowly getting used to the regular PRS headstock on there. ;) I think this model is the most gorgeous Doublecut PRS has ever made, the two piece bridge, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, the 3-way on the upper bout, it just looks so "right" to me, the culmination I guess of growing up worshiping Les Paul guitar players and worshiping the PRS DC 245 for the past 7 years, it is like everything in my guitar universe came together in perfect unison!

Interestingly enough, the neck on the GOM feels a little beefier than these two, the GOM feels a little bigger than WF, these feel about the same as WF. I have two DC 245 Private Stocks at the PTC now, getting some 594'ish tweaks. One with a Pattern Neck and one with a WF. They should be home soon, I will be able to more directly compare them then and comment.

Next up on my PRS Short Scale Doublecut adventure - I have a 594 Semi-Hollow in the oven in Private Stock. I would bet that is coming soon - stay tuned for that here!! ;)

Sweet report! Can't wait!

Thanks for the report, MA Pete. October can't get here fast enough for my 594 to come in.

Back